PDA

View Full Version : Can't Restore 68 camaro in driveway due to outrageous city ordinances???

1BADRS
01-27-2009, 06:01 PM
1/27/09*
Cant restore 68 camaro on driveway due to city ordinance?????
Hey guys, I am reaching out to a couple of my favorite hang outs as I simply do not know what to do.
I have been restoring my car out in my driveway since last may..(Mystic Angel Project.)
Maybe some of you have been following the thread.
My hometown Mesquite Texas, is on to me about moving my car and thus foiling my plot to restore it or work on it. I do not know what to do, and do not know what can be done if anything legally or otherwise. No this is not an attempt to sell my car, so please dont ask.
I know the temptation is there to ask. I want to continue to simply work on my car.
Here is the code:
Junked Vehicles
City Code 10-166, & 9-187 prohibits any vehicle that does not have current registration
and inspection sticker ( have the title and can register it but cant sticker it as its unoperable. The Tax office I said i can title it as unoperble.) and/ or is wrecked, dismantled, discarded or inoperable and has remained unoperable for more than 48 hours on public property or more than 30 days on private property.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/th_000_0146-1.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb156/osso12/Mystic%20Angel/?action=view&current=000_0146.jpg)

Some options I have considered.
#1. Move the car to a storage facility. That costs $65 a month. The storage option
is not all that great either as im not allowed to work on the car in the storage area.
Ie, id have to move it back and forth between home and the storage place (right around the corner.)
#2. Find a lawyer to assist.
#3. Move. Dont want to do that as I have been in the same house since 1978.
I am totally at a loss as I simply do not think its fair. I do not have a garage, nor can afford to have one built. If I added anytype of structure it would have city codes.
I cannot keep the car in the backyard or any unpaved surface as that is forebade as well.
Any Ideas?/ Thanks Fellas!
-1BADRS aka MY68RS

TonyL
01-27-2009, 06:05 PM
how about a pole barn or pole tent to "garage" it? It'd be way cheap. and be a sweet loophole.

TonyL
01-27-2009, 06:06 PM
and then cut some windows into the tent walls around your car that look like this....

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Im talking about one of these. They're usually not that expensive.

1BADRS
01-27-2009, 06:15 PM
hehee thats great Tony!
Well not sure.
The person next door to me had basically a covered awning (speller)
out of frame post and tent material. It did not cover the entire driveway (simply half the driveway) to keep the rain off the neighbors car and the city threw a fit about that even.
Its like about 15 or 20 feet in length and about 9 feet wide or so and has a peaked roof at the center. The city has some complaint that it was either sticking too far in the driveway, or that it was not legal or some BS. about to call my neighbor as we speak, maybe they have a suggestion. But, Thank for the post as it might be an option. Bad thing is, anything we do has to be approved by the good ol city of Mesquite.
I wonder if I could get enough supporters to call
Ms Willice Holand @ 972-329-8711?????????
And tell them you are outraged that your fellow restoration enthusiast can't continue. LOL
I dont care at this point if I make em mad and they (city) come haul the car off.. I have had it with the city. :machine:
It gets worse and worse, and not better.
Just a quick note. That bulding you show would have to have concrete under is as they wont let you place a vehicle on beam or any kind of unpaved surface. Has to be a poured slab.

TonyL
01-27-2009, 06:51 PM
It's all about the permits. Tell them it's temporary and they should be fair giving you a permit to have it. Your neighbor probably didn't get one.

1BADRS
01-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Looks like the best choice. If they will let me put one on the driveway.

6'9"Witha69
01-27-2009, 07:03 PM
The cities are losing money on property taxes as values fall, and looking to make a little more anywhere they can.

There was a story last night out of Long Beach, California. Police are using an old law regarding commercial vehicles, defined as over 3 tons by the ordinance, and ticketing all 3500 series trucks and the likewise for parking on non truck routes. They have also been told they cannot operate the vehicles off any of the whopping 14 truck routes in the whole city. This law is old, but just started to be enforced. I think $$$ is the big reason.

It really sucks. I have CC&Rs in my neighborhood and it basically comes down to you can't even change an air filter in your driveway. I understand the reasons for these rules. I don't want to live around people with a bunch wrecked or clapped out cars in the front yard/driveway. But they usually go waaay overboard and hurt everyone when they make such restrictive laws.

1BADRS
01-27-2009, 07:11 PM
I don't want to live around people with a bunch wrecked or clapped out cars in the front yard/driveway. But they usually go waaay overboard and hurt everyone when they make such restrictive laws.
I understand that too. But, most people with any comon sense would realize the car is not a dented up, rusted rotted out,
banged up car that nobody wants. Anyway you slice it, its an antique. I think there should be a law that protects the rights of "antiques" alone. Much as how a landmark would protect particular property and said resources and certain bulding structures.
Im sure there is a way to challenge it and win, I just dont want to go though the time and expense to do so.
As no lawer would want to challenge a city ordinance, or would laugh for trying to.
Surely there are tons of people like me though that have the same issues??
Not everyone has a garage...LOL..

