PDA

View Full Version : A Note On Just How CRAPPY Some Of The Magazines Have Become Of Late!

vintageracer
02-10-2009, 06:18 AM
I just received this months 5.0 magazine. Biggest waste of paper I have seen of late. So much so that I actually looked at the content of this months magazine of 156 pages which is as follows:

Cover 1 page
Contents 2 pages
List of People who run the magazine 1/3 page
ADS FROM ADVERTISERS 83 PAGES
5.0 Bench Race 1 page
SEMA 2008 review 5 pages
ARTICLES ABOUT REAL CARS 33 1/2 Pages
NMRA Propaganda/AD 18 pages (National Mustang Racing Association)
NMCA Propaganda/AD 4 pages (National Muscle Car Association)
Race Notes 1 2/3 pages
Mail 1 page
Tech Inspection 1 1/2 pages
5.0 Q&A 1 page
5.0 Finish Line 1 Page
Babe Page 1 Page
Back Cover 1 Page

Out of 156 Pages there are only 33 1/2 pages devoted to articles about Mustangs! The rest is bullsheet and ads!

Now I know that ads pay the bills but this is TERRIBLE to have 100+ pages out of 156 total pages devoted TOTALLY TO ADS and NMRA/NMCA ads selling crap or pimping a club/events for Mustangs with most of ads being monthly re-occuring ads that the reader must struggle through EVERY MONTH!

What's even worse is that the front cover touts this issue as a "Special Collectors Issue"!

I definitely will NOT RENEW MY SUBSCRIPTION. The editors and managers of this magazine should be fired!

JEFFTATE
02-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Yep...

BonzoHansen
02-10-2009, 07:09 AM
GM High Tech is no better.

Steve1968LS2
02-10-2009, 07:24 AM
I hope you're not talking about my magazine. lol

Hey, even I've noticed this with some magazines.

It's like they've gotten lazy a bit. Nick and I will look at a car feature and think "holy crap that looks bad, don't they have standards?"

I will though say it's pretty silly to complain about ads since they make the magazine possible for you to read. The only problem is when the ads overwelm the magazine. Have you ever opened a bridal magazine? lol

I also think it's a bit unfair to consider coverage of an event as an "ad".. Then again I didn't read the story. When I covered the RTTH event was that just 6 pages of "RTTH propaganda"?

What made it a collector's issue?

Boyd
02-10-2009, 08:56 AM
My biggest pet-peeve with magazines is their letters constantly wanting me to renew. I get 9 different car magazines each month, most of them are paid through 2010 and a few are paid through 2012, but I still get at least one letter a week ,and sometimes more, asking me to renew.

Another gripe is the subscription cards inside the mags. Everytime I get a magazine, the first thing I do is tear out all of the cards (each issue has at least 4, x 9 mags = 36 cards a month x 12mos = 432 cards a year!) Seems like a waste to me. I've actually thought about doing something creative with them, like covering one wall of the garage with them, or maybe the ceiling.

motorheadmike
02-10-2009, 09:10 AM
There is a reason that I read them on the sh!tter or during breakfast on Sunday morning... because I am either very preoccupied or hung-over.

CHRIS67
02-10-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm with you on the subscription cards!!! Who even uses those anymore? Isn't it easier and faster for the customer and mag if that is all done via the internet?

I have friends that tear them out, scrible on the back, and drop them in the mail. The mag gets a blank card back and have to pay the postage paid. Good for the postman, but bad for business.

Steve1968LS2
02-10-2009, 09:48 AM
My biggest pet-peeve with magazines is their letters constantly wanting me to renew. I get 9 different car magazines each month, most of them are paid through 2010 and a few are paid through 2012, but I still get at least one letter a week ,and sometimes more, asking me to renew.

Another gripe is the subscription cards inside the mags. Everytime I get a magazine, the first thing I do is tear out all of the cards (each issue has at least 4, x 9 mags = 36 cards a month x 12mos = 432 cards a year!) Seems like a waste to me. I've actually thought about doing something creative with them, like covering one wall of the garage with them, or maybe the ceiling.

The cards generate subscriptions.. they work so I doubt they are going anywhere.

The people bugging you to re-new your subscription and generally outside companies. I get the same letters, which is somewhat ironic. lol

derekf
02-10-2009, 10:20 AM
I let my subscriptions lapse because of the continuous phone calls from the outside companies. I hated the way they identified themselves as being the publisher, when they most definitely were not.

Steve, I know one person doesn't really impact what your management thinks, but those outside companies are costing you at least a little business.

Brandon Miller
02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Main reasons I let my subscriptions of 5.0 and MM&FF expire. Talk about ads, just look at any issue of Truckin' and see how much crap and garbage Chassis Teach/AIM puts in there.

Steve1968LS2
02-10-2009, 10:29 AM
I let my subscriptions lapse because of the continuous phone calls from the outside companies. I hated the way they identified themselves as being the publisher, when they most definitely were not.

Steve, I know one person doesn't really impact what your management thinks, but those outside companies are costing you at least a little business.

I tend to agree, but this falls WAY outside my job description. lol

Still, I do mention it in meetings and such.

7t3 TA
02-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Is no one going to comment about Steve reading a bridal magazine? How did thay slip by?

68sixspeed
02-10-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm saddly letting a few subscriptions run out that I've had for 15-20 years. Even considering letting PHR expire, it's pretty thin lately, and was always one of my favorites. It's saving grace is that every once in a while it has a great tech article.

