PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Truetrac

derekf
03-10-2005, 04:10 AM
Ok, it's about time to go from pegleg to something that drives both axles.

I've got myself convinced that I want to go with a Detroit Truetrac... but from looking at the application guide (http://www.detroittruetrac.com/images/TT-List-LTPM1004.pdf) I'm not sure which one is correct for me.

The first question is 30 vs 33 spline axles. It looks like from my reading that if my axles are the factory originals (which I believe them to be) they'd be 30 spline. Is there any way my axles would be 33 spline without having spiffy machined axle ends?

I've gone through the list of vendors on their site and haven't found any of them that actually seem to have the GM car applications listed on their websites - where is the best place to go to buy a TrueTrac?

And lastly, if you've got some knowledge of a reason why I shouldn't buy one please post it - after I spend the cash it's too late.

dennis68
03-10-2005, 06:48 AM
No Derek. No way you have 33-spline axles and don't know it. You should be replacing your axles anyways though and why not step up to a 33-spline?

Summit and Jegs can get just about anything even if it isn't listed in their catalog, give them a shout.

Any special reason you choose the helical gear method rather than the clutch system. I am a big fan of the Detroit, it's the only one I haven't had to fix.

derekf
03-10-2005, 07:53 AM
I liked the helical gears as there's not a clutch to wear out, and the diff won't mind if I have to put a spare on the back that's not the exact same diameter.

Hadn't really thought about calling Summit - I'm so anti-phone that if it's not on their website my initial thought is that I can't get it. I'll give them a call - thanks!