PDA

View Full Version : roll cage question

69camarokid
01-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Im looking for an 8 point roll cage for my 69 camaro. But all the cage i see for sale on jegs and summit have the straight style bars in the front amking it harder to get in and out of the car as well as blocking off the door handles and window cranks.

Ive seen ones before where the bad swoops low so its easy to get in and out of the car as well as making the door handle and window crank easily accessible. I just cant find out where this type of kit is sold. Any ideas on where to look. This is a street car so im just looking for something to stregnthen the rigidity nad in case it one day gets in to the low 11s high 10s id like the cage for safety.

thanks

Ron S
01-30-2009, 04:17 AM
S&W cage isn't too bad,I've got it in my Camaro.The main hoop fit pretty good,but I did modify the front bars to get them closer to the dash.Used an exhaust bender at a buddy of mines exhaust shop,1.75 roll bar tubing bends nice in 1.75 exhaust dies.Ron

19sixtynine
01-30-2009, 09:07 AM
not sure if this will work for you, but this is a pretty slick bolt together system. As of nov.08 the site states they are not certified but apparently it's in the works.

http://www.ridetech.com/tigercage/

Just thought i'd mention it.....

astroracer
01-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Check out Alston...
http://www.cachassisworks.com

They don't have the dropped bars but you can easily modify one of the kits to get what you need.

Be careful on the side bars. The dropped style are nice for ingress/egress but most sanctioning bodies won't clear them for racing use.
Mark

vintageracer
01-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Ask around locally who is a fabulous race car roll cage fabricator and call them. You may be very surprised how cheap a custom cage might be since many race car fabricators are STARVING! Just remember their first price will not be their best price. Negotiate, Negotiate Negotiate!

As an example, there is a lot of fabrication talent looking for something to do in North Carolina since most every NASCAR team has laid loff lots of fabricators.

I am sure that is also the case in California. There has got to be several great cage fabricators local to you in California looking for something to do!

69camarokid
01-30-2009, 02:48 PM
not sure if this will work for you, but this is a pretty slick bolt together system. As of nov.08 the site states they are not certified but apparently it's in the works.

http://www.ridetech.com/tigercage/

Just thought i'd mention it.....

Wow... that is the sickest cage i have ever seen...
I LOVE IT! too bad its waaayyyyyyy outside my meager budget. But if i ever win the lottery or gain a rich dead uncle then ill be all over it!

gateman
01-30-2009, 07:11 PM
I doubt the tiger cage will get certified...Looks good and adds rigidity but thats it... I agree to check local fab shops.. My custom made 10 point was $2500 and will certify for 9 second car..

Ron S
01-31-2009, 05:16 AM
Most of the cage kits are less then $300,but I just helped a buddy pick up his car from a local chassis builder.Certified cage =$7800.Way too expensive fot my blood,but it was the best builder in this area.I'm sure there are cheaper guys,or you could have a local fabricator install a $300 kit.I agree about the front bars,they are never tight enough,that it why I did my own cage on my Mustang,nobody made a kit tight enough for my taste,but the bender was $2000.Ron

SDMAN
01-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Just took my project out of the chassis shop. Among various other things (custom headers, torsion bar, etc) I had them install a moly NHRA legal 8.50 cage. My car will be considerably quicker than 10.0, so I had to do it. We used the Alston pieces that allow for removing the door bars and rear hoop cross bar, so when street driving there are no entry/exit issues. At race time you simply bolt them back in, add slicks and go for it.
And my cage was scratch built (meaning it fits the cars interior well) and only cost $3500. A good chassis shop that fabs their own stuff is the only way to go. Forget the pre-cut/bent kits. The fit/finish is very inconsistent.

chicane67
01-31-2009, 03:06 PM
The "Tiger Cage" (and some other roll cage specific's) have been discussed in length before...

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=17414&highlight=tiger+cage

Chewy72ss
01-31-2009, 06:07 PM
Jeg's sells the door bars you are looking for. They call them "Pro Street door bars". Although, it may be Summit. Check 'em out.

I agree with the others though...custom built is the way to go, but for some (like this guy right here) it's just too pricey.

BAILEIGH INC
02-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Have you thought of bending your own?