PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Air, Hot Rod Air vs. Factory Air

Boyd
03-07-2005, 06:44 PM
My '78 LT came from the factory equipped with a/c, but the previous owner pulled all the brackets, compressor, condensor, and lines from under the hood. The evaporator and wiring harness appear to be in serviceable condition. I'd like to replace the factory controls, either with repro originals or aftermarket. My budget is under a Grand. So my dilema is this, do I replace the entire sytem with a VA or Hot Rod kit, OR do I save a little dough by only replacing what is needed and use the leftover $ to buy a serpentine belt accessory drive from GMPP? The GMPP kit includes a compressor. That leaves lines, drier, condensor and new controls left. Any ideas out there?

USAZR1
03-08-2005, 03:51 PM
None of the above. Check out Old Air's system with Hurricane blower.

FASTAZZ79Z
05-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Got a link for Old air?

4MuscleMachines
05-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Did a net search and I also could not find it..does anybody know?

68LSS1
05-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Old Air. (http://www.oldairproducts.com/shop/index.php) Another good a/c shop that specializes in pre '76 vehicles is Classic Auto Air. (http://classicautoair.com/default.asp) And for you LS1 hybrids Classic will warranty their kits for use with LS1 compressors (and they also have no problem saying it will work unlike some of the others).

KUL FIR CHICK N
06-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Sure they will tell you it will work. It will for a while, then it will shell the compressor due to oil starvation. It doesn't affect their system, just ruins everything else. Then they get the new compressor sale anyway.

Running a variable compressor with a TXV requires a specially matched TXV, which has to be matched to your exact system to work right. That is the reason that good manufacturers will steer you away from it. The standard TXV will close off the flow when the compressor de-strokes, which starves the compressor of oil and kills it in no time. In addition, you will have eratic performance and pressures due to two active throttling devices working against each other.

censo69
06-06-2005, 04:16 AM
Is the VA a TXV system?

KUL FIR CHICK N
06-06-2005, 06:10 AM
Yes, all aftermarket systems currently are txv systems. TXV systems are superior in cooling to all other systems.

Kenova
07-08-2005, 08:25 AM
:hmm: TXV? I think I missed something here. What does TXV stand for? You'll have to excuse me, my brain is parked for the holidays. :hammer:
Ken

CDJr
07-08-2005, 01:17 PM
TXV = thermostatic expansion valve (I think) :)

censo69
07-12-2005, 05:58 AM
CDJr you are correct on the TXV defination. I'm still of the opinion you could use the V5 compressor just add a little more oil to the system the variable requires more then a fixed no matter it be accumulator based or TXV. Im more concerned in the electronics what does VA use to control the cycling of their compressor. Also a good TXV will allow oil to pass through otherwise a fixed compressor will burn out as well. I am not defending the V5 in anyway because I feel its superior just that I already have one.