PDA

View Full Version : LS1 Rear Discs on an A-Body

Stage1
03-08-2005, 12:41 PM
I have a couple questions about the 98+ LS1 rear disc swap. I have a 70 Chevelle with a 12 bolt and I have read this setup will simply bolt on. Will it work with 15" factory wheels? Also, I need an e-brake because the car is a standard, do the e-brake brackets (GM part# 10289539 and 10289540) fit with the lower control arm mounting brackets? One last question, where do the calipers mount, are they in front or behind the axle, and are they the same on both sides. Thanks for your help, the snow is starting to melt up here in Canada and I can't wait to get the car back on the streets.

Rob

Zefhix
03-08-2005, 11:37 PM
I have a couple questions about the 98+ LS1 rear disc swap. I have a 70 Chevelle with a 12 bolt and I have read this setup will simply bolt on. Will it work with 15" factory wheels? Also, I need an e-brake because the car is a standard, do the e-brake brackets (GM part# 10289539 and 10289540) fit with the lower control arm mounting brackets? One last question, where do the calipers mount, are they in front or behind the axle, and are they the same on both sides. Thanks for your help, the snow is starting to melt up here in Canada and I can't wait to get the car back on the streets.

Rob

Yes, they bolt right up to your rear. The calipers face forward of the rotor and I'm pretty sure your 15s will not fit as it's a close shave with the 16" rims the LS1 cars normally came with. I know there is inteferance issues with alot of cars and the ebrake but I don't know the specifics for the A-Bodys. I'm avoiding this by using a pinion mounted ebrake which Peter Lohr makes at www.einstyn.com

deadcarny
07-07-2005, 08:41 AM
I have not hooked up the E brake yet, but everything else went right on. Your 15"s will not fit unless you grind the calipers (not what I would do IMO, but I know a lot of 4th gens that have done this for 15" slicks). the only interference I can see for the E brake would be finding how to route the cables and have them work with the pedal. I am sure it should be fairly easy. The cables are supposed to come over the axle and from the back to the backing plate. I do not think the stock brackets will work on the rear though. I can see if I can find my brackets and mock them up for some pics for you.