PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine kit. Frontrunner or GM Performance kit?

Rileys68Camaro
08-22-2004, 04:08 PM
I'm looking to put a serpetine kit on my car to make things cleaner.

The GM kit is about half the money of the VA, but I like the VA stuff much better. I'm also having a hard time finding info on the GM kit.

ZZ430
08-22-2004, 05:51 PM
What info do you need on the GM kit?

12497698 Serpentine Accessory Belt Drive System "Deluxe With Air"
This deluxe serpentine belt drive system with air conditioner includes all the components to install on small-block Chevrolet engines. The bolts, nuts, spacers and braces are included with the following major items:
10055800 Secondary Air Injector pump bracket
1134344 Air compressor assembly, (CR4)
10129569 Idler belt pulley bracket
88894005 Water pump kit
10055880 Water pump pulley
10055879 Crankshaft pulley
10463172 Generator assembly (reman.)
12117361 Generator connector (with lead)
10055798 Drive Belt Tensioner Assembly
10085752 Belt (fan, water pump, A/C pump, and generator)
10105212 Generator & power steering bracket
26010328 Power steering pump
14102096 Power steering pulley

Rileys68Camaro
08-22-2004, 07:44 PM
Thanks! I guess now I just need to know if I can use my 100amp Powermaster alternator. And if this is a good kit. Do you have it?

I see it includes a secondary air injection pump bracket, what is that, and can I use the kit without it?

Rileys68Camaro
08-22-2004, 07:45 PM
I have a Vintage Air Surefit already, so if I could also use that compressor that'd be cool, if not, I'll chalk it up to lack of planning.

ZZ430
08-23-2004, 01:20 PM
I've installed one on a 68 Camaro, and although it's cool to have a serpentine system on an early Camaro, the GM kit is....well.....just plain ugly.

Of course, it uses a full size radial compressor and a big, clunky, tensioner, those over-engineered alloy brackets, and those 2 crude braces.

I guess if you polished the brackets and everything, it would look ok.

And if you ever want to take the LH bracket off, you have to pull the PS pulley, and then the PS pump to get to one of the bolts.

I'm not sure if you could make the Powermaster alternator work.

The smog pump bracket wouldn't be needed.

The VA is so much nicer with the mini Sanderson compressor, and super cool bracket, but you knew that.

Here's one on a 69 Camaro I saw at Super Chevy..

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

68RSRagtop
08-26-2004, 07:23 PM
I will try and post my photo. I would stick w/ vintage air system.

Rjrock
08-28-2004, 01:25 PM

The GM kit is about half the money of the VA, but I like the VA stuff much better. I'm also having a hard time finding info on the GM kit.

Pm you a message serpentine kit

JonB69FB
09-02-2004, 07:59 AM
How do the prices on the vintage air kit compare to the March performance serpentine setup?

I'm running the March setup on my motor because at the time they were the only one that made anything for a Pontiac V8:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

My only complaints are that it took about .250" of "shim" (leftover ARP washers) to get the pullies aligned perfectly and that they clearcoat everything so you have to chase EVERY SINGLE threaded hole the first time you install the setup.

Even before I aligned the pullies it never threw the belt though, it was just walking off the back edge of the crank pulley.

Kenova
09-03-2004, 05:28 PM

I've always thought that the VA kit was a little pricey. I finally saw one in person at a recent car show. :icon996: Not only do they look damn nice, but they are also much more compact in their packaging of the accessories than I thought they would be. If you didn't need AC, they would be a little less expensive. And you could always add AC later.
The only accessory I have hanging off the front of my engine right now is an alternator. If I had more accessories I would definetly consider the VA Front Runner.
Ken