Rag-Rat
01-27-2009, 07:46 PM
If it cost $65 a month (plus taxes) for a storage unit, plus the money in gas and time going back and forth. See if you can finance a storage shed with a roll-up door for the back yard for $90 a month. Roll it out to work on it and put back in each night.

gearheads78
01-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Been there brother...right next door in Garland. I finally got tired of being harrased and moved. Now I am in no city limits and no HOA.

CRead01
01-27-2009, 10:13 PM
does your state make you drive your car in? can you just throw plates and insurance on it?

our local laws say you cant have a car in the driveway that doesn't have a valid plate doesn't say what condition it is.

I would just check out the law and see exactly what it says.

derekf
01-28-2009, 04:29 AM
I cannot keep the car in the backyard or any unpaved surface as that is forebade as well.
A friend who was running into the same issue (yes, in Mesquite) with storing a boat said that he went to Home Depot and got some of those 24" concrete paving stones, and put the wheels on that, and that the city said that was sufficient to make it a paved surface. However, he did have some issues with "honesty" so he may have been full of it.

The big thing about them dinging you on having it in the backyard/unpaved surface is them being able to see that it's there (or the neighbors reporting you).

Vegas69
01-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Hell...I agree with the city. Nothing personal but most guys that rebuild stuff in there driveway make a mess and leave it. Imagine driving through your home town and seing that in every other driveway. Build a garage or similar.

68Formula
01-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Hell...I agree with the city. Nothing personal but most guys that rebuild stuff in there driveway make a mess and leave it. Imagine driving through your home town and seing that in every other driveway. Build a garage or similar.

Oh, please this is just like every other stupid law in the books, where a handful of people piss others off, and a government official goes overboard by passing a law to stop them, while in the process screwing others. This law isn't doing much to stop the actual problem, but it is causing issues for those trying to do a positive thing. You pay the taxes and you pay for the house, so there's no reason why they need to tell what to do with your stuff on your property.

Vegas69
01-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Hey..I am a car enthusiast and built my car in the garage and definitely not one of those guys. However, if you own a property within a township or subject to CC+R's and didn't do your homework prior to buying should you be able to break the rules? I for one wouldn't want my neighbor to have a mess in his driveway next to my house when I'm trying to sell it. (Not saying badrs does)

Wrecked Em
01-28-2009, 11:13 AM
It looks as though your house may have had a garage door where the windows are now. If so, it may be time to convert back?

1BADRS
01-28-2009, 12:45 PM
It looks as though your house may have had a garage door where the windows are now. If so, it may be time to convert back?

And have to have the city of Mesquite come back and do a final inspection on it??
He hehe.. no.. no thank you..
No, when we moved here in 78, it was already converted.
Yall guys have some great ideas though.
:1st:
Im going down to the hardware store and check some prices on small enclosures for the time being.

1BADRS
01-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Ok.. I have ten days to decide something or moving it.
Boss (chief code inspector Ted Perez) told me to call building inspection to see If one of those "garage in a box" would be ok. He said that if building inspection was ok with it, that he was ok with it.
So I can start making plans to put it out back for a while.
:yes:

68Formula
01-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey..I am a car enthusiast and built my car in the garage and definitely not one of those guys. However, if you own a property within a township or subject to CC+R's and didn't do your homework prior to buying should you be able to break the rules? I for one wouldn't want my neighbor to have a mess in his driveway next to my house when I'm trying to sell it. (Not saying badrs does)

First of all... proud of you that you can afford a garage. I guess if you can't you shouldn't be allowed to build a car.

Second, I didn't say he should be allowed to break them, I said it's ridiculous that in a so-called "free nation", rules like that even exist.

And did you really try to say everyone should be sure to check ordinances before purchasing a house, on the off-chance they decide to build a car later? Seriously?

I like the old "oh, my property values, my property values" :nopity:... well tell you what, when I'm not selling my house I want the darn property values low... it lowers my taxes. Exactly how often are you selling your house anyways?

He's probably one guy in the entire city doing this. Do you really feel this problem would run rampant if these laws did not exist? Because that's what your implying. If so, then prove it. Find a city that doesn't have this ordinance and take a photo of a block that has more than one person restoring a car without a garage. According to you if the city doesn't have the ordinance it should be rather common.

We have people dying overseas for our so-called freedom so that nosy neighbors can tell others what to do on their own property (I guess so it doesn't affect property values). Doesn't sound free to me.

It's not like he's selling crack out of it.

One more thing, a real car guy would rather see a car restored outside, than watch it go to the crusher.

P.S. I have a garage, and have never had run-in from the neighbors about my property because I do keep it nice. And I love living in an area where every lawn looks like a golfcourse, and everything is nice and tidy. I just don't believe in stomping on other people rights in order to get it.

nicks67camaro
01-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Boss (chief code inspector Ted Perez) told me to call building inspection to see If one of those "garage in a box" would be ok. He said that if building inspection was ok with it, that he was ok with it.

