PDA

View Full Version : CNC Experts

sunkistcamaro
03-06-2005, 07:20 AM
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone has experience in converting a solid model into a CNC program. I would like to bring a few designs to a CNC shop to have them made. I work in Unigraphics and can convert the solid model into a DXF or IGES file. The place I went to said that they pull up the solid model and pick points off the model to write a program. While that can be done, they charge $75 per hour to do this besides I know that there is an easier way than that.
Thanks

MoeBawlz
03-07-2005, 10:29 AM
cant they just use an STL file? Im not sure if its doable on a CNC but I use STLs on rapid prototyping machines.

One of my professors converted his UG file and made a CNC part from it, and im pretty sure he just did an STL but i can find out for sure for you.

sunkistcamaro
03-07-2005, 01:22 PM
That would be great!!
Please let me know if that worked for him.
So far the only thing I found out is can export a DXF and import it into MasterCam. I guess MasterCam can post out to a CNC machine.

pav8427
03-07-2005, 04:52 PM
bill,

i would have to check with the design guy at work but i think we can
convert anything over. we work mainly with solidworks, but we also
have a pretty decent network of resources.

depending on how much work these pieces have, it may be possible to
manually program the parts into the machine and save some cash.

i have the ability to machine stuff as large as 32 x 64 x 30, and
wouldn't mind taking a crack at anything you have in mind.
i also have at my disposal a complete fab shop.

we are located in central minnesota and maybe the shipping cost
on any parts might offset the difference in labor costs.

besides i'm a gearhead, and i love a good challenge.

pm me and let me know what you have in mind.

thanks, doug

pav8427
03-08-2005, 03:22 PM
hi bill,

master cam is used for the sole purpose of turning 'drawings' into
cnc programs.

we just got master cam, and although i havent been able to play with it yet, it looks simple.

let me know if i can help you out.

doug.

sunkistcamaro
03-09-2005, 05:47 AM
Thanks Doug, I'll let you know.
I just found that UG can post a program.
Im going to take the course ASAP.

MoeBawlz
03-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Yah i just talked to my professor today about it, he said that he had to use a seperate program to create the tool path based off the UG file.

sunkistcamaro
03-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks for checking into that for me

rob07002
03-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Hey Doug, would you be able to machine the plastic piece on the dash of a 69 camaro where the grab handle goes out of billet aluminum? Here is a link to Rick's Camaros site which should help.

http://www.rickscamaros.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/catalog_dash.htm?L+scstore+xkfj1578ff2fda2f+111106 8834

PS Sorry if I hijacked this thread,

pav8427
03-16-2005, 06:39 PM
shouldnt be a problem. i think i know where i can get dimensions for
one, but if i cant, i would need a few dimensions and maybe a couple
good photos of the part.
possible could even supply it with anodizing.

doug

rob07002
03-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Doug, that would be very cool. And I was also thinking where the "Camaro" emlem would go on that piece, if you could engrave, for lack of a better term, the "Camaro" script into it.... I'm loving it

How much do you think something like that would cost to make.

phaseshift
04-11-2005, 08:01 PM
I am way late on this thread, but I can assist.
If you have a solid model that is created using any of the more common CAD suites, you are in business with a program like MasterCAM. We do all of our design work in 3D and in many cases go directly to the CNC form the file. Of course prints have to be created for documentation purposes, but they are somewhat window dressing at this point.
In some cases, you may be able to create the .stl file to shoot a SLA or 3dp prototype, but the conversion may not jive well if then converted again using some other program then going to cutter code. If you can, stick with one conversion or a direct output to the CAM suite and then double check to make sure the geometry does not have any skews in it.