Rick Dorion
02-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Me too. Then I get a good issue and keep the suscription because the cost/issue is low.

motorheadmike
02-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm with you on the subscription cards!!! Who even uses those anymore? Isn't it easier and faster for the customer and mag if that is all done via the internet?

I just recycle the subscription cards... I am curious as to why there are still pictures of 80s Pro Streeters (with pastel paint jobs no less) on them? Anyone? No photos of contemporary cars lying around? Guess not.

As for internet ordering being faster; it isn't... at least not going through InterLink Media (the publisher) directly. It took a phone call on my part after 4 weeks of seeing nothing in the mail to learn that it takes up to 6 weeks to process an internet order, plus 2 weeks to PRINT MY F'ING NAME ON THE COVER and then ship it. Oh yes, they have to MANUALLY enter my computer generated information into a labeling machine in order to get my magazines out to me. They take the orders in Florida, the magazines are in Ohio and their collective mindset is in OZ when you expect a little compensation for the inconvenience as a customer.

Note: I eventually found a very nice lady to talk to and she had complimentary mags out to me that day; and got my orders (all four of them) moving along.

wiedemab
02-10-2009, 11:37 AM
OK - just a few comments from me. I'm glad to see that several of the car magazines that I read are now in digital format via Zinio. That's a definite positive for me - cheaper and they don't take up physical space in my house, which my wife likes!

One of the magazines that I subscribe to felt the need to sent me a DVD that I either have to send back, or I will be charged for. If I wanted a DVD from your magazine, I would buy one. Now you've wasted my time to have to send it back. Little things like this, really make me mad. I am considering not renewing the mag. This is the same reason that I will never again buy anything from Time Life.

I agree that the number of ads in certain mags is a little over the top.

OK - rant over.

motorheadmike
02-10-2009, 11:38 AM
OK - just a few comments from me. I'm glad to see that several of the car magazines that I read are now in digital format via Zinio. That's a definite positive for me - cheaper and they don't take up physical space in my house, which my wife likes!

I thought about that... but, you can't (or shouldn't) take the computer with you into the bathroom. Wife might not like it! ;)

Desert68
02-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I get the renewal drill from several magazines and unless an outside firm is using official logos, etc, it is the magazine (or the corp umbrella they operate under) doing it. Tell me when it expires, then I'll make a decision. I'm like the gentleman above - some of mine are paid a couple years out.

69LT1Nova
02-10-2009, 12:37 PM
One of the magazines that I subscribe to felt the need to sent me a DVD that I either have to send back, or I will be charged for. If I wanted a DVD from your magazine, I would buy one. Now you've wasted my time to have to send it back.

Oh NO!! You didn't send it back did you?!? That just confirms to the a-hole marketers that there is a living, breating, human being that they can market their DVD crap to!

Would you be referring to... oh, say... :idea: Hot Rod? I couldn't believe that they were stupid enough to send me a DVD without my concent, then have the gall to ask for me to send it back. F-you bastages! I'm keeping the DVD and using it for target practice. :machine:

I know my rights. I don't have to pay for any of that garbage that they sent me that I didn't request.

wiedemab
02-10-2009, 12:45 PM
I thought about that... but, you can't (or shouldn't) take the computer with you into the bathroom. Wife might not like it! ;)

Yeah - the wife and I each have our own laptop so if I so desired I could take it in there with me. I tend to be a - get in, get out kinda guy anyway though so most of my reading is in my recliner and not on the throne.

OK - back to the thread topic!

buickfunnycar.com
02-10-2009, 02:22 PM

I don't like 'em either...but I like them a lot better when they re-run the one with my car on the cover,lol.:yum:

BonzoHansen
02-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Me too. Then I get a good issue and keep the suscription because the cost/issue is low.

Yup. Every time I decide to let it go they send me 2 years for $8.99. That is great bargain for bathroom reading.

venturabeachpup
02-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Is no one going to comment about Steve reading a bridal magazine? How did thay slip by?

Steve must be a genius. Just think about it. A really cool car with Bridal magazines..... I think that spells chick magnet. LOL

The amount of ads can be annoying if you're looking for true grit stories about cars. After all thats probably why most of us buy the mags. I find myself going to "Brains and Noble" and fingering through some mags only to buy the ones I want, when I want.

With all the new products coming out, most of which I can't afford, I do enjoy some of the ad content. It keeps me dreaming.

vintageracer
02-10-2009, 03:11 PM
I hope you're not talking about my magazine. lol

Hey, even I've noticed this with some magazines.

It's like they've gotten lazy a bit. Nick and I will look at a car feature and think "holy crap that looks bad, don't they have standards?"

I will though say it's pretty silly to complain about ads since they make the magazine possible for you to read. The only problem is when the ads overwelm the magazine. Have you ever opened a bridal magazine? lol

I also think it's a bit unfair to consider coverage of an event as an "ad".. Then again I didn't read the story. When I covered the RTTH event was that just 6 pages of "RTTH propaganda"?

What made it a collector's issue?

Steve,

The NMRA was NOT coverage of their events. It was 18 total pages ad propaganda about their schedule in 2009 event, classes available and other crap they are trying to sell. The NCMA was 4 pages of the same outlining their 2009 events.

I consider that 22 pages as an advertisement since all they are doing is selling their product.

What makes this a collector's issue?

Because it said so on the cover!!!

BA.
02-10-2009, 03:14 PM
I certainly agree about the 5.0 mag.....it's the similar reason that I hate reading SuperChevy. There's just sooo much advertising it's nauseating.