If you go with the pop up garage I would just play dumb. Find out what permits are needed (My father had to pay around $100.00 for a permit to have it) pay it, post it, and forget about it. Don't disclose more information to the building inspector then you have to.

Good luck

Vegas69
01-28-2009, 05:12 PM
First of all... proud of you that you can afford a garage. I guess if you can't you shouldn't be allowed to build a car.

Second, I didn't say he should be allowed to break them, I said it's ridiculous that in a so-called "free nation", rules like that even exist.

And did you really try to say everyone should be sure to check ordinances before purchasing a house, on the off-chance they decide to build a car later? Seriously?

I like the old "oh, my property values, my property values" :nopity:... well tell you what, when I'm not selling my house I want the darn property values low... it lowers my taxes. Exactly how often are you selling your house anyways?

He's probably one guy in the entire city doing this. Do you really feel this problem would run rampant if these laws did not exist? Because that's what your implying. If so, then prove it. Find a city that doesn't have this ordinance and take a photo of a block that has more than one person restoring a car without a garage. According to you if the city doesn't have the ordinance it should be rather common.

We have people dying overseas for our so-called freedom so that nosy neighbors can tell others what to do on their own property (I guess so it doesn't affect property values). Doesn't sound free to me.

It's not like he's selling crack out of it.

One more thing, a real car guy would rather see a car restored outside, than watch it go to the crusher.

P.S. I have a garage, and have never had run-in from the neighbors about my property because I do keep it nice. And I love living in an area where every lawn looks like a golfcourse, and everything is nice and tidy. I just don't believe in stomping on other people rights in order to get it.
:):bsjerk:

1BADRS
01-28-2009, 05:20 PM
If you go with the pop up garage I would just play dumb. Find out what permits are needed (My father had to pay around $100.00 for a permit to have it) pay it, post it, and forget about it. Don't disclose more information to the building inspector then you have to.

Good luck

Thanks. For now that is the course I am pursuing. Did not get ahold of the building inspector today though. Maybe tommorrow.

6'9"Witha69
01-28-2009, 08:26 PM
First of all... proud of you that you can afford a garage. I guess if you can't you shouldn't be allowed to build a car.:hammer:
Second, I didn't say he should be allowed to break them, I said it's ridiculous that in a so-called "free nation", rules like that even exist.Thing about certain 'rights' is that granting to one often infringes on others. I said these are overreaching, it is ridiculous I can't use my garage to change an air filter. But I also don't want my neighbors painting cars in theirs (fumes, dust, pollution, etc) nor using it as a repair shop (cars lining the streets, driveways covered in grease, and all kinds of people coming and going). Not a neighborhood I would want to live in.
He's probably one guy in the entire city doing this. Do you really feel this problem would run rampant if these laws did not exist? Because that's what your implying. If so, then prove it. Find a city that doesn't have this ordinance and take a photo of a block that has more than one person restoring a car without a garage. According to you if the city doesn't have the ordinance it should be rather common.My city has 2 areas, the Northern part, and the Southern. You know when you are in South Fontana because the scene is as you describe, cars of varying degrees of disrepair and decay, where in my area the houses are nicer, the yards are better kept and driveways are devoid of non functioning vehicles. The big difference, in the same city, CC&Rs here and none down South. Yes I could take that picture for you if you like. I can describe Upland and several other cities around that way as well.

I like the old "oh, my property values, my property values" ... well tell you what, when I'm not selling my house I want the darn property values low... it lowers my taxes. Exactly how often are you selling your house anyways?Seriously??!! A home is the single greatest INVESTMENT 85% of Americans make. Do you really want that investment to return nothing? Or a slight marginal return?? Guesws what, when you factor in the interest you pay to buy that house, and the fact that about, hmmmm, EVERYONE wants to be able to trade up to a bigger house some day to accommodate a larger family or just have a little more room to swing a cat. If your expectation is that will work in your favor (higher values) as long as there is a 'For Sale' sign in your front grass, I want what your smoking. Reality is, real value increases slowly over time.
Never mind the fact that depressed property values bring in, dare I say it, the lower element. Yes, there is a class of people I do NOT want to live next to.

FULMNTE
01-29-2009, 10:46 AM

Can you get an antique vehicle registration for it? Here in Illinois, antiques vehicles are exempt of inspections and stickers...

Just a thought...

Andreas

1BADRS
01-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Can you get an antique vehicle registration for it? Here in Illinois, antiques vehicles are exempt of inspections and stickers...

Just a thought...

Andreas
If I end up tagging it while its not running or restored (dont make a lot of sense to me just to keep it current for two or more yrs) I could tag it antique. That would rule out having to have an inspection sticker.

Happyfunballs
01-30-2009, 05:26 AM
Well said 6-9.:cheer

Gearhead Dude
01-30-2009, 06:22 AM
Anyway you look at it, some of your Resto money will be going to this new "project". You may want to consider renting a nearby shop and splitting the rent with some local car buddies or car club. I doubt that you're the only one facing this issue in your area.

