PDA

View Full Version : Best head unit?

fantasygoat
02-18-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm looking for recommendations on a head unit for my car.

I'd like it to have built-in Bluetooth support and a decent interface to control an iPod.

It will be driving an external amp so it doesn't need a built-in amp at all. Line out only.

Sound quality is #1, followed by user interface. The Kenwood I got in my daily driver has all the above but the user interface is so bad it actually pisses me off.

Any recommendations welcome!

$Mike70Z-28
02-18-2009, 12:13 PM
alpine good units:git:

98ssnova
02-18-2009, 06:02 PM
I like clarion or eclispe (sp)?

formula
02-18-2009, 08:23 PM
alpine, eclipse, and clarion are my 3 favs. Have a clarion in my car but just because I got it for a song. Alpine tends to be the most feature-rich.

fantasygoat
02-19-2009, 11:56 AM
I was hoping some people had specific experience rather than a general opinion.

I purchased my last head unit online based on "this brand is good" and the unit works and provides the features advertised, but the interface is terrible and Bluetooth functionality is like a string between two tin cans.

All the custom stereo shops in town seem to have gone out of business so it's Best Buy or nothing, and they sell crap, so it's hard for me to "test drive" head units.

bbcc
02-19-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm rocking the cd5 series that came out before this one (http://www.eclipse-web.com/us/cd/cd5030overviews.html) from eclipse. I love this headunit. Interface makes sense, love the 5v preout, usb and ipod interface rocks. All around a good hu. The only bad thing is the joystick control knob. Was kinda lame to get used to, but after a couple weeks I got the hang of it. What would happen is if you try and taggle through the menu while driving, your finger would bounce a little and the joystick would bugger off somewhere that your didn't want it to. But the new one looks like it has fixed that with directional arrows. For bluetooth, I don't use it. But the new one looks like it has improved hands free and data streaming if your into that.

barno68
02-20-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm rocking the cd5 series that came out before this one (http://www.eclipse-web.com/us/cd/cd5030overviews.html) from eclipse. I love this headunit. Interface makes sense, love the 5v preout, usb and ipod interface rocks. All around a good hu. The only bad thing is the joystick control knob. Was kinda lame to get used to, but after a couple weeks I got the hang of it. What would happen is if you try and taggle through the menu while driving, your finger would bounce a little and the joystick would bugger off somewhere that your didn't want it to. But the new one looks like it has fixed that with directional arrows. For bluetooth, I don't use it. But the new one looks like it has improved hands free and data streaming if your into that.

That looks like a really nice unit, especially for under $300.

claytonisbob
02-20-2009, 12:10 PM
The Alpine CDA-9887 sounds to be a very good unit, especially if you rent the IMPRINT module to tune it.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9887

69LT1Nova
02-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Eclipse is very nice stuff. Simple interface and a powerful head unit.

I've run 4 different Pioneer Premier (not the base model) head units in different cars for the last 10 years and never had one fail. Sound great, lots of features and preamp outs, and some decent power! My current head unit is going on 4 years of hard use.

Kenwood = bad, bad, bad.

nekkidhillbilly
02-21-2009, 09:08 AM
i have a pioneer dd i like it

1969CamaroRS
02-21-2009, 04:03 PM
The Alpine CDA-9887 sounds to be a very good unit, especially if you rent the IMPRINT module to tune it.

What I am planning on going with, seems to have really good reviews for both CD and IPod playback. If you don't care about a CD, look at the IDA-x100 or the new model IDA-X305 for IPod features.

CRead01
02-21-2009, 09:54 PM
I have had quite a few different brands but only have been happy with a few.

I always have liked the sound quality and features of alpine but I dont personally care for the asthetics of them. Personally I think there are many very good sound quality head units out right now. I wanted 5.1 surround in my car so right now I am running a jvc unit that I am very happy with. They have bluetooth and an ipod input.

nekkidhillbilly
02-22-2009, 05:58 PM
i have had 3 jvcs fry on me

mjoc1
02-23-2009, 12:30 PM
I like the Kenwood. The new excelon line is supposed to be very good I am looking into getting the KDC-993 it is coming out march or april.

