PDA

View Full Version : 69 Z28

wendell
03-08-2005, 02:41 PM
I have the oppertunity to purchase a 69 Z/28 for pretty short money. The car is a restoration canidate with one problem... the DZ302 is long gone. What does this do to the restoration value of the car? Also, is it worth finding a DZ302 for it even though the #s wouldn't match? Any input is appriciated.
Jensen

68BNUT
03-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Just like any car with out the original motor it will be worth less, but with the way 69 z28's are goin dont think you need to worry about that besides ive seen a couple dz302 engines and parts for them come through here on the for sale section.

wendell
03-09-2005, 05:24 AM
Thanks Justin,
Ive hear conflicting reports on the availability of DZ parts. I'm going to give the car a better look this weekend and will report back. Thans again,Jensen

Jagarang
03-09-2005, 05:32 AM
It may not be that difficult to find a numbers matching motor, if the car is a late year production unit. I'm no number guru by any means, but I think it just needs to be dated prior to the cars assembly. Obviously if the car in a Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr code car it will be harder to find an early motor to go in. Are the transmission types indicated in the motor stampings? If so then this re-enforces the benifit of the car being a late production.

ProdigyCustoms
03-09-2005, 06:15 AM
Numbers matching is everything to value, more today then yesterday because of skyrocketing values. Clone cars and incorrect cars are bringing good money, but REAL cars are bringing big money, but they have to be correct and number matching. You will need to first verify that it is indeed and true Z28, it seems every Camaro with no motor or a wrong motor becomes a Z28 in the sellers mind. Then if the car turns out to be legit, and if you want to maximize your out, as jagarang mentioned, you will need to find a correct dated block. Weather you spend the $200 to rent the stamps to make it number matching is up to you. The value difference with a number matching motor and a correct 302 could easily be 50% value. Without a correct 302, it becomes just a Camaro.
Plan to spend north of $10k on the motor buying the correct dated parts. Z28s are strong right now, but remebr, they are all Z28s when the motor is missing, Do you homework to be certain it is a Z28, as you will have a harder time convincing the next buyer when the car is $50K instead of $5k, or whatever it is now.

wendell
03-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Sage advise guys,
I know enough about the #s game to find out if its a real Z/28. I'd like to get a better feel for the difference in value between a #s Z/28 and a period correct Z/28(non original DZ motor).

As an aside, I was able to buy the 1967 #s RS w/ protecto-plate that was sitting next to it for the last 15 years. After searching for a 1st gen for two years, I just might have two before I know it!

Thanks for the input,
Jensen

Charley Lillard
03-09-2005, 02:09 PM
These days everyone seems to be stamping engines so paperwork is what really adds value. Any protecto plate or window sticker ? Norwood car with X77 or X33 ? If it is a LA built car take a glance at the drivers side top of the gas tank and look for a build sheet. Good colors and options ? I would guess a 10K swing in value if orig engine is gone. A real X code Z with a correct engine will still bring good money even if it not the orig. one.

ProdigyCustoms
03-09-2005, 04:36 PM
I agree with Charlie. Just make sure the tag is real, repos are only a couple hun.

wendell
03-10-2005, 04:40 AM
Thanks guys,
What are some of the more desirable colors and options?

ProdigyCustoms
03-10-2005, 04:57 AM
Black, Daytona Yellow, Hugger Orange, Garnet Red, Lemans Blue, Cortez Silver, mayby even in that order. Yellow cars with yellow houndstooth can rewrite record books. Houndstooth or even deluxe is a big. Tach and gauges is big because so many think it is standard. Also heater / radio delete factory racers are neat too.
RS is the single most desireable option besides the obvious cross ram and JL8s. A RS, houndstooth, good color Z28 with a wood wheel, gauges, AM/FM, can really ding the bell right now.
Greens and Golds are tough sells against equally brite cars. Even though recent new car trends show a popularity in these greens, golds, pewters, etc. It was the 60s, tie die and color so color is what most want!

wendell
03-10-2005, 06:55 AM
Prodigy,
Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for! I really appriciate it. The car is presently Lemans w/ white stripes, white interior, console gauges radio and wood wheel. I haven't seen the car since I bought my RS and can't wait till saturday to get a real good look.

On a diffent note: I'm a big fan of the work you're doing down in FL. I agree with the old/new blend coupled with performance. Its a fine line and I think you're nailing it. Keep it up!
Jensen

Charley Lillard
03-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Those are good colors and options.

mikes69z
04-05-2005, 08:54 AM
And even the 302 can be faked. From the exterior, it's a 350 block with the fuelie heads, cast covers, and high rise intake. When you're looking for a 302 for this car, be sure to get Jerry MacNeish's book to be sure all your casting / part numbers are correct - especically the crankshaft!

wendell
04-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the input. I looked at the car and am nolonger interested at the current price. I've got my hands full with my 67 right now. J