PDA

View Full Version : New guy, learning as I go.

Rileys68Camaro
08-22-2004, 03:49 PM
I'm building a 68 Camaro and learning a lot.

Unfortuanatly, I'm doing more dissasembly right now due to the dishonest and thieving hack mechanics that worked on it before. And it's been about 6 years since I got the car.

But I'm enjoying it and wished I knew about this site sooner.

I was already building the car, with no real direction until I saw Mark Stielows red 67 One Lap Camaro.

Ralph LoGrasso
08-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Welcome to the site!

67Sally
08-22-2004, 05:35 PM
It seems that all I have been doing lately is taking my car apart. I guess I had better start the build before I forget that what I now have used to be a car.

Welcome to the forum.

nancejd
08-22-2004, 05:39 PM
I'm almost to the point where my car will be as torn apart as it is going to get. The engine and trans is ready to pull, then the subframe. Then it's time for cleanup and starting to put stuff back together. Every time I see an old car on the road it makes me wish mine was done, it sure seems to be taking longer than I thought it would.

Rileys68Camaro
08-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Did I mention it was 3/4's finished? I got the motor running and stuff, but as I go to clean it up and check things, I find stuff really wrong.

Plus, it was all painted(wrong color, close, but not quite), but they didn't paint the guage panel behind the steering wheel, stole my carb, and ran into the back of it with another car. Closed off a header pipe, installed the A/C though they weren't supposed and did it wrong, mounted the tranny wrong etc.

So, I did have it all stripped, blasted the subframe, rebuilt it with SS brakes, PST suspension, new inner fenders, all new glass, that one pane is now missing, they used a different master cylinder then came in the kit and it leaked eating the paint on the firewall.

So I'm almost starting over. But I figure, since it's been so long, I'll get it together, get familiar with the car, drive it for a summer and then redo the front end and redo anything I don't like. Most of it can be done without taking the car off the road for more than a week or two.

derekf
08-23-2004, 05:29 AM
I guess it's true what they say - if you want something done right, or at least not horribly wrong, you've got to do it yourself.

Glad to hear you're making forward progress, and welcome to the site. Any chance of pics?

Rileys68Camaro
08-24-2004, 05:00 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/08/standard-8.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/08/standard-9.jpg

Best I have right now.