So, Steve,....or anyone,....if these annoying little subscription cards generate new subs....why do they send me 3-6 in the magazine???
Statistically, that person is only going to use one card, and the "give one to a friend" scenario ain't gonna fly. :)

vintageracer
02-10-2009, 03:19 PM

With the US Postal Service running a $2 Billion dollar deficit I ALWAYS make sure it drop any and all prepaid postage cards in the mail, blank of course!

I figure that the magazine must want them back since they are kind enough to pre-pay the postage. Since the USPS is so far in the hole with revenue I figure they need all the money they can get so I am doing my part by helping the USPS to generate revenue by mailing all these cards.

If everyone would do this the USPS may be able to make up their deficit courtesy of the magazine and publishing industry!

Damn True
02-10-2009, 03:38 PM
I frequently collect all of my junk mail and stuff it into the "Business Reply Mail" envelopes that come with credit card offers. I mean if they are going to send me rubbish I don't want I will send them rubbish they don't want.

That said, the last mag I subscribed to was CHP when Jeff Smith was the head guy there. It had for me a nice combination of PT cars, a bit of event coverage, some outside the box stuff like Silver State, a bit of drag (a tiny bit is enough for me) and some really nice resto features on cars you don't see every day (I distinctly recall a pair of '59's an Impala and an El Camino....way cool). The whole thing was well done, written and photographed. Then it went to hell when Smith left. Ro is a really good writer but I grow weary of the frequent "old days of east coast drag racing" references and the hot-rod truck stuff was simply horrific. I let that sub lapse.

I came really close to subscribing to PHR a while back. The balance was approaching what I'd seen in CHP when Smith was at the helm. I didn't like the fact that there seemed to be a policy of not covering, or not paying attention to some of the things people might do with their cars that don't involve a Goodguys show, Year One, Super Chevy Meet or one of the masthead sponsored events (power tour, drag week etc etc).

In the last year that mag as well has lost its shine.

CP is just a little too narrow for me. I like Mustangs, and Cougars and Fairlanes too and a 100pt resto of a '69SS......I've seen a few of those over the years. Not much interest there for me at least.

I like most of the mags but most aren't consistently interesting enough for me to subscribe to. I look at them all, and if there is info I need, or a story I am interested in I'll buy it off the shelf , though I can't recall the last time I bought Super Chevy.

CRCRFT78
02-10-2009, 04:10 PM
I hate when they advertise a story only to find out its an actual advertisement for something else. For example, I like to see alot of fabrication (something I wished the magazines would feature more of). This months Classic Trucks header states "METALWORKING MYSTERIES REVEALED." Great so I open it up only to find a 2-page spread on Ron Covell and the classes he offers. I understand he is one of the greatest metal workers around, but there is no way I would pay for his classes just to watch him. Especially at the prices he charges. I've always learned more from being hands on. They need a car magazine that caters to those that like to see the actual work and fabrication done to a vehicle.

Steve1968LS2
02-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Steve,

What makes this a collector's issue?

Because it said so on the cover!!!

Then it MUST be true.. lol

Yea, the NCMA stuff sounds like ADVERTORIAL.. like fake Editorial. It does happen. I don't read 5.0 so I can't really comment on that.

Takid455
02-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Yup. Every time I decide to let it go they send me 2 years for $8.99. That is great bargain for bathroom reading.

I was planning on letting a few lapse this time around, but then I get offers of 3 yrs for 20 or the above and I figure if 3 issues are good, I broke even. Not sure how they even stay in business when I'm pretty sure it cost more than $20 to send 36 issues.

Bill Howell
02-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Autoweek has gone to bi weekly. Not sure how that will effect the name, just know it sux. I have had that magazine for 15 years, but may have to cancel my scrip. It just doesn't seem right to get one every other week and pay for weekly. lol
No, seriously, I have gotten used to it every week and really like some of the articles. Now it is like a druggy going clean every other week....

JohnLClark
02-11-2009, 01:08 AM
Howell I agree. If I don't get an equal number of issues for what I subscribed for, I am going to pissed. When it was weekly, my sub was supposed to end in May, so I have at least 12 to 14 issues left. So I better be getting the magazine till at least Oct.

After reading the first couple of issues they put out after going biweekly, I like them. It is just like two issues in one with more in depth coverage. But, who knows how it will be when the race season rolls around.

JohnLClark
02-11-2009, 01:11 AM
Howell I agree. If I don't get an equal number of issues for what I subscribed for, I am going to pissed. When it was weekly, my sub was supposed to end in May, so I have at least 12 to 14 issues left. So I better be getting the magazine till at least Oct.

After reading the first couple of issues they put out after going biweekly, I like them. It is just like two issues in one with more in depth coverage. But, who knows how it will be when the race season rolls around.

Also the latest issues of Muscle Mustangs has gotten awfully thin on content. One magazine that seems to stay full of content is Mopar Muscle.

shmoov69
02-11-2009, 05:09 AM
C'mon Mike, 5.0 Magazine!??! It's a comic book!! Kids read those mags! LOL! No wonder it is full of ads!! LOL!!

And about taking the computer to the crapper with you.......Iphone!!!

bret
02-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Steve...is anyone upstairs reading this stuff? I would personally bring it to their attention but I think I have exhausted my brownie points there for the moment.

Your turn! :)

JEFFTATE
02-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Yep,
I can't stand the junkmail renewal notices either.
I get one for every subscription I have every two weeks or so.
Even if I've just renewed ,or the subscription doesn't run out for a year or more.
That's too much junk mail.