T_Raven
01-30-2009, 06:54 AM
I can't stand laws like this. Unless I lived in a "cookie cutter" neighborhood where everything is so perfect it makes you want to puke then I should be able to do whatever I want with my property. I don't care what my neighbors do, it's THEIR property that they work so hard to pay for. Well, noise can be an issue but as far as having a car in a state of disrepair, to all that bitch about it, grow up! What's next? I can't have paint chips on the house because it's an eye sore?? I can't leave my hose out on the lawn unless it's in a straight line parallel to the road so that it doesn't look sloppy?? Yeah people shouldn't be turning their yards into junk yards but having a project and keeping things tidy is fine with me. And even if they leave things laying around all sloppy and stain the concrete and whatever else, it's their yard so who cares?

T_Raven
01-30-2009, 06:59 AM
I'm going to live in the woods and have a castle with a big ass wall and mote and .50 cals mounted on the corners and I'll make all the messes I want to with my "eye sore" firebirds and never have to deal with people ever again haha

Gearhead Dude
01-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Let me tie this in with a plug for SEMA and how they fight on our behalf. Know that the local governments will be more emboldened to enforce existing or enact new rules and regulations with the new attitude in DC. Be aware that they are currently targeting trucks and SUVs (NEWER than 1999) to get them off the road as gross polluters.
Check out the website for full details. Be aware and be involved! http://www.sema.org/Main/StartPage.aspx

wmhjr
01-31-2009, 06:31 AM

Um, not true whatsoever. Your property values are not variable. They were set when you purchased your home and/or if there was a local reassessment. You can trash your house to the point where it's worthless but your property taxes will not go down. However, your neighbor who is trying to sell his house may not be able to because you lowered his home value. And, if you chose to use the equity in your home to pay for your kids college or whatever, those property values are important (especially today).

Not saying I completely agree with the ordnance, but let's a least be honest about it. Not everyone is relatively neat about their projects, and without some sort of control these things can end up making a neighborhood look like a slum.

wmhjr
01-31-2009, 06:37 AM
I can't stand laws like this. Unless I lived in a "cookie cutter" neighborhood where everything is so perfect it makes you want to puke then I should be able to do whatever I want with my property. I don't care what my neighbors do, it's THEIR property that they work so hard to pay for. Well, noise can be an issue but as far as having a car in a state of disrepair, to all that bitch about it, grow up! What's next? I can't have paint chips on the house because it's an eye sore?? I can't leave my hose out on the lawn unless it's in a straight line parallel to the road so that it doesn't look sloppy?? Yeah people shouldn't be turning their yards into junk yards but having a project and keeping things tidy is fine with me. And even if they leave things laying around all sloppy and stain the concrete and whatever else, it's their yard so who cares?

You're partially right in principle. But here's the rub. How do you define "having a project and keeping things tidy"? A home is the largest investment that people make in their lives most of the time. Especially now. And some people unfortunately are forced to relocate due to work. As a career army retiree, that sure happened to me. So, those people have to consider home values. If people like the OP (who probably is very neat and considerate about his work area) were the norm, this type of rule wouldn't be required. But the ordnance isn't aimed at them. It's aimed at the people who have junk in their driveways and yards. Problem is that you can't make a law so specific that it only applies to them, so the good people get hurt as well. It sucks, but it's reality. If somebody moves into a house next to you and scatters junk cars in the front yard it would cost you tens of thousands of dollars. That's where THEIR rights have directly infringed on YOURS. And that isn't right.

T_Raven
01-31-2009, 08:50 AM
yeah that's true about the oppinions of what's acceptable and what's not, but there has to be a better way to set up the laws so that people can actually USE their property rather than just having a spotless yard all the time so that the old lady next door isn't offended.

The other thing that Erks me is the whole idea of getting these "gross poluters" off the road. Sure I think all new cars should be more and more efficient and environmentally friendly as technology allows. But to try to take old cars off the road and force people to buy new ones is rediculous. The process of crushing and re cycling cars polutes, as do all the processes of making a new one. You make just as much polution crushing a car and making a new "Greener" car than you would if you just kept driving the old car. Plus the newer car will still polute, just slightly less. And not everyone can use a dang Prius anyway. Some of us need trucks. I also heard once that these days cars aren't really the major source of polution, that factories are worse but that could be wrong. I could go off for hours about all this stuff but I better stop before I get an ulcer haha. I'm just saying it would polute more to destroy all the cars on the road and make new hibrids than it would to just keep driving the ones that exist and stop making so many new ones.

