PDA

View Full Version : Soda blasting conversion kit?

Josh
02-27-2009, 10:27 AM
So I see in the Eastwood catalog they have a conversion kit for your standard HF sand blaster to soda for $130. It is just a couple of fittings and a hose. From what I can see, the only difference from the sand set up is the extra clear colored hose. What is that extra hose for? I would like to just buy an extra fitting and hose and be done with it for 10 bucks!

Declawed69
02-27-2009, 03:21 PM
It's for purging the blaster. Just put it in a bucket, cover with a towel or something to keep the dust down and open the valve.

MonzaRacer
03-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Doesnt work, if soda blasting try this unit http://www.chesapeakesodaclean.com/pages/2c1/BB-25-soda-blaster.html.
Properly designed systems and proper material is essential.

Declawed69
04-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Actually I have the eastwood converted blaster (the made in USA ALC one) and it works quite well after finally being able to use it. It takes FOREVER to go through 50lbs of soda using a 1/8 tip but that's all the cfm my compressor(15.7cfm) can handle. It will look like it snowed after your done even with a water sprayer (I used a durablock wetsanding sprayer zip tied to the nozzle).

blainemeyer
04-24-2009, 06:30 PM
I bought the Eastwood combo blaster last year, it was one of the smaller 100 lbs. units. It is supposed to be able to use Soda and other blast material came with 2 sets of fittings, 1 for soda and 1 for other material. Purge tube worked great but that was all that worked. I couldn't get it work at all and ended up returning it. I see they have since increased the inner dianeter of the fittings. Wondere if this was due to the units not working??? Maybe the newer units work better. I bought a simple gravity feed unit from Northern Tools last week, 89.00, I know its no soda blaster but it is simple and works great. I use Amber Blast from Northern Tools, 10 bucks for 50lbs bag, no silica or coal, comes in medium and fine.

Declawed69
04-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Did you play with the throttle valve settings? It had to be the right balance of air going to the tank and the hose to work. At first I had 100% to the tank and was going WTF as it was just belching soda with no velocity what so ever. But once I found the sweet spot it worked wonders. It does however leave some soda at the bottom of the hopper and you sorta have to shake it to get to the feed tube. I bought mine around may 2008.