PDA

View Full Version : 67 camaro top removal

67 ls1 vert
03-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Can someone tell me or show me where to go for info to remove the top on my camaro? I would like to change it for a new one but for right now I want to lift the rear forward thinking it might make it easier to get to the rear fenders. Doing a mini tub job.

Thanks

67 455 Bird ragtop
03-10-2009, 08:54 AM
How much of the top are you wanting to remove???

67 ls1 vert
03-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Well, I was wondering if I could raise the rear upwards it might make it a little easier to work on the the rear tubs.

I might as well remove the whole thing and replace it with a new one once the tubs have been modified. I was going to wait to save a little money before I changed it out but if it takes a lot to lift the rear up and I'm over half way I might as well change it. ?????

Any advice?

67 455 Bird ragtop
03-11-2009, 09:47 AM
The best you could do with removing it completely would be to unbolt the rear tack strips. Then remove the rear quarter window weatherstrips and remove the top from there. That would allow you to fold the top over the last top bow and might give you the room you are looking for. Hope that makes sense.

67 ls1 vert
03-13-2009, 06:28 PM
thanks for the info. I have been looking around at other sites and everyone says its a pita.

NVR2L8
03-14-2009, 02:01 AM
thanks for the info. I have been looking around at other sites and everyone says its a pita.

I've found that when it comes to tackling a SOB of a job. I spend as much if not more time deciding whether or no to do it. If you just jump on it and get going. It'll be done before you know it.

ProdigyCustoms
03-14-2009, 03:58 AM
We have done a few mini tub convertibles. If you crawl into the backseat, the well liner is attached tp the back seat rest. Detach the well liner from the back seat rest and then you can duck you head under the well liner and get to the rear tack strips that hold the top to the rear body. You can remove the rear tack strips without fear. All the top alignment is set when the top is stapled to the tack strips and the tack strips only go in one place.

Also, if you want the top to fold all the way down like it did before the mini tubs after the mini tubs are installed. You will need to change out 2 of the convertible top braces with some different top braces we make. Our top braces have a different bend to them so they do not bottom out on the larger mini tubs anymore. Otherwise the top will only fold to about 5 inches above the normal fully folded position.

67 ls1 vert
03-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Good info, thanks Frank. I will call you guys when I get a chance.

1BADRS
03-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Its about time someone helped this poor guy out!
Thanks Frank!

:1st:

minendrews68
03-21-2009, 08:01 AM
We have done a few mini tub convertibles. If you crawl into the backseat, the well liner is attached tp the back seat rest. Detach the well liner from the back seat rest and then you can duck you head under the well liner and get to the rear tack strips that hold the top to the rear body. You can remove the rear tack strips without fear. All the top alignment is set when the top is stapled to the tack strips and the tack strips only go in one place.

Also, if you want the top to fold all the way down like it did before the mini tubs after the mini tubs are installed. You will need to change out 2 of the convertible top braces with some different top braces we make. Our top braces have a different bend to them so they do not bottom out on the larger mini tubs anymore. Otherwise the top will only fold to about 5 inches above the normal fully folded position.

See.....that's why Frank is Frank :2nd: (couldn't find one that had a 1 on it), but you guys know what I mean.
Carl