James OLC
01-31-2009, 09:48 AM
It's hard to tell from your picture but is there room to set up one of those temporary garage structures beside the house? It would be off the driveway and, in theory, could get around the bylaws. A combination of sidewalk blocks and plywood could make a reasonable floor?

wmhjr
02-01-2009, 05:56 AM
The bottom line here is that the OP needs to talk to their local municipality to determine what is permitted and what is not. For example, I know of areas which do not allow "temporary structures" for longer than a short period of time. My own municipality has rules even about what a temporary structure is. Somebody about 3 miles away has one of those pipe and canvas temporary garages, that in order to protect it from high wind they bolted the base into the concrete pad it was sitting on. That turned it into a permanent structure. You also need to know what kind of "set back" is required from adjacent property lines, etc. Every municipality is different, and I'd hate for this guy to spend money and have it not work out, or worse yet get fined. This is an unfortunate situation - hope it gets worked out. Hopefully talking with the municipality will result in a reasonable solution.

MonzaRacer
02-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Stupid ordinance enforcement, there should be permits allowed with specific rules allowing the person to keep project covered either in one of the carport garages or under car cover while in process of building, make a yr long permit, renewable with proper documentation ( ie building plans with progress reports attached) just as easy as making a fella get rid of a car. I f you make good progress with written reports they let you keep going, small fees for each permit different prices for different lengths. Say for 3 mo permit one price, like ya got to swap engine and trans, of course you keep it clean and dont trash a place up ( except for small period of days allowed by permit).Properly written and enforced you could help all involved And not affect values.

Vegas69
02-01-2009, 08:21 PM
We are talking about the same overwhelmed government here right. LOL

1BADRS
02-02-2009, 06:36 PM
You know I am making plans to put it around back and put a 6 ft tall privacy fence directly in front of the car. Basically the car will be sandwhiched inbetween the house itself, and the fence.
I have exactly enough room to work on the car and an extra foot or two. But if the city says one thing about they privacy fence; no you wont be able to see the car once its behind the fence from either the front streets or rear streets including the alley, but I swear if they say anything about the privacy fence (only 18 feet long)
about it being a fence inside of a chain link fence, ect,
I swear I will go postal on them.
:enguard:

dropit69
02-02-2009, 06:58 PM
im my area there are companys that make yard sheds big enough to get your car in they deliver them right to your yard then you could get a winch and roll it in and out to work on it..i cant see anything wrong with that..its just a big shed..

wmhjr
02-03-2009, 08:04 AM
You know I am making plans to put it around back and put a 6 ft tall privacy fence directly in front of the car. Basically the car will be sandwhiched inbetween the house itself, and the fence.
I have exactly enough room to work on the car and an extra foot or two. But if the city says one thing about they privacy fence; no you wont be able to see the car once its behind the fence from either the front streets or rear streets including the alley, but I swear if they say anything about the privacy fence (only 18 feet long)
about it being a fence inside of a chain link fence, ect,
I swear I will go postal on them.
:enguard:

I'd still check with them about putting the fence up. You may need a permit, but this sounds like a good solution. Good luck!

derekf
02-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Your fence idea isn't a bad plan....

Sec. 10-164. Certain motor vehicles parked in yards.
(a) It shall be unlawful and a nuisance for any person to suffer and permit upon any real property owned, controlled or occupied by said person within the city for a period in excess of seven (7) days any motor vehicle in a condition such as to make it incapable of being operated or incapable of being lawfully operated upon the public streets and highways of the state or in a condition of partial dismantlement such as without a fender or fenders, hood, windshield or other major part hereof, though physically capable of being operated without such part unless such motor vehicle is screened from view on all sides by a solid wall or fence not less than six (6) feet high and is parked on an improved surface as required in section 10-14.

and from 10-14:

(b) [Definitions. ] For purposes of this section:
(1) Vehicle or equipment shall include house trailers, mobile homes, motor vehicles, trucks, passenger motor vehicles, motor homes, camper cabins, motorcycles, trailers, boats, farm machinery or similar equipment.
(2) Improved surface shall mean:
a. In the case of a business establishment, a surface paved according to city specifications for parking lots; or
b. In the case of a residence, a standard driveway or an approved parking space consisting of reinforced concrete having a minimum depth of four (4) inches. Provided that within that portion of the rear yard between the side yards an improved surface shall also include:
i. Compacted gravel or crushed rock contained within a distinct border and having a minimum depth of four (4) inches;
ii. Asphalt having a minimum depth of four (4) inches over a four-inch stabilized base consisting of compacted crushed stone, cement treated base or soil cement base; or
iii. Interlocking concrete paving stones at least two (2) inches thick on a base consisting of a layer of bedding sand over a minimum four (4) inches of compacted crushed stone, cement treated base or soil cement base.
c. Runners, as defined herein, are not an improved surface.
(snip some)
(3) Runners shall mean a parking surface consisting of the materials specified in subsection 10-14(b)(2)(b) installed only under the wheels of a vehicle or equipment with an unimproved area under the body of the vehicle or equipment.

Looks like you can do it without having to build a garage, etc. I think you need a permit to put the fence up but other than that so long as you follow their rules, I doubt they can really do anything other than waggle their finger at you. Make sure you follow the rules about the parking surface to the letter.

FYI, the Mesquite municipal code is available online at http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=11248&sid=43 if you're curious.