BUT! , I do realize that the magaizines are trying to create sales.
And it's an outside sales company that sends the notices.
That's how they stay in business , and give us wonderful things to read.
That's why the ads are there too.
The ads pay for the magazine and keep the magazine coming.

I just like mags that concentrate on streetable / performance vehicles.
NOT over-the-top , undriveable show cars or outdated cars that don't work good on the street today.

Steve1968LS2
02-11-2009, 09:03 AM
I certainly agree about the 5.0 mag.....it's the similar reason that I hate reading SuperChevy. There's just sooo much advertising it's nauseating.

So, Steve,....or anyone,....if these annoying little subscription cards generate new subs....why do they send me 3-6 in the magazine???
Statistically, that person is only going to use one card, and the "give one to a friend" scenario ain't gonna fly. :)

Hell if I know.. I just work here.. lol

Maybe it's like asprin.. "If one is good then 6 are GREAT!!!"

Steve1968LS2
02-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Steve...is anyone upstairs reading this stuff? I would personally bring it to their attention but I think I have exhausted my brownie points there for the moment.

Your turn! :)

Does this mean I have a job in Jasper waiting for me if I go charging at windmills?

69stang
02-11-2009, 09:26 AM
I've pretty much dropped all my subscriptions but 1, Automobile. The mustang rags are trying to cater to more of the later model crowd (sn95 and on) Not even the foxes get a lot of coverage anymore let alone the classics or MIIs and the advertizing is horrendous. I've pretty much settled on getting my news & feature stories from the specialized forums online. I had words with the editors of Modified mustangs & MM&FF and both didn't really care about my views. Modified Mustangs used to be Mustangs & Fords. I have every issue since its inception back in 82 (I think, possibly late 81, have to look at my collection). When a lapse in my subscription occured I bought at the newsstand. And 2 years ago I bought the missing issues from my collection online. Despite a lot of outcry over the change they only include something (sometimes only remotely related to a) classic mustang in each issue so I canceled and returned their renewal cards to them blank.

Fast1
02-11-2009, 09:30 AM
The magazines truely are getting lazy but the budgets are gone and soon the magazines will all be electronic. Then we will all wish for the days of kickin back with a paper mag in the garage.

JEFFTATE
02-11-2009, 10:59 AM
The magazines truely are getting lazy but the budgets are gone and soon the magazines will all be electronic. Then we will all wish for the days of kickin back with a paper mag in the garage.

I hope the paper mags don't disappear.
It would suck to have to spend $1000 on a computer and $42 a month on Internet service , plus online subscription rates just to get a magazine that used to cost only $3 an issue.
Then if the power goes out , you can't do sh*&.
At least with the paper mags , you can refer back to them if you keep them .

Damn True
02-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Then if the power goes out , you can't do sh*&.

Yup...can't bring a laptop to the can if the power is out.

motorheadmike
02-11-2009, 01:20 PM

Or on the toilet.

If they do go electronic (and it saves us money) Ctrl + P = bathroom reading material/archives of relevant information. Or they email you a PDF and you save it to file/disk. Hell, they could sell you access to a library of information in back issues that you could download, and then distribute to your friends and family... or the whole internet for free.

Yeah, they'd better stick with paper copies. Afterall, the best I could do is scan an article or two for distribution before I'd lose my mind.

preston
02-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Ya know, the only magazine I have gotten for awhile is Hot Rod. It has its flaws but I feel like it more than any of the others keeps me abreast with the newest happenings, and having historical articles each month really does preserve the culture and make me think about hot rodding in a much bigger way than just having a cool car. I too would like to see more detailed fab articles. Pretty tough to compete with the internet though - you can go to the project pages here and see more fab photos and welding photos than you'll see in a decade i the magazines.

the magazine I like best is RaceTech or Racecar Engineering, both form England, but the sub is $80 a year and there is a lot in there that isn't relevant to me either.

80proZ
02-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Well we could always start our own rag

Munster
02-12-2009, 09:21 PM
I personally think that the price of subscriptions for most of the popular mags is very reasonable and lets me get more than one or two. That way there is more reading, and more wide spread topics and tastes, still for not a big $ amount. I know the mags wouldn't kill themselves with over abundant advertisments if it wasn't needed to keep them afloat so I try to not let it bother me. I try to get a broad range of magazines to help me be open to different cars and such. Pretty cheap entertainment for the winter months and all year after all.

bret
02-13-2009, 08:02 AM
I don't think that print magazines will disappear in our lifetime, BUT I think they will transition into a portal to more detailed information on the internet.
The talented people who currently work in print media will make the transition nicely...maybe even blossom because of it. The less talented and/or motivated will move on to something that is more inspiring to them.
Its not a bad thing, its just a...thing, like film cameras, pay telephones, and 15" wheels.

novaderrik
02-13-2009, 10:58 AM
i remember when the car magazines i got started their steep downhill descent- about 5 or so years ago when all the old Petersen titles started to redo their format- it started with Hot Rod and Motor Tread, then Car Craft and CHP followed suit within the next year. shortly after that, the other Primedia titles i got (the old McMullen-Argus titles of PHR and Super Chevy) did the same thing.
their new format consisted of making the stories and tech articles smaller, jamming more ads into the thing, and adding more pages to fit more of those ads. and, of course, the final detail in their reformat was raising the news stand price from around $4 to $5.99- which made no sense to me, given all the extra ad space they created by adding pages and making the stories and articles smaller. it just seemed like a big money grab to me.
then, after all that, the quality of the tech started to go downhill- some things i can let slide, but the new Hot Rod has 30 Ford 5 window in it that is labeled as a "tudor". it's the simple stuff that they screw up that really bugs me.

