PDA

View Full Version : Boyds boys doesn't know about painting.

Pro-touring towncar
03-11-2005, 07:39 AM
I was watching an episode ( can't remember which car) Where the paint crew was saying orange peal was acceptable. I have learned from a good friend who is a professional painter. While some orange peal is normal but not the whole car. It doesn't seem like they are too knowledgeable in painting. I know that the proper technic can eliminate orange peal.

Tim

gtome
03-11-2005, 07:55 AM
I dont think there are very many people who can paint bc/cc without getting some orange peel. Some...but not many.

CAMAROBOY69
03-11-2005, 08:33 AM
No matter what you will usually have to wet sand the clear to get a little orange peel out. Not a big deal as long as its all removed.

myclone
03-11-2005, 08:38 AM
As others have said orange peel is normal on just about any paint job but you dont see it that often because a normal part of the painting process is wet sanding and buffing to remove it. When I was in the body shop business there is only one job that I can recall that came out "slick" and didnt require wet sanding and buffing.

gtome
03-11-2005, 08:59 AM
I have seen guys that can do paint jobs that and come out perfect, but they can pretty much command what ever price they want, and they do!! I have found that by using a short throw (3/32") da with a soft pad and paper with the holes, you can do 3/4 of the wet sand job with it and save LOTS of time and headaches. Wet sanding sucks!! One of the biggest benifits is that you are doing it dry and can actually see how much more sanding it needs without even stopping, the dust fills the small orange peel dimples, you just sand til its smooth and cant see the dimples anymore. After painting, I use the da and can usually da it, and have it buffed out in an afternoon. Of corse ther are spots you cant do with a da, but not many (mostly edges).

Travis B
03-11-2005, 09:18 AM
The paint jobs on the high dollar cars built by the top builders have a lot of orange peel! They guys that spray troy's cars will spray the car very dry because fat ladys ass is hard to cut out! Dry orange peel will cut out flatter than wet orange peel! there is no such thing as a paint job that does not need to be cut and buffed (they all have fat ladys ass or orange peel)

68protouring454
03-11-2005, 11:36 AM
exactly, no one out there will have an orange peel free finish, some are damn close, and my sata sprays as flat as any of them, but it also has alot to do with air flow, temp, and clear being used, as much as it is applying it, i would watch the dry sanding, it works but very easy to heat clear p and burn thru, wet with a soft pad and some 1500 works awesome, you do need to squeegee it to see what neds more attention, but once you do it, i can feel when it is there, and if it needs more
jake