PDA

View Full Version : fixing a drill press.

The Stickman
03-13-2009, 01:28 PM
I have a stand up craftsman drill press that I have had for many moons now. Well the chuck fell out shaft and all. Now it will slide back up in but not stay there. Anyone know how to fix this?

GetMore
03-13-2009, 01:53 PM
No.
Actually, I think the shaft sits in a collet. You would need to place the shaft back in there and tighten the nut on the collet. But, I could be totally wrong.

BTW, I know what the "2M4" stands for, but what is the "F" at the end?

Jim Nilsen
03-13-2009, 03:14 PM
If the shaft is a taper ,just press it back on with the action of the press handle and it should be good. You should inspect it to make sure there isn't some other reason it fell off.
If it has threads you need to open it up and look for the nut and washer.you might need a new threaded rod.

Goodluck

6994lt1
03-15-2009, 01:08 PM
look around where ever it is setting to see if you a
+ screw about the size of a 1/4 28. thats prob the one thats holds it on.

Chevy
03-15-2009, 05:58 PM
If the shaft is a taper ,just press it back on with the action of the press handle and it should be good. You should inspect it to make sure there isn't some other reason it fell off.
If it has threads you need to open it up and look for the nut and washer.you might need a new threaded rod.

Goodluck

Pretty sure this is correct...though you may want to clean it up with some steel wool, both mating parts...plenty of Wd-40 and maybe some fine grit sand paper as well (say 300 to 600) if it's been out awhile it's prolly a little corroded and that is why it's not staying in place now.

Double good luck.