Steve1968LS2
02-13-2009, 11:47 PM
I don't think that print magazines will disappear in our lifetime, BUT I think they will transition into a portal to more detailed information on the internet.
The talented people who currently work in print media will make the transition nicely...maybe even blossom because of it. The less talented and/or motivated will move on to something that is more inspiring to them.
Its not a bad thing, its just a...thing, like film cameras, pay telephones, and 15" wheels.

I heard 15-inch wheels are making a comeback.. lol

Steve1968LS2
02-13-2009, 11:48 PM

I take exception to that one.. no lazy going on around here. In fact there are several where the guys are truly passionate and love what they do.

Nonetheless, some do take the "path of least resistance"...

Twentyover
02-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Seems to me the whole deal is a numbers game- charge just enough for subscriptions to pay the postage and keeping the circulation up, have the advertising bux to pay for the paper, ink, and binding, and the newstand sales pay through the nose for distribution costs and profit. Need the big circulation numbers to charge advertisers enough subsidize printing the rag.

How else can I sub to Hot Rod for $1.17 an issue tomy door when my english car rags cost over $75 plus postage.

All this said, I think I'd prefer toget a downloadable magazine that I can index articles to help searching, and to and store 20 years of issues on an extenal hard drive the size of my wallet

Doug Harden
02-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Gave up my subscriptions years ago.....got tired of the same old tired articles.......over and over again...."Paint and Body"; "Choose a Cam"; Choose a Carburator"; Wheel and Tires"; "NOS"; ...etc...................

I had a stack of magazines that would have been over 20ft tall and MOST of them were simple repeats....just change the covers.

Scott Parkhurst
02-15-2009, 11:13 AM
i remember when the car magazines i got started their steep downhill descent- about 5 or so years ago...

Ya- that's when I left. Sorry.

Steve1968LS2
02-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Ya- that's when I left. Sorry.

So you were the reason? lol

TT302Z28
02-15-2009, 02:07 PM
OK, without sounding like a kiss a$$....the only magazine that I have even remotely liked for the last few months was Camaro Performers...the rest are infomercials.

There are few honest articles anymore regarding products. They seem to be opportunities for the manufacturers to pay a fee to be included in a bs comparison. Why not a true endurance test? Show us which SBC/BBC/LSX rocker stood up to the most tourture not just "look, comp now has a gold one too!!!

Have the articles returned to how to time your engine because the editorial staff at most of the magazines are that new?

TT302Z28
02-15-2009, 02:16 PM
BTW...I subscribe to just about all of them (ie...Hot Rod, Car Craft, Chevy High Performance, Super Chevy, Camaro Performers and buy Chevelle/GM Mid Size when I can find it.) I do so still hoping that they will have something interesting from time to time.

vintageracer
02-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I sent a link to this thread to the only person in management at 5.0 Magazine with an email address that was listed in the contents section of this month's magzine. Ironically this person is the VP of advertising. It appears to me that he is the ONLY person at 5.0 Magazine who truly IS doing his job. Since there are over 100 pages of paid advertising he should be getting a Wall Street bonus!

I will find it interesting to see if he has the courtesy to even send a response to my email. Since most of the responses on this thread agree with just how bad 5.0 Magazine and most car magazines in general have gone downhill in recent years, the editors and publishers of the car magazines had better take a look at this thread. If nothing else just to see how many FORMER subscribers they all have!

Steve1968LS2
02-15-2009, 06:33 PM
I forwarded this thread to a few people I thought would be interested in the opinions expressed.

Steve1968LS2
02-15-2009, 06:37 PM
OK, without sounding like a kiss a$$....the only magazine that I have even remotely liked for the last few months was Camaro Performers...the rest are infomercials.

There are few honest articles anymore regarding products. They seem to be opportunities for the manufacturers to pay a fee to be included in a bs comparison. Why not a true endurance test? Show us which SBC/BBC/LSX rocker stood up to the most tourture not just "look, comp now has a gold one too!!!

Have the articles returned to how to time your engine because the editorial staff at most of the magazines are that new?

Thanks, It's nice to hear that.

It's really hard to come up with "new stories"... Over the next year we will be doing a set of theory stories explaning concepts like bumpsteer, roll center, spring rate, scrub radius, etc. I also hope to address stuff like fire systems and other topics that seem to be mostly ignored.

And for the record, mfg's NEVER pay to be included in a story. We pick what products we want to use.

CRCRFT78
02-15-2009, 07:11 PM
I'd like to see the mags do a story on engine swaps that also include information on making it smog legal. I know this only applies to a select few but dumping a motor into the car and getting it running doesn't stop there for some of us.

Steve1968LS2
02-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I'd like to see the mags do a story on engine swaps that also include information on making it smog legal. I know this only applies to a select few but dumping a motor into the car and getting it running doesn't stop there for some of us.

We've been toying with the idea of dropping and LS engine into a third gen and getting it through CA smog.

Just need to find the right car and all that.

chicane67
02-15-2009, 08:26 PM
An opinion... from one that own's issues of certain magazines as far back as the mid 50's...

