PDA

View Full Version : cleveland??

956G-Malibu
03-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Well here at my house I have a 80's ford truck and the previous owner was swaping a cleveland motor but never finished the swap. Well I wanna know is there a way to find out the size of the cleveland or what size were their of the cleveland. Last time I talked to the previous owner he was drunk and giving me wierd numbers like 461,460 and 351....lol he kept changin the number so I never got a straight answer, also I wanna know if they have any value. what are they worth?

OHCbird
03-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Most Clevelands are 351s, but there was a 400 based on the same engine used for a few years later (called a 400 M, or modified). The casting # on the block will point you down the right road. Post it, & I'll tell ya what it is...

The 'Windsors' are the 289/302/351 small-blocks. Most people say 351 windsor to differentiate it from the 351 Cleveland. The boss 302 was a 302 with cleveland heads.

460s are of the 'E' or '385' family- they came in 429 and 460, and an easy stroker is a 514.

'FE' (or FT in your case) engines were all over the map- from 332s to 428s; these usually have the cid cast on the left front of the block.

956G-Malibu
03-07-2005, 05:55 PM
thanks for the info, where do I look for the casting number? what location?
"Thanks"

sg69
03-17-2005, 12:49 PM
should be located above the srtarter..

ProdigyCustoms
03-17-2005, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=OHCbird]Most Clevelands are 351s, but there was a 400 based on the same engine used for a few years later (called a 400 M, or modified). QUOTE]

I was thinking the 400s are called 351 Ms.

68LSS1
03-20-2005, 01:15 AM
Plus there are many 351C versions from the 2V heads to the 4V heads to the solid lift Boss and Cobra Jet variety. Check it out good, Cleveland parts are getting hard to get and the heads could be worth something.

ProdigyCustoms
03-20-2005, 03:58 AM
Good point Brian. The difference between 2 BBL and 4 BBL heads is night and day. All this talk is bringing up all those Clevland terror memories of trying to make HP with one.

68LSS1
03-20-2005, 10:32 AM
I forgot to add that the casting numbers are always the best way to go when identifying Ford blocks and heads as the machining that is done after casting determined what it ended up being. As for the 351M/400, they are two different engines. Pretty close except that the crankshaft throws are different between the two (half the stroke). So you have a 351W (made in Windsor, Canada), 351C (built in Cleveland), 351M (informally called M for modified or Michigan and made after the end of 351C's in '73) and the 400 (made from '71-'80). Block casting numbers should be under the right rear cylinder head. Give me the number and I'll see what I can find, just will need to make some other visual identifiers to ensure it is what it says (seen a few 460 blocks actually be 429's).
Prodigy, problems making hp with a Cleveland? A Cleveland powered '72 Mach was my first car and became a pretty good strip effort for a high school kid (in the days of almost 20yrs ago). Ran a best of 12.12 with no stall, never could keep a tranny behind it. This car is hopefully to soon become my first PT effort. I think pound for pound the 351C is one of the best engines to come out of Detroit.

OHCbird
03-21-2005, 08:36 PM
except when you factor in the stock oiling system... JK.

ProdigyCustoms
03-22-2005, 01:27 AM
Brian, not something I brag about, but in my younger days my dad had me into Mustangs. My first love, and first cars were Camaro and Corvette, but by the time I was 20 dad was doing lots of Mustangs. Through those years (1980-1986) I was able to own pretty much all the bad boy Mustangs including at least one each all the Bosses, and most of the Shelby's. My KR Convertible in red was without a doubt the most popular car I have ever owned. Pretty car, guys liked, even chick liked it. Slow, and never changed the last plug on the passenger bank, but gorgeous! Of all the Bosses, the best car by far was the public least favorite, the Boss 351. It was a nice all around car if you could stomach the looks and the blind spots. It did run pretty good I admit. When I talk about building power though, I mean real power, 500+HP. We did a few projects and threw the check book at them trying to build power. Our biggest failure was a 302 Windsor project using 351 2V heads. A company called B and A made a intake to do this adaptation, and claimed it could make a 302 that would rotate the earth. $10,000 and What a slug. Half a dozen cams and carb's later, and still no nuts.
We had a similar experience with a Pantera. Ever pulled one of those? I would rather have my ass whipped then do anther one of those. But we got pretty good at R and R it when it just would not make the power.
But then I broke away from dad and got back to my first love, the small and big Chevy.
I will say the Cleveland will make a nice change in a different PT project then just another Camaro. I will be the first to admit I am looking for other project vehicles that are not Camaro's.