PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever installed a 69 Camaro tank in a 68 to smooth the rear panel?

RSSS391
03-09-2005, 11:50 PM
I used to love the way my old 69 Camaro gas tank filler neck was tucked behind the license plate and lately I have had the thought of swapping a 69 tank into my 68 so that I could smooth out the rear tailight panel. I think the visual effect will be to make the car appear wider and lower. Another option could be to leave the gas cap in place but then use it as a cover for a battery disconnect while racing (old street/drag racer trick).

But as simple as it sounds...I have never heard of anyone trying it. Any thoughts out there about difficulty of the mod or visual result?

jacobm99
05-12-2005, 06:15 PM
I am interested in this aswell, did you ever find anything out?

TA219
05-13-2005, 11:03 AM
It doesnt seem like it would be too hard, it will be interesting to see if anyone has done this
<<< interested in the idea also

CamaroRS_SS
04-29-2007, 07:47 AM
I noticed this old thread and figured that I would post a response. It has been a long time since I installed a 69' tank in my 68'. I have since removed it, I will tell you the story and what mods (very little) were needed. In the late 1980's I was down in the southwest and developed a leak in my gas tank on my 1968 RS-SS. I went to the local junkyard in ElPaso TX and purchased what they informed me was a 1968 Camaro gas tank for $25.00... (ahh the good old days!! lol) I brought everything up to my friends house at White Sands NM and we proceeded to swap the units out. At which point we realized that the tanks were different. We installed the 69' tank anyhow as I needed a tank that would not leak. It mounted right in flawlessly with the exception that we had to design a frame to hinge the rear liscence plate to access the filler cap. I also used a smaller locking cap instead of the large SS cap, that I left in place on the rear panel. It was a sharp set up, but I wanted my machine original, so I eventually repaired the 68' tank and reinstalled it. If anyone was thinking of attempting it, it can be easily done in an afternoon with the right tools. Good Luck!!