Mike

69LT1Nova
02-23-2009, 01:25 PM
I like the Kenwood. The new excelon line is supposed to be very good I am looking into getting the KDC-993 it is coming out march or april.

Mike

Dude! Didn't I already say this? Kenwood = bad bad bad. Save your money.

I had one in the wife's car. It fried. It was an Excelon unit.

Installed ones for buddies. 2 out of 3 died.

I sure hope their quality has gotten better lately. Just my $0.02.

mjoc1
02-24-2009, 12:36 AM
I have used Kenwood for years never had a problem with them or sony every other companies head units have given me trouble I have installed 50-60 head units in friends car.

Mike

nekkidhillbilly
02-25-2009, 12:35 AM
i have had 3 pioneers never had any problems with any of them one ive had since 98

CapSS92
02-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Pioneer just came out with some new Bluetooth head units that look decent. I've used them for years with no problems. I like that the new Pioneer h/u have USB connections for loading my music memory sticks too.

hifi875
02-28-2009, 01:50 PM
alpine far and away. even their low end decks will outperform pioneer kenwood sony upper end decks with their superior pre-amp circuitry. cda-9887 has best d/a processor 24bit available. and true 4v preout

MonzaRacer
02-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Well considering i have about $3000 in pioneer garbage in closet from previous installs that died in less than 90 days each but still have a Kenwood CD palyer dated 1994 still going in buddies rock crawler, he rolled truck and it never skipped!
Never have had bad Kenwood but back when was doing installs the Pioneer crap was breaking nearly right out of the box.

nekkidhillbilly
03-01-2009, 11:52 PM
and i watched a kenwood catch on fire whats your point

arai
03-17-2009, 09:48 PM
What I am planning on going with, seems to have really good reviews for both CD and IPod playback. If you don't care about a CD, look at the IDA-x100 or the new model IDA-X305 for IPod features.

X2......I have the Alpine IDA-X100 and the Imprint with Polk audio componets and a JLAudio 10" in my truck and it sounds amazing.

1969CamaroRS
03-18-2009, 09:28 AM
I think the nice thing about the Alpine IPod decks (X100 and the new one X305) is that they will charge the newer ipods, while the 9887 I don't think does.

tombar67
03-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Alpine. Best sound least problems from my experience

novanutcase
03-20-2009, 12:02 AM
You might want to consider a carputer with a 7" touchscreen. It runs on Windows XP/Vista and you can do NAV/Audio/Video with it. The best thing is you don't even need an Ipod anymore. You can store all your songs in the computer. Transfering songs/info is easy with a USB or a portable/Fixed CD player.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/desktop/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189500616&pgno=2&queryText=&isPrev=

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.403/.f?sc=8&category=101

http://store.mo-co-so.com/

Streetdeck would be a good interface to run for what you want to do:

http://www.streetdeck.com/

Check out this link also for more carputer info:

http://www.mp3car.com/

John

DaSouthWon
03-20-2009, 07:14 AM
I have always had excellent results using Eclipse, and I'd put Alpine in 2nd place. Alpine has always seemed, to me at least, harder to use. Setting up the EQ and time correction has always been a lot of work to get it right. The last head unit that I bought was an Eclipse 8053, I've had it for 6 years and it still works flawlessly. Alpine usually has more features for the same priced unit compared to Eclipse, but many of them almost seemed gimmickey. Eclipse has always focused on SQ and if thats what your after I wouldn't hesitate making my decision.

HWYSTR
04-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Thing with the Eclipse is that you have to step up to the 7200 to get the 24-bit DAC. Super nice stuff, incredible features, but pricey. It though I believe has 2 24-bit DACs, one for DLP specifically. The 5030 is pretty much entry, but does have bluetooth built in. It's a big jump to the 7200, they should have one model in between.

Alpine uses a 24-bit DAC in almost all their' head units, as does Kenwood in the Excelon line. Alpine has decent controls, though the Excelons have better, larger displays. The Excelons require an adapter for bluetooth in all but the top models, but it's not expensive, and you get full control. The Alpine iDA-x305 is a good deal for the money, but the Excelon x592 is a STEAL. You get full features for $120, and that is rediculously cheap. The 692 and 792 I believe both have front panel USB connectors, and all control iPods from the face.

http://ikesound.com/kenwood_kdc_x592

I've got a 792 in the one car, a 692 in another, and have had at least 3 x589s thru x591s, none have failed. I've also installed a number of the x591s and 2s for friends who are looking to replace factory units to have MP3 capabilities, none have had issues, and all are very happy.