1BADRS
02-11-2009, 03:32 PM
2/11/09
Ok.. Heres the deal.
I had moved the car around back this past weekend.
Had it covered up ect.
I call the inspector back for the umpteenth time.
She said someone called back in on it today.
Said that somone complained " We got a car in the back yard over here at BLAH BLAH BLAY ( My current residense)
Anyway, I said fine, let me know what I need to do.
She says well you were told to call building inspection and find out your options..
I said, well I only called no less than 20 times and left my number each time. So she hangs up calls the inpsector herself. I get a call in 10 minutes from the inspector. Now talk about service!
Anyway, I explained the situation and he said I need to have a 6 ft privacy fence and an Improved surface pad.. All need permits of course!
Anyway.. so left him and told him id try to get that done.
10 minutes later, the code inspector calls back.
"What are you going to do with the car?"
I told her what the building inspector said word per word...
"Oh no mr scott.. you cant do that" blaah blahh blahh...
"You have to have it in a garage like MR PEREZ TOLD YOU."
I said wait a minute here.. Now we are going in circles here.. You tell me one thing, building inspector tells me something else.. MR PEREZ tells me to call building inspection, that I did, and I am telling you what he said I could do. " Well do you have tags on the vehicle?" No ma am..but Ill get them. "when" im like Jesus christ lady.. Its 5: 00 i doubt if anyone is open here in MESQUITE. Her retort was ill give you a week to get the plates on it then we will go from there... So you see people???
The LEFT hand sure as hell dont know what the FEET are doing.
I am going to go down to tags office and inquire on this "Historic Vehicle Tag."
If its the same as a antique car tag, I can register the car however I want, but that would be the prefered as an antique untill the car gets built cause I wont have to have an inspection sticker. If I register it as an inoperable vehicle, I can do too, but then again, the city would probably say something.. Who the crap knows?
Are these "Historic Vehicle Tags permanant tags or temporary?
Is it the same as registering as an "Antique Vehicle" as it would be in the State of Texas...
Im all ears...and Pissed to boot!

1BADRS
02-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys for all your help on this subject.

Update: 2/12
The long battle is WON. In our favor.
Now, since I have tags on the car they really cant legally tow it off my property now.
They told that since tags are on it, I need to immediatly move the car to the front driveway again. YES. Back to square 1 where we started.
The said the cover should not remain on the car unless I absoloutly (speller)
need the cover. I told her there was no glass on the car. (reason i need help with some glass) She said once the car is around front, apply for a improved parking pad and a fence around back. total of $55 for the permits.
Once I have the pad paved or done, and fence built I may move the car around back to the fenced area. The other stipulation is that I do not paint anymore, and that if the car is sold, that i do not bring any cars back on the property to be restored. I can have (1) (which is mentioned in the city ordinance).
So now neighbor, eat crow.........

O yes, i forgot 1 thing.. they want me to commit to a completion date..

FULMNTE
02-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Happy to see that things worked out for ya...

Did you end up getting the Antique Car Tags or regular tags?

dropit69
02-12-2009, 11:07 AM
ok remind me never move to your town..sorry but i have 2 non ops in my driveway and never been hasseled..glad you won for now..now get working on it..lol

derekf
02-13-2009, 03:36 AM
It's more the neighbor than anything else, Darrin. Nobody has ever said anything about my non-op.

martZ
02-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Do you know which neighbor is complaining? Perhaps there's an open records law? See if they are breaking any ordinances. It's usually one d-bag that complains non stop that starts this crap.

1BADRS
02-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Do you know which neighbor is complaining? Perhaps there's an open records law? See if they are breaking any ordinances. It's usually one d-bag that complains non stop that starts this crap.

But this all gets better.
There is a 1970 Mach I that is on my same street for the past 20 yrs.. The car has not moved or been driven in the past 20 yrs...
It is on four flat tires at this writing......It has a car cover over it... The city has never to my knowledge written him up at all in the last 20 yrs for pretty much the same oridinance violation.
Anyone care to guess why a man on the same street as mine can get away with it, and I cant? https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/02/yes-1.gif
Id like to hear replys on this. This is true, and I have verified it from a reliable source that wishes to remain annonymous on the said subject.

1BADRS
02-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Happy to see that things worked out for ya...

Did you end up getting the Antique Car Tags or regular tags?

Had to put antique car tags on it.
Its registered for 5 yrs.
I am going to move the car back around front for now.

GetMore
02-13-2009, 05:37 PM
There is a 1970 Mach I that is on my same street for the past 20 yrs.. The car has not moved or been driven in the past 20 yrs...
It is on four flat tires at this writing......It has a car cover over it... The city has never to my knowledge written him up at all in the last 20 yrs for pretty much the same oridinance violation.
Anyone care to guess why a man on the same street as mine can get away with it, and I cant? https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/02/yes-1.gif
It's my guess that nobody has complained about that other car. Usually the towns don't really care, it's only when people complain that they pay attention. (Unless it's an actual hazard-then they have to take action on their own.)

