PDA

View Full Version : Electrolysis - College Senior Project

cheapthrillz
02-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey guys, I just wanted to introduce my senior project this (my last) semester in college. My group and I are going to test out an electrolysis machine to see what kind of results we can get out of it. We've got two gas powered 4 cycle yamaha golf carts that are the same model. They had been sitting up for about 8 years, but we got one of them in running order, and right now were working on getting it tuned. Our professor is ordering an exhaust gas analyzer that he wants us to use, so that will be interesting too.

The electrolysis system will be your standard anode/diode in electrolyte solution. We're first going to field test on a track to see if we can get more fuel economy, then we will test on a dyno to see if there are any horsepower gains/losses. I know that there is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine, but we're gonna test this out anyway. We have a limited budget, but we can get some things that we may need (ie. exhaust gas analyzer $4000)

If anybody has any suggestions or helpful hints, I'm all ears. Any ideas at all WILL be considered.

I figured you guys would be very helpful, and also, I will try to keep this updated as often as possible.... Pictures, findings, and all.

Boyd
02-27-2009, 08:55 AM
I have no ideas to offer, but just wanted to say - cool project and good luck! I'm anxious to see what the results are.

Damn True
02-27-2009, 09:34 AM
This should be interesting.

Twentyover
02-27-2009, 09:40 AM
This a permutation on 'Browns gas?' Hasn't it been debunked enough already?

Just make sure you measure power inout into the alternator.

cheapthrillz
02-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks guys, I'm really skeptical about this project too, but one of my group members swears by it. We are going to try to keep a check on every power source being affected by the system.

BossaNova
02-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Oh snap. I thought this was gonna be a thread about hair removal.

GetMore
02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Depending what you need the exhaust gas analyzer for you might just want ot talk to a shop that has one. Old dyno shops might have them, auto inspection stations might have them, etc.
All you are looking for is the difference between the emissions from the gasoline powered version and the brown's gas enhanced one, right?

cheapthrillz
02-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Depending what you need the exhaust gas analyzer for you might just want ot talk to a shop that has one. Old dyno shops might have them, auto inspection stations might have them, etc.
All you are looking for is the difference between the emissions from the gasoline powered version and the brown's gas enhanced one, right?

What we're going to do is tune the cart with the analyzer w/o electrolysis and then again when we put the system on. The exhaust gas analyzer has already been ordered because our professor was going to order one anyway. He's just going to let us use it for our testing. We will tune the cart without the electrolysis and establish a baseline efficiency, then we will put the electrolysis system on and retune the carb, then test the efficiency once more. But to answer your question, no.... we will tune for each setup for maximum fuel burning/consumption, then see how far the same amount of fuel will take us.

If time permits, we will also try to convert the cart to run on ethanol and test it that way too....

formula
03-11-2009, 04:10 PM
might be interesting to do a natural gas conversion, too, if you have time...

i'll keep thinking.:lurk:

cheapthrillz
03-11-2009, 05:03 PM
might be interesting to do a natural gas conversion, too, if you have time...

i'll keep thinking.:lurk:

Not sure if our budget or timeline can handle that, but I will mention it.... who knows, maybe next year, another group could do that.

DvBoard
03-12-2009, 07:26 PM
One of our teams did a similar project for their capstone project senior year in college. It was basically a failure since they failed to show any improvement, and the teacher tore them apart over the whole conversion of energy bit that makes such a system highly unlikely to work.

JustJohn
11-04-2019, 08:14 AM
I can help you out with CNG of LNG injectors. We make an OE version of each type.

ryeguy2006a
11-04-2019, 10:42 AM
What was I doing 10 years ago....