I too had subscriptions to many... CHP, HotRod, CarCraft, PHR, Super Chevy, CircleTrack, F1, RACER, Grassroots Motorsports and a few others. CHP was the best thru the mid 90's and still has good issues every now and then. HotRod was good back in the late 80's but has become too commercial and trendy... but finally broke that RUT, when they came out of their hiatus and showed up to B'ville post Baskerville the Great (thank you Friedburger.) CarCraft died in the early 90's and hasn't recovered since. PHR was on it way, in my opinion, to surpass the previously mentioned... but it too as of late has something missing. And lastly... CircleTrack and Racing Technology... were the ones to bring the tech !! But even they... have fallen off in the last few years. At least they are trying to resurrect themselves.

What I really miss is the early format of Circle Track and Racing Technology... like from the middle 80's to early 90's. They were the only ones that would bring the real tech into magazine format. For instance, there was an article on fuels. And man did they brake it down. From it's process into a hydrocarbon fuel to explaining aromatics (in great detail) and what each additive did in the formulation... to what it would do to the color of the plugs... and that was just an article on fuel... that covered something like six pages (12 sides of information.)

Now, in todays terms... look at how they explain suspension kinematics. NO ONE outside of them can even touch the presentation. Everyone else in the rag world, is like halfassed tech. Just enough to write something on the cover to peak your interest... and then the story leaves you less then informed on the subject matter. Somehow, you get lost in the advertisement and other useless bling.

Now. I do understand that it takes advertisement to make it all happen. I mean... you cant do it on subscriptions alone and keep it affordable for the reader base. But for faak's sake... keep it in the back where it belongs. I'm tired of having to search through a mag looking for where the advertiser put his spiel and phone number.

You want to read something good ?? Take a look at Jim McFarland's "Enginology" section in the late model Circle Track's. Honestly... it's the only thing that makes me foam at the mouth to read each month... just as Smokey did for us in years past. Albiet the simple genius of McFarland and Smokey... what they bring is what stirrs the true creative mind.

Steve1968LS2
02-15-2009, 09:14 PM
An opinion... from one that own's issues of certain magazines as far back as the mid 50's...

I too had subscriptions to many... CHP, HotRod, CarCraft, PHR, Super Chevy, CircleTrack, F1, RACER, Grassroots Motorsports and a few others. CHP was the best thru the mid 90's and still has good issues every now and then. HotRod was good back in the late 80's but has become too commercial and trendy... but finally broke that RUT, when they came out of their hiatus and showed up to B'ville post Baskerville the Great (thank you Friedburger.) CarCraft died in the early 90's and hasn't recovered since. PHR was on it way, in my opinion, to surpass the previously mentioned... but it too as of late has something missing. And lastly... CircleTrack and Racing Technology... were the ones to bring the tech !! But even they... have fallen off in the last few years. At least they are trying to resurrect themselves.

What I really miss is the early format of Circle Track and Racing Technology... like from the middle 80's to early 90's. They were the only ones that would bring the real tech into magazine format. For instance, there was an article on fuels. And man did they brake it down. From it's process into a hydrocarbon fuel to explaining aromatics (in great detail) and what each additive did in the formulation... to what it would do to the color of the plugs... and that was just an article on fuel... that covered something like six pages (12 sides of information.)

Now, in todays terms... look at how they explain suspension kinematics. NO ONE outside of them can even touch the presentation. Everyone else in the rag world, is like halfassed tech. Just enough to write something on the cover to peak your interest... and then the story leaves you less then informed on the subject matter. Somehow, you get lost in the advertisement and other useless bling.

Now. I do understand that it takes advertisement to make it all happen. I mean... you cant do it on subscriptions alone and keep it affordable for the reader base. But for faak's sake... keep it in the back where it belongs. I'm tired of having to search through a mag looking for where the advertiser put his spiel and phone number.

You want to read something good ?? Take a look at Jim McFarland's "Enginology" section in the late model Circle Track's. Honestly... it's the only thing that makes me foam at the mouth to read each month... just as Smokey did for us in years past. Albiet the simple genius of McFarland and Smokey... what they bring is what stirrs the true creative mind.

To be fair you're NOT the typical reader of a car magazine. With your technical knowledge I would say you're in the top 5%.

Magazines are written for the other 95% with a good portion that is in the under 50% range in the "technical understanding" area.

Also keep in mind that a magazine is entertainment in addition to tech (ie, event coverage and car features.)

For some of us it would be great if they had a magazine called "Suspension Masters".. like Engine Masters where it's all hard core tech. But for most of "joe public" out there they want to get a better basic understanding of how stuff works and to see pretty pictures of cool cars.

chicane67
02-15-2009, 09:36 PM
..."I'm not dead yet"...

Steve1968LS2
02-15-2009, 09:56 PM
..."I'm not dead yet"...

dGFXGwHsD_A

Or the organ donor skit...

"Is this an organ donor card?"
"Yes"
"Is that your signature down there?"
"Wh .. yes ..."
"Need we say more?"

parttimefab
02-15-2009, 09:59 PM
The cards generate subscriptions.. they work so I doubt they are going anywhere.

Why not just put the darn cards in the newsstand issues. I hate to point out the obvious but if I'm already a subscriber, why do I need 6 cards in each issue?

Derek69SS
02-15-2009, 10:03 PM
I subscribed to several mags for the last couple years, but since my son was born, I don't get to read them much (he won't leave the magazines alone if they're in his sight).

I've dropped them all, except Hot Rod which I love for its historical/vintage articles. (for example, the Mickey Thompson article was worth the year's sub cost)

I just wish there was a Pro-Touring specific magazine... instead of all the magazines trying to be everything to everybody, it's my opinion that they should all find a niche and stick with it. Sometimes too much "variety" just results in a lot of crap I don't care about, making it not worth renewing. (which is why I've dropped CC, CHP, and PHR)

Steve1968LS2
02-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Why not just put the darn cards in the newsstand issues. I hate to point out the obvious but if I'm already a subscriber, why do I need 6 cards in each issue?

