PDA

View Full Version : Sub - Powered or Custom?

fantasygoat
03-02-2009, 02:05 PM
I've been thinking of getting a nice cheap powered sub and I was wondering what people thought of them.

I've done the custom box thing and they work well, but they're expensive and really heavy, and if the packaged ones are decent I'd rather just do that.

cw67
03-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I have a 6" powered bazooka tube in my truck. It has good quality sound. I didn't want large expensive system, just a good sound with extra bass. I think the 8" or 10" would be even better for stronger bass.

chris

tombar67
03-19-2009, 01:35 PM
for the money,size, and weight they are good. You want to spend more, you get more.

mjoc1
04-10-2009, 09:37 PM
you should go with an amp and sub seperatly. I would recommend JL audio for the sub.

Mike

JChristian1835
04-11-2009, 04:29 AM
It's as simple as this... if you are looking for alittle more low end, the all in one deals are the best bang for the buck. If you want good sound quality and a nice deep bass sound go with them seperately (most of the all in ones have a downfall of a shallow throw distance of the actual woofer). You can find a good seperate setup fairly cheap. You can look at a fiberglass box setup if you are worried about weight or I know they make prefabbed ones just for certain cars. Which all in one setup are you looking at getting?

lbdz28
04-27-2009, 11:07 AM
I added an Infinity powered sub to my system and it made a big difference. Would recommend them.

MonzaRacer
04-27-2009, 07:36 PM
If your looking for some bass look into Aura Bass Shakers.
I also dont worry about boxes anymore as I had 2 10" Blaupunkt Pro Components subs ran free air with PAC 6.4 mH coils and 2 4 way 6x9s in my 71 Monte and it was awesome.
Trunk acted like a box, not too boomy not to light, I have a Marantz Mono Block setup (amp) turns out they only made 1500 of and it still works awesome in my truck, may have to pull it for Monza soon.

IrvJr
09-29-2009, 08:21 AM
I always liked the seperate components. I have always had good luck with Pioneer subs. They are relatively cheap and sound great. I have a dual vc now and its amazing.

mc84_zz4
10-04-2009, 11:44 PM
You can get a single 12" sub that uses 1 cubic foot of volume, which does not weigh much, add some dynamat to the inside of a cheap box, add some fiberfill, and it will hit like a sledhammer.

I used one Infinity perfect 12 and it outperforms my friends dual 12"s.

I only wanted some more bump and was truly floored with the results, the box was meant as a temporary until I built a custom box, but i'm keeping it, it's all about the sound for me.