There is a lesson here for all of us: Find out what rules you need to abide by, and if you know there may be a complaint, erect a fence beforehand. I believe most juristictions that have issues with doing this kind of work on cars let you get away with it if it is not in public view. A six foot fence is usually all that is required, even if there is some kind of hill that would allow people to see over it.

T_Raven
02-14-2009, 06:35 AM
Speaking of D bag neighbors, I use to park my talon across the street from the house I lived in because 4 of us lived there. They guy who lived in the house I parked in front of one day asked me to park further back so he could fit his truck in front of me, and that was fine, so I did. Well one day I took my truck to my parent's house for the weekend and he called the cops and had my car towed. Apparently you can't leave a car on the street for more than 48 hours or they can tow it. They mark the tire to know if it has moved at all. I said to the cop..."so you're telling me I can't go away for the weekend w/o having my car towed?" They said that there were notices placed on the car but my roomates never saw them. The other neighbor told me that someone had been taking them off. I guess my D bag neighbor figured that since it was a faded old talon that I wouldn't bother get it back. All the guy had to do was talk to me rather than causing me to lose $200 to get my car back.

mugzilla
02-21-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm always nice to the guards in my non gated condo. I always wave to neighbors. It is pure luck that my court is so cool I actually did a timing chain on my car and nobody complained, . I think that it being a rally red 442 helps. Like the guards would come up and hang and check out Muh Beasty .

lunatic_magnet
02-22-2009, 06:30 PM
i run into this problem from time to time. i like to have a few projects to work on, as well as my 2 circle track cars. unfortunately the roundy rounders are considered "motor vehicles" by the local zoning gestapo, so now and then he shows up and gives me 10 days to move them. i used to shuffle the racecars into the garage, which left another unregistered project sitting outside, which meant moving plates around from project car to project car, etc so everything in the driveway appeared registered...

i ended up just getting myself an enclosed trailer that i use as an extra garage bay to hide something in.
same amount of junk, its just all in how you hide it. ;)

jpdeuce
02-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Could the guy with the mustang be the caller?

1BADRS
02-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Could the guy with the mustang be the caller?
Doubt it very seriously.

kurider
03-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Where can you buy one of those tent enclosures? I could use one of those kind of like the one listed in Tony's post

dchandler60
03-04-2009, 08:21 PM
1badrs what street do you on there in mesquite? interested in the mach 1 ,,i can go by there and see if there interested in selling??

mugzilla
03-05-2009, 08:15 AM
In Oregon my pal was allowed to build 10' x 10' "sheds" with skids so he could "move" them . He backed two of them up to each other and put a car inside. We would keep the yard immaculate and did noisy stuff during the day ...

mugzilla
03-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Where can you buy one of those tent enclosures? I could use one of those kind of like the one listed in Tony's post

Lowe's ...

on line ..?

1BADRS
03-05-2009, 08:48 AM
1badrs what street do you on there in mesquite? interested in the mach 1 ,,i can go by there and see if there interested in selling??

You want me to post the address and house number right here on the internet??? :idea:

1BADRS
03-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Lowe's ...

on line ..?

I have heard walmart sells them.
You might try them or Sam's Club.
I have also heard hardware stores sell them.
You might try Home Depot.

GetMore
03-05-2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.shelterlogic.com/

shortrack
04-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Read this whole thread......

All I can say is dude...........move.

I had no probs from my nieghbours but I couldnt do what I wanted to do so I moved and put up a great shop and I will die at this house......It works out in other ways too eg. Now that Im here I sprung for the good new windows and a good new furnace etc etc and didnt mind the expense because Im going to stay here.

blown9746
04-24-2009, 10:15 AM
I feel for the original poster and believe to some extent you should be able to do whatever the hell you want. I'm not a painter, but he had pictures of him painting in the front yard. What kind of pollutants is that putting in the air and / or running off. That I think is a big issue.

XLexusTech
04-24-2009, 11:25 AM
I feel for the original poster and believe to some extent you should be able to do whatever the hell you want. I'm not a painter, but he had pictures of him painting in the front yard. What kind of pollutants is that putting in the air and / or running off. That I think is a big issue.

X2
I live in the live free or die state most take it seriously.
I don't care what you do on your property but start spinning stuff toward my kids that could hurt them like paint fumes.... and I am coming with guns blazing.

:machine:

ProjectSideOiler
05-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Sounds very familiar to me. I was restoring a 68 RS camaro taking it apart in my carport. Each day when done would cover it up. The day AFTER the plates expired I received a notice they were giving me a few days to move car or it would be towed. The next day I was going out of town. No garage and no place to put it. I ended up taking down a section of fence and removing a post on my patio in rear of house and put it there until I returned.

Turns out a neighbor complained because he did not like old cars or hotrods. Car sat there on patio for months until I could build a garage.