It's kind of a waste to spend big bucks on head units, because in 3 years, the technology changes so much, even if it still works, you're going to want a new one. Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, Blaupunkt, JVC, Sony, and Panasonic are all consumer-grade car audio products, and are pretty much all competitive. It's more a matter of opinion when choosing those, aside from price and features. The true high-end car audio componenets you probably wouldn't even recognize the names....

PS- Car head units don't catch fire, just like cars don't blow up like in movies.

fantasygoat
04-07-2009, 09:43 AM
It's funny that you mention the x592 specifically, as that is the head unit I have in my daily driver and it is, by far, the worst piece of crap I've ever used.

The user interface is ABYSMAL. Truly the worst of the worst. The control knobs with joypad functionality are terrible - for example, I will often accidentally end up in the function menu while driving because I accidentally pushed the volume button. Then I have to press a different button to get out. And the 3-step radio station select is just PAINFULLY BAD.

The iPod interface is so bad I won't even bother going into the details, but if you want anything other than "All on Random", forget it - good luck spinning that knob for half an hour to find a band starting with "H".

You have to press two buttons to hang up the phone, and the mic is so bad it's like talking through two tin cans on a string.

Have I used the word "bad" enough? I recommend AVOIDING this head unit if at all possible!

Based on the info here I will probably go with the Alpine.

HWYSTR
04-07-2009, 10:14 AM
I saw that in your initial post, the start to this thread, and realize you have issues dealing with the interface. The joy stick thing is something that takes getting used to, and Kenwood listened to the customers, and no longer is using it in new models. Considering the number of functions a head unit these days has to deal with, it's a challenge to design a control and interface. If you have trouble with that one, you're not going to do much better with others, even if they are easier. Like I mentioned, for the money, the 591, 592 is a steal, 24-bit, 4v outs, built in crossover, and 3 pre-outs. In my driver, since I have everything pretty much set to where I like it, the only buttons I need to deal with is the volume, source, and track changes. Cake. Over and down is the key to the stick.

The new x305 Alpine is a sweet unit, and is only $220, the x303 is $190. For that money, give it a try, see if you like it. Shoot, the bluetooth interface costs that!

BumpaD_Z28
04-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm looking for recommendations on a head unit for my car.

I'd like it to have built-in Bluetooth support and a decent interface to control an iPod.

It will be driving an external amp so it doesn't need a built-in amp at all. Line out only.

Sound quality is #1, followed by user interface. The Kenwood I got in my daily driver has all the above but the user interface is so bad it actually pisses me off.

Any recommendations welcome!

"I" have always thought that the best HU for a classic car (line out only) is ...

The Mcintosh MX-406 :

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/Mcintosh-mx406-car-cd-player.asp

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

DUAL 20 bit D/A convertors :)
THD 0.004% (1kHz) :bananna2:

~DaVe

Ash
04-20-2009, 05:24 AM

Haven't used it myself.....but when researching a new head-unit for my DD Volvo xc70, most of the reviews were outstanding. You'll also need the KTX-100EQ at $249.00, but can e "rented" from crutchfield.

The only thing I hate apout Pioneer, is you get nickel and dimed to death. XM kit, HD Adapter, bluetooth, back up camera, I-Pod adapter, and on and on. Most All considered "Expandability features" that add up

I'm real happy with my Double Din Jenson VM9022HD. They included everything. and I mean everything. HD Radio, Back-Up Camera input, Bluetooth, 5.1 suround sound with center channel amp, I-Pod control/Charger, USB, SD card....$400.00 for the receiver and $100.00 for the XM kit. Can't beat it for the money.

PARKERRS
04-23-2009, 12:10 PM
I used the Alpine 9857 in my last build ( now upgraded and called the 9887). The I-pod interface is great you couldn't get any simpler or more complete. I also installed the Siruis module and it is trouble free both to install and use. Bluetooth is available but I didn't want or need it so I can't comment on that.

