PDA

View Full Version : 68 camaro Lsx header question

s4dustin
02-16-2009, 03:46 PM
I pushed the engine back 2.5 inches. The headers I had hit the starter, and I need a new set. On a budget, so, any thoughts?
Trans is a t-56 if relevant.

Thanks guys.

chicane67
02-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Thoughts... ??

Well... it would help to know what headers you are using currently. I say this because... it may be easier for you to modify what you have now, vice that of a custom set... which I believe that may be your only other choice at the moment.

CarlC
02-16-2009, 05:31 PM
How far is the accessory mounting face of the RH head away from the firewall?

What adapter plates did you use?

s4dustin
02-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Carl,

The plates were made by a friend, I believe the template was of the ATS style, 2.5 in back.

As per the headers they are the ones I have for sale.. Sanderson shorty that hug the block, the pass. side comes down into the starter...

CarlC
02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Stainless, mild steel, coated, price range, etc.

Also, what steering box are you going to use?

Need to know the distance listed above to determine if the setup used in my car will work for you.

s4dustin
02-16-2009, 07:15 PM
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52762

I am using a stock non-power steering box.

s4dustin
02-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Price, bang for the buck. I dont need anything fancy, I just want to drive my car :)

CarlC
02-17-2009, 09:46 PM
From what I have seen the Hooker headers will fit the ATS mounts but require some beating on tubes to fit power steering applications. You may not have that problem.

Mine are the only non-ATS headers that I have found that do not need to be clobbered to fit, but they did need a tube re-routed. With your manual box you may not have any problems.

I think S&P makes a shorty but I don't know if they would fit with your mounts. You may have to use theirs.

Welcome to the wonderful world of LS swaps where you have to use either, 1) matched headers and mounting plates, 2) modify existing parts to fit, or 3) be a guinea pig.