PDA

View Full Version : How to match production car colors?

rockdogz
03-10-2005, 12:36 PM
So I see this 2005 Lexus on the street yesterday and I think the color looks pretty cool. From the website, it looks like flint mica. Is it possible to get this exact color from a paint store, or do you have to get it matched, or how would I go about doing this?

Thanks,

Zefhix
03-10-2005, 12:47 PM
So I see this 2005 Lexus on the street yesterday and I think the color looks pretty cool. From the website, it looks like flint mica. Is it possible to get this exact color from a paint store, or do you have to get it matched, or how would I go about doing this?

Thanks,

Every color has a code and mixing formula that an accomplished painter can duplicate. A very good friend of mine works for Akzo-Nobel paints of Las Vegas and mixed my dark shadow grey metallic paint with Sikkens for me that was right off a Ford color I saw on a Mustang. If you're serious about getting it done I'd be more than happy to refer you. I think you'll be surprised how much can be saved by going directly to the source :smoke:

P.S. that Lexus color was one of the colors we considered strongly for the Chevelle but it just seemed to have to much gold in the color for our taste. It's good to stick with a production color in case you have to do touchups or god forbid whole panels years from now.

68protouring454
03-10-2005, 01:44 PM
and i can give you the mixing formula, it should be able to be mixd in any brand paint, base/clear, anyway get the paint code, it should be in drivers door jamb
let me know
jake

gtome
03-11-2005, 08:00 AM
If you go to the paint jobber, they should have color chip books listed by years and makes, you can thumb through and pick the color you like.

JoshStratton
03-11-2005, 09:56 AM
If you go to a paint supply shop like a PPG outfitter, you can buy the paint chip books for like 5 bucks for whatever year you want. They have chips from just about any model/make car, and I think some custom colors as well...paint code too. I got the PPG books for 1998 and 1999 that way. Been 2 years since I got them...but I assume they are still available.

rockdogz
04-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Ok, so I found out from the dealer that the paint code is 1EO. Now how can I get a small sample of this paint so that I can try it out and see if I like it?
Thanks,

68protouring454
04-21-2005, 02:46 AM
call a local autobody paint supplier and see what the smallest amount they can mix up, usually 1/2 to 1 pint is smallest, you will need some reducer too
jake

ProdigyCustoms
04-21-2005, 03:22 AM
You will also need some clear but will have to buy a quart kit which could be, $50 to $100. Or you can also use a $3 can of aerosol Krylon, Rustoleum, etc. enamel clear to make it shine so you can see the real color. The base coat will not look anything like the cleared product.

Also, the paint supplier can give you a spray card that is black and white so you know when you have full coverage, and how many coats it takes. Tape one to a paint paddle and spray. Oh yeah, paint paddles are free.

68protouring454
04-21-2005, 03:57 AM
good thought about spray card
jake

gtome
04-21-2005, 07:09 AM
Most PPG jobbers will mix you 4 ounces if you wanted to spray it yourself. The cards we use have 4 different colors, one white, and the rest are different shades of grey. They give you different shades of the paint depending on what primer color you use.

rockdogz
04-21-2005, 07:31 AM
Thanks. So all paint colors can be described by a 3 letter/number combination? Weird.

I was thinking of using this grey as my base and doing black stripes, instead of going all black. I want to try out the combination on an old fender to see how it will look. To apply stripes, do I lay down the 3-5 coats of base, then wait until it's dry (or just flashed?) and then tape for the stripes - or should I let it sit for a day or so before taping? Then clear both?

Thanks, appreciate the help...

Ralph LoGrasso
04-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Tom,

Which model lexus was the color off of? There's a few different grays that lexus makes, but they're all really nice. I'm using a lexus color called "graphite gray pearl", but I got that name off of an '03 or '04 and I'm wondering if they've changed grays for '05. I agree with the rest, using a production color is the best, especially for repairs or touch ups in the future.

rockdogz
04-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Ralph,
I think it was an RX300 or something like that, but I think you can get it on any model. I just picked up a pint of it today, so I will be testing it out on an old fender to see if it's the same & I like it or not.

Here's a link to colors - the second one (http://www.lexus.com/models/rx/exterior_colors.html)

ProdigyCustoms
04-21-2005, 04:19 PM
2 things Rock.

1 As far as taping stripes, you can go base over base. One problem though is if there is any spot the tape lifts slightly, or any place over spray from the stripe color gets to the main color. You cannot do anything about it. Also, there is a high risk of staining base with sweat drops, hand or forearm prints, etc, while leaning over to run the stripes as the base is no catalyzed and is very porous. Also, since the base is a non catalyzed evaporation dry, the reducers pulling through the base have a tendency to try to lift the tape, espeically in sharp corners of stripes, causing all the issues I refer to above.

I always flash clear the main color with a over reduced coat of clear and stripe the next day. Then if any of the above situations occur, I can wipe of smudges, or over spray can be removed with 1500 grit, or even base reducer wiped quickly. If you try to remove over spray from base with reducer, you wipe the base away. If you try to sand it, you see it when cleared.

2 Black is beautiful!

rockdogz
04-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the tips Frank - great stuff I didn't think about. Wasn't sure if the stripe base would go ok over clear.

Yeah, I've had my heart set on black from the beginning... this color was cool though

ProdigyCustoms
04-22-2005, 02:28 AM
You will need to scotchbrite the clear, no big deal.

tndude
04-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Here is the Flint Mica on an actual car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13474&item=4544652611&rd=1

Ralph LoGrasso
04-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the response, Tom. RX300 was the model I saw the color on, also. I guess they switched up grays for '05.