With the 9857 I am running a 450 watt Alpine amp ( MRF-450) with component Infinity Kappas up front and 6x9 infinity Kappa rears. No sub and in a second Gen. Camaro the sound is truly wonderful. With the qaulity and sound from this combo over the last three years I couldn't go any other route. The new build will have the Alpine CDA-9887 with sat and I-pod tied to a PDX-4.150 amp and a PDX-2.150 amp both from Alpine. I will also be staying with the Infinity speakers but adding a 10" sub and two 3.5" speakers in the center of the dash, along with the front 6.5" components and 6x9 rears.

killer67
01-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Kenwood excelon line is my preferred brand

DippedInSauce
05-10-2010, 03:57 AM
The kenwood DNX-9240 is the best head unit on the market hands down. :machine:

Cdog
05-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Just so you guy's know. Eclipse is stopping business in N America. No more Ecliplse products in N America.

I just put in 2 Alpine 900 Navi double din unts in our Escalade and Silverado. First Alpine for me. Very impressed.

Jim Nilsen
05-11-2010, 02:36 PM
The title to this thread makes me think of more than just audio equipment, I don't know if I should be ashamed or smile,LOL

It made me think of the movie Cherry 2000

PT Sportwagon
05-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I have used Alpine in most of my compitition systems, never let me down. However I am using a high end Kenwood Excelon deck in my wagon, It has the mask system, that flips the face.

Tim

ITLBTU
06-21-2010, 11:48 AM
We have a Pioneer AVIC 90BT, or 900BT... I forget... in our SSTB. I love it! It sounds great, controls my iPod Touch great, has GPS, and plays videos from DVD, or my ipod for the kids... not that we do it while I'm driving. I also purchased an XM receiver for it. I installed it pretty easily... I forgot to add... it is bluetooth, w/multiple phones, and it can import your phonebook off your phone... a ton of cool features....

Rhino
06-21-2010, 08:15 PM
I've been a Kenwood user for years. I'll admit their UI's were horrible the past few generations. You may take a look into this years lineup. I just installed a KIV-BT900 for a friend, and will be ripping out my 4 month old Kenwood to replace it.

Full color LCD display, displays cover art and ID3 tag info from either an iPod, Zune, or flash drive. Fantastic UI, great EQ, and good pre-outs. Another interesting thing about it is that it has no CD input, however has 512 MB of internal storage of digital media. Great for people like me who haven't used a CD in years.

67 455 Bird ragtop
06-22-2010, 05:55 AM
Keep in mind some units control the older iPods differently than the new ones. Some allow you to use your Ipod controls as well as your stereo controls. Some don't. Read before purchasing a head unit to control your iPod.

dcozzi
08-05-2010, 07:52 PM
I have this one. Works great adn sounds great. Remote, bluetooth capable, iPod interface (title, track and menus), mini plug for generic MP3s, three 4V outputs (adjustable cross over points) and it is the lowest featured in their Excelon lineup.

KDC-X494
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://img651.imageshack.us/i/157120086.jpg/)

nekkidhillbilly
08-17-2010, 09:48 PM
put that in my cousins truck nice unit for the price

nekkidhillbilly
08-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Haven't used it myself.....but when researching a new head-unit for my DD Volvo xc70, most of the reviews were outstanding. You'll also need the KTX-100EQ at $249.00, but can e "rented" from crutchfield.

The only thing I hate apout Pioneer, is you get nickel and dimed to death. XM kit, HD Adapter, bluetooth, back up camera, I-Pod adapter, and on and on. Most All considered "Expandability features" that add up

I'm real happy with my Double Din Jenson VM9022HD. They included everything. and I mean everything. HD Radio, Back-Up Camera input, Bluetooth, 5.1 suround sound with center channel amp, I-Pod control/Charger, USB, SD card....$400.00 for the receiver and $100.00 for the XM kit. Can't beat it for the money.

well with any touch screen you gonna have to buy the xm tuner hd tuner back up camera and ipod cable. not just the pioneer. my f series came with the ipod cable and bluetooth oem. but look at alpine kenwood all that has to be bought. and i see the words back up camera input all pioneers have that too the camera is what cost you.