The cards are blown and bound in durring the printing cycle. It's cheaper to just do it to all of them rather than just the newstand versions.

The only diff in the two are generally the cover which is put on last.

But really though, if those little cards bother anyone that much then they should be happy thier lives are so good that something like this would even register.. lol

Damn True
02-16-2009, 01:51 AM
Steve,

Well written tech is entertaining.

I enjoy reading something that makes me smarter. I won't name names but there are many by-lines which immediately send me into "look at the pictures" mode lest I have smart sucked right out of my head.

Scott Parkhurst
02-16-2009, 12:07 PM
So you were the reason? lol

well...ya.

LOL!!

As much as I appreciate the love and respect given to Circle Track here, wasn't it just killed in the last round of cuts? I think that's what I heard through the grapevine.

Steve?

poormans69
02-16-2009, 12:54 PM
I think we need to bring back the girls in bikini's. This will be a much needed distraction. No time to complain when your :bsjerk:.

Steve1968LS2
02-16-2009, 12:55 PM
well...ya.

LOL!!

As much as I appreciate the love and respect given to Circle Track here, wasn't it just killed in the last round of cuts? I think that's what I heard through the grapevine.

Steve?

I'm not sure since they arn't at my location, I'll ask though.

They pretty much killed magazines that had very low circ or that were loosing money. In good times you can afford to keep magazines that arn't turning a profit, can't do that in rough times.

chicane67
02-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Well... DEATH to Smoochy !!

If it is true... one of the survivors needs to capture McFarland and keep a keyboard in front of him at all costs.

Twentyover
02-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Have the Feb issue of CT. In the January issue, in the editors column, they noted the demise Stock Car Racing.

Somaybe they'e still here,maybe they're not

OHCbird
02-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Some random blatherings on the state of magazines of late:

1. Autoweek: Like Bill, it was my weekly crack addiction. With the passing of Dutch mandel (sr), things went south. I still like Denise McCluggage, but she seems to 'harken back to the old days' one to many times for my tastes. I love her book & loved her writings before, but that seems to have changed in recent years. I don't want to sound like an ass, but she's starting to sound like David E. Davis when he started Automobile ('I love me' comes to mind). The only benny is the new cute girl... however, she seems to be flowering up her writing in order to follow in Denise's shoes. I will say that BWTM is the best last-page there is.

2. One of the best mags (early on) just bit the dust...Turbo magaizine. Before some of you blow chunks at what you think is a ricer-mag, that was an unfortunate period that it seems they had just (somewhat) gotten out of...too bad. The new articles were down to earth & seemed to finally come from someone with credibilty. Turbo originally started out at the right time (circa Buick GNs before the GNX), but went infomercial/ricer mag around 2000.

3. Car Craft was on the ropes for me, but now that Trosley is back, I'd pay double just to get his works. C'mon- you guys all know you wanted to be Krass or Bernie when you were kids! Hot Rod has gone round & round, and I'm glad they're taking the time to 'look back', but I hope they don't forget to keep looking ahead as they go down the road. PHR is obviously slanted towards our genre, but I wish they'd do more real tech & not the same reapeat articles each year (cam change, head change, blower makes !!!!! extra power, etc).

4. Grassroots Motorsports is a great mag for event coverage, tech, and is a decent resource pub. On Track used to be the world-motorsport news wrap-up, with great pics as well, but the 90's swallowed them up.

5. Racecar Engineering & RaceTech are excellent- both in print quality & the fact that they have credible authors. Where else in the world would you find Nigel Stepny writing in to complain? Well morth my sub money for sure.

6. Outside subscription companies- I HATE THEM. I don't have hate for many things in this world, but the uphill battles I've had on the phone with the various magazine marketing companies make me want to puke. What a waste of time. Charged 6 months before something shows up, charged for FIVE subs that never showed up, the wrong mags sent...WOW. Never again- I call directly, or use the sub cards (there ya go Steve....somebody likes them).

7. All my love and affection for some of the mags targeted at us aside, I can't stand the 'infomercial' reviews. I know direct comparisons are a marketer's death, but it has to be done. Who among you will step up to the plate and do an honest review or some REAL tech? . If you could get yourselves off of the teet of the manufacturers, we might all benefit.

7a. OK- more on 'tech'...It seems the real hard tech is skipped these days- often I see references to 'tuning' done by guys at the mag's favorite shops, but it doesn't talk about what they've done. Those of us that 'tune' know that is usually where most of the meat & potatoes lay. By summing it up in one paragraph, you're shortchanging the reader- they need to know ALL that is involved. Also- when was the last time you saw a really GOOD article on elecrtical work? (ahem...I volunteer!)

All in all, I think that if I would stop receiving so much advertising without the accompanying articles, features, etc... I'd happily pay more for something that is well written, had great (not good) photos, along with some colorful commentary (ala Top Gear).

novaderrik
02-17-2009, 12:21 AM
i need to get out my back issues of Car Craft from the early 90's to remind me of what a car magazine is supposed to be..
i mean, come on- where else are they gonna show you how to make a Mopar trans mount out of a big hose clamp or dedicate articles to the marvels of the capabilities of the cordless Sawzall when you need a junkyard part out fast?
definitely not Hot Rod or Motor trend, that's for sure..

