PDA

View Full Version : 68 Camaro Fuel Line Suggestions

s4dustin
02-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Tank is on the way, never done fuel lines before, I was told to go with Alum. lines as they are easy to bend...what size? Any other suggestions? I have to buy the the tools too....

I am doing a 6.0L, Magnacharger, Spectre Fuel Tank from Rock auto, Corvette filter...

Should I be nervous about this? Are there any diagrams or parts lists for all the fittings? Never used the AN stuff before....

Thanks guys.

CarlC
02-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Dustin,

I know a guy in TO that has a 20' length of -6 stainless that will work great for your application. He will make you a spakin' deal on it. It will easily support your/our HP requirements.

Personally, I would stay away from aluminum. Stainless is much stronger and has less chance of work hardening and fatigue cracking.

If you are nervous about bending your own lines it would be very easy to purchase a pre-bent line from Classic Tube or other vendor in stainless. The stock-bent line is plenty long enough for our application if your connection on the fuel rail is on on the RH side. If you decide to run the connection on the LH side a piece of teflon hose can be run over there from the RH side but is not as clean. I'm sure Brian will give you the homie-hookup on whatever you need to make the connection. Check my thread in the Project Updates section for how I did mine.

The setup is pretty straightforward. You will need to connect from the pressure out from the tank to the large male port on the Corvette FFPR. Connect the small port to the tank return. The female output goes to the fuel rail.

You will need to decide what type of fuel lines to run from the tank to the FFPR. Teflon is forever and requires zero maintenance and is my first choice. There are other ways to do it such as push-lock, swivel seal AN, etc, but long term effects on the rubber due to modern gasoline formulations tends to rot them. Another option is using OE style plastic, which is really nice but may require special tools.

To connect to the FFPR inlet/outlet sides you will need a 3/8" and a 5/16" GM quick disconnect. Russell sells these but they require some modifications to work. The body is too large in diameter for both to fit at the same time. File a flat in each and they will work. There may be other options out there, even at your local Pep Boys.

The outlet of the FFPR will require a 3/8" male GM quick connector. Some are available at Pep Boys, etc. or your local EFI shop can make you one. You may also take in your hardline to the EFI shop and have them make the necessary GM upset in the tube.

s4dustin
02-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Carl,

thanks for the info. I am intimidated of the fuel stuff for some reason, I will look at your build in the morning...and I may just take you up on the line offer. Thanks, D

Karch
02-17-2009, 02:34 PM
I am interested in the stainless if Dustin passes.

Thanks.

derekf
02-18-2009, 03:44 AM
Where do you get the Teflon lines?

CarlC
02-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Anyone who handles Aeroquip. Summit, Jegs, many industrial hydraulic shops, etc. Buy a package of extra ferrules while you're at it. Unlike traditional AN fittings that can only be reused a few times, the teflon fittings use a compression ferrule that can be replaced, making the fitting like new again.

You can get an Aeroquip catalog online.

GetMore
02-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Summit sells the Aeroquip teflon hoses.

trapin
03-04-2009, 11:44 AM
How are the "quick connect" fittings connected to the teflon lines and how are the teflon lines connected to the gas tank? C-clamps?