PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal canister?

rockdogz
03-09-2005, 03:01 PM
I'm running a ram-jet 502 in a '68 camaro, rock valley tank, in-tank pump. The tank has a vent - should this go to a charcoal canister and then to the intake? If so, where can I get a charcoal canister that would work - anyone have a GM part number?
Thanks,

awr68
03-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Yes a charcoal canister is a good idea, but that's where it stops, it doesn't go to the intake...that line is only to vent the tank. You should have two other -AN fittings that are for a supply (on the pump) and return (I beleive it's also on the pump), these are to get fuel to and from the motor. Sorry no part number for the CC.....

dennis68
03-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Actually the other end of the canister is supposed to go to a solenoid to be vented into the engine at cruise throttle. You could also run it into the air intake so at least the vent fumes will mostly get reburned in the engine.

EFI69Cam
03-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Actually the other end of the canister is supposed to go to a solenoid to be vented into the engine at cruise throttle. You could also run it into the air intake so at least the vent fumes will mostly get reburned in the engine.

use your tcc output to trigger the solenoid.

rockdogz
03-09-2005, 10:38 PM
What's tcc? There's a vacuum port on the throttle body just above the PCV valve port, and I'm wondering if this is where the fuel tank vent goes (yes, I already have the fuel supply and return lines). I can't find anything in the documentation that says what this port is for, and there is already a port on the underside of the manifold for power brakes, etc.

JL8Jeff
03-10-2005, 05:30 AM
Take a look at the 93-95 LT1 setup and that will show the EVAP line coming from the charcoal cannister to the solenoid that helps vent the fumes into the manifold. I have a canniser at home in the GM box so I can get the part # tonight if you want. I'll look for the link to the schematics.

Check this link for tons of 4th gen information and pictures and drawings. Here's a sample showing the EVAP purge valve. It vents to the throttle body, not the intake.

4th Gen F-body page (http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/03/evap_sol-1.jpg

dennis68
03-10-2005, 06:43 AM
TCC is torque converter control for automatic transmissions.

Yes the vaccum port could be used for evap vent if it isn't supposed to be anyways. Make sure to go through a solenoid, you don't want to just go straight from the canister to the intake.

EFI69Cam
03-10-2005, 08:57 AM
TCC is torque converter control for automatic transmissions.

Yes the vaccum port could be used for evap vent if it isn't supposed to be anyways. Make sure to go through a solenoid, you don't want to just go straight from the canister to the intake.

TCC is the torque converter control. On my Accel Gen 7, the parameters to activate the TCC are perfect for canister purge, engine at temp, TPS off idle, low manifold pressure.

If you have a MEFI3 or 4, you unfortunatly are out of luck, as there is no appropriate output to use.

I am basicially duplicating the 95 LT1 Camaro fuel system inluding the canister, the vent valve, and the roll over valve/vapor separator. If you don't use the vapor separator, you will end up filling the canister up with liquid fuel, this is what happened to me.

hotrod
03-17-2005, 06:15 PM
I have the 350 ramjet and the Rock Valley tank in a '79 Camaro. I bought a canister for a '70 Camaro from Classic Industries which vents to the atmosphere. Works great, no hassles. At least so far. After reading your post EFI69Cam I am wondering, but that's the way they were hooked up in the early 70's I believe. OOPS! I went out and checked and I took a line direct into a tee on the back of the manifold. (senior moment?) :hammer:

69Myway
03-18-2005, 05:43 AM
On my 69 Vette with Pro Flow EFI on the 454, I bought a full size chevy 1995 ish truck can. I ran a vent from the tank through a loop above the tank (to avoid liquid fuel from getting in there), and to the inlet on the can. I let it vent to the atmosphere and I use a sealed gas cap. Works like a champ. I can park the car in the garage on the hottest of a summer day and no nasty gas fuems get out into the garage or house.

On my 69 Camaro with a LS1, I duplicated the stock purge system using a can and tank vent solenoid from a 2003 Avalanche. These new cans are cool and more compact than the older large coffee can models. This one wires into the pcm and runs back to the actual purge on the intake to the engine.

One other option you have is to simply duplicate the purge that was used on the older vehicles without computers and can be duplicated off of a 79 chevy truck, etc. This will however require the use of one of those thermal switches on the manifold, but would avoid the need for any wiring issues.

My vote is to get the full size chevy truck can and just let it vent to the atmosphere. You won't have any problems with that.