JustinB
02-17-2009, 07:47 AM
kind of sad how lame the mags have become. It seems like if a company donates free parts to a mag employees build than they get a huge right up on how great their product is. I don't know about you but I like reading about the people who actually have to go out and pay for or fab their own parts on the way to creating their vision of a dream car. The mag sponsored builds are lame, the tech is half assed, and the content is nonexistent. Thankfully we have sites like this to keep us updated on what is really going on the car world.

Norm Peterson
02-17-2009, 08:34 AM
A couple of the magazines that I'd been subscribing to have folded within the last few months. Stock Car Racing sort of rolled over into Circle Track, and Kit Car Magazine also went under (don't know if anybody is picking up any of its content).

I have also noticed that the bigger monthlies (C/D, R&T, and MT at least) seem to be getting thinner. There are references to online content that may be where they're shifting focus.

I sit at a computer most all day at my job, and then some more while I'm on the internet. So I'd really rather keep the hardcopy format though my wife might beg to dissent. I don't know how tall of a stack I could build, and if I ever did bother to figure it out I sure wouldn't tell her the number (the 18" or so stack of the stuff I haven't got around to reading yet is in plain sight).

I like the chassis articles in CT, though I think Bob Bolles is being pretty careful to not tell everything. I just can't seem to close some of the gaps.

Norm

syborg tt
02-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Okay I will jump in

I think Hot Rod, Muscle Car Power, Popular Hot Rodding & Camaro Performers are really stepping up.

Personally I like to see the car and then a bunch of build pictures of what it took to get there.

Not just pictures of the car and it's specs. It's nice to read articles about the car and it's owner. But I would like to see more build pics.

Ex.
Sport Truck magazine did a feature on a yellow s10 and then they did 4 or 5 tech articles about the build of the interior and some other upgrades. Pretty cool.

Ex 2.
Many years ago PHR or Hot Rod featured the Chicayne and they did the same thing, Build article on the Engine, Chassis.

In my opinion that is what really tells a story.

Just think, this is why we are all drawn to the BB forums - we all like to see the build and learn from it. I think if magazines want to compete with the internet they want to consider this as an option.

Tony_SS
02-17-2009, 11:06 AM
I think we need to bring back the girls in bikini's. This will be a much needed distraction. No time to complain when your :bsjerk:.

Yeah.. hotties next to cars and p3nis pill ads to pay the bills... everything a car rag should be. I mean who reads car magazines for the cars anyway?

fantasygoat
02-17-2009, 02:00 PM
One thing I've noticed is that both Hot Rod and Car Craft are TERRIBLE at doing RSS feeds.

More often than not, they are completely mis-configured in that they keep renewing years-old posts that are just placeholders for Digg ranking. I'd look at my reader and see that they'd be updated, but it was just that one stupid article.

The second problem was that they'd publish the same article in all their feeds. Why offer distinct feeds if you put the same articles on all 12 of them?

They were so broken I just unsubscribed. Lame.

As far as the print content goes, I wish there was more detail on the build-ups as well. Also, more than one crappy photo of the interior please.

vintageracer
02-20-2009, 05:34 AM
As expected and noted in one of my previous responses. After almost one week since I sent any email to this individual concerning how bad I thought the current issue of 5.0 Magazine was and a link to this thread. I have yet to receive any acknowledgement of my complaint or receipt of my email from the VP of Digital Advertising at 5.0 Magazine.

PITIFULL!

PITIFULL!

poormans69
02-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Those penis pills only work half the time.

Damn True
02-20-2009, 12:56 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/02/WBCFacendaweb200-1.jpg

TT302Z28
02-21-2009, 08:19 AM
oh baby!!! Who needs the pills with that next to you!:barf:

Steve1968LS2
02-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Yeah.. hotties next to cars and p3nis pill ads to pay the bills... everything a car rag should be. I mean who reads car magazines for the cars anyway?

If you guys would quit buying the sex-aid pills they would quit advertising.. so it's all your fault. lol

Seriously, they have bought FULL PAGE adds in every issue since I've worked there. Someone must be picking up the phone or hitting thier website.

Shame Shame Shame...

vintageracer
02-21-2009, 09:10 AM
So NOW we ALL know that it's the "PILLS" that makes that "Penny" so "Bad"!!!!!

Steve1968LS2
02-21-2009, 09:33 AM
So NOW we ALL know that it's the "PILLS" that makes that "Penny" so "Bad"!!!!!

Hey, I just worked there.. you readers "frequent" the advertisers... ;)

poormans69
02-21-2009, 02:48 PM
LOL. I guess that's how to stiffen up the suspension.

Munster
02-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Hey, I just worked there.. you readers "frequent" the advertisers... ;)

I would say you are a READER also.

MarkM66
02-22-2009, 05:18 AM
Hot Rod put the same car in their "Under Construction" area two issues in a row. Haha.

oestek
02-22-2009, 08:38 AM
i need to get out my back issues of Car Craft from the early 90's to remind me of what a car magazine is supposed to be..
i mean, come on- where else are they gonna show you how to make a Mopar trans mount out of a big hose clamp or dedicate articles to the marvels of the capabilities of the cordless Sawzall when you need a junkyard part out fast?
definitely not Hot Rod or Motor trend, that's for sure..

The hose clamp was in Hot Rod...

cheapta
02-27-2009, 05:22 PM
I recently let my subs. to Chevy High Performance expire because the mag has become nothing more than a catalog. A recent issue had page after page of fuel pumps with specs and pricing. Well,Hell-I can look that stuff up myself,I don't want to page through that crap in a magazine I'm paying to have delivered to me.