PDA

View Full Version : Minitub shocks

LS1NOVA
08-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Is the DSE shock crossmember that you install in the trunk a necessity when doing the tubs. Has anyone just used shorter shocks, or do they not have enough travel?

baz67
08-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Well, no it is not neciessity, but you WILL have shock mounting problems. By doing the minitub you lose the upper shock mounts. You could weld in a tubular crossmember between the rear frame rails. If you lower your car, by doing that you can run into clearance issues with the rear end and the tubular crossmember. You could also cut holes in the trunk and weld a tubular crossmember in the trunk. There are other options, but it would be much less hassle to just put in the crossmember.
Brian

jeffandre
08-27-2004, 04:41 PM
I re-engineered my lower shock mounts to drop the mounting points about the same amount as the top mounting points dropped once they were moved inboard of the frame rails. If I had to do it over I probably would have just built a recessed channel/bracket similar to the DSE style. Unfortunately I have more time and material than money, leading to uniquely engineered stuff all over my car!

Jeff Andre'