(Scottsdale, Arizona) The complaints kept on a coming. Turns out a neighbor across alley tried to build a garage and his yard was not big enough for proper setbacks so when ever anyone in neighborhood worked on a car he would complain. My backyard was 4 times his so I built a large shop there. I finally got tired of the city breathing down my neck so drove around neighborhood wrote down each violation and there were many. Gave that to city and said take care of all these and then let me know. Knowing full well they would do nothing. It stopped for a long time they ended up finally told the complainer to go away and he MOVED! No more complaints... Great car that 68 RS!

I almost forgot the best part. The zoning officer kind of had it out for me because he did not get his way. He would have garbage truck guys trying to see violations and then tell him. The zoning officer would always peek over fence. Finally a fill in garbage guy felt sorry for me and told me when he picked up garbage. The next time the zoning officer came in alley I called the city manager and told him my wife (was not married at the time) was in backyard nude sunbathing and a zoning officer was a peeping tom. If it ever happened again I would call the police and file suit. Never saw the guy again! LOFLOL
That was the last time I ever had a problem at that house...

LSx_88_Ciera
05-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Don't know if it has been said already.
Put it on a car trailer and tell them to take a long walk down a short pier.
I have never seen an ordinance for what can be on a trailer.
That is how I was able to get around an ordinance.

AintQik
05-24-2010, 05:59 AM
I'm going to live in the woods and have a castle with a big ass wall and mote and .50 cals mounted on the corners and I'll make all the messes I want to with my "eye sore" firebirds and never have to deal with people ever again haha

I tried to not say anything but this whole deal just gets to me. I'm in the military and had to live in some places that had various Nazi anti-car laws and I always had real, real tough times trying to find a place that would allow me to do what I love to do. Imagine the pain I've had for the last 18 years, moving every 2 to 3 years and trying to find a "car friendly" place to live. God it just annoyed the hell out of me. I told my wife when I finally settle down I am buying 5 acres of land and mounting gun turrets on the corners Lol! We are closing on that house in a few weeks. 8 acres of forrest right smack in the middle of New Jersey, 500' driveway, can't see anything. I could work on my car in the drive way naked with a shaved goat strapped to my back and no one would know. But, it has a seperate shop in back so I'm good.

However, I really, really feel your pain. I hope the porta Garage works out. In one house I had a single car garage but I have 2 hotrods so that wasn't working. I got one of those metal carports for $700 (no walls or doors). Then I got some of the metal sheeting they use on them cheap and fully enclosed it. Put some gravel on the floor, hey it was cheap and it was the extra 2 spaces I needed. I did not get a permit, which was stupid looking back and knowing what I know now. To be honest I was naive and didn't know you had have one for that kind of thing back then. I just figured on you rland you can do what you want. Pfft yeah right! Since they are already up your butt I would try and go the legal way. You just put something up and they are going to make you tear it down and still move your car. If you grease it with the permit guy you will be free and clear. I simply can't believe how friggin harsh these permits and ordinance people are. Would you believe I can't cut down a single tree on MY OWN LAND?!? I have 8 friggin acres of dense trees in the middle of 200 acres of protected forest. So, no one will ever be next to me, but I can't build a single thing that requires me to cut anymore trees down. Luckliy I have enough clearing for everything I need, but there goes my private racetrack :) This whole subject really grinds my gears. You mean I have to pay $100 a year tax on a damn shed?!!?!?!? ARGH! now I'm all fired up. Sorry for the rant and good luck.

rjsjea
05-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Edit..

86Cutlass383SR
05-26-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm in a very simular situation. Can't have an inoperable car in the yard. We own the property. Don't have a garage or can't afford to build one. Moving isn't an option as most towns around here have the same ordinances.

So, I had it moved to a friends house 20 miles from me. I got a phone call about an hour ago that he's going to be moving and it has to be moved...again. He doesn't know where he's moving to or if he'll be able to store it for me any longer.

It's not like I've got parts scattered all over the yard. Makes me feel like a freakin criminal because I want to build a car...

wmhjr
05-27-2010, 06:30 AM
I feel the pain for all you guys. I'm sure many of the people wanting to rebuild a car would be very neat and considerate of their neighbors. I've been in the same position, and had to make decisions based on the same local zoning issues.

One thing we should do, however, is to remember the other side of the coin. Here's an example. Had a friend who owned a house as an investment property in a neighborhood. Decided he wanted out of that business. Right next door was a guy that had 2 "under construction" cars in the driveway. It wasn't a junkyard, but it also wasn't a "neat" driveway. There were a few other homes for sale in the same development. My friends house wouldn't move - even after he lowered the asking price a bit. It was priced below the other similar homes in the same area. The realtor continued to say that buyers simply didn't like the clutter of the neighbors driveway, and they were worried that based on how it looked, maybe the guy worked on the car and made noise that they just didn't want. So, the house didn't sell. Fast forward 9 months - the guy with the car projects moves. So do the cars. The listing agent has the driveway pressure washed. No other change. All of the sudden, my friend is getting lots of interest in his house, and it sells within 60 days.

Point is that there are two sides. In my friends case, he's a car guy - but his neighbor having 2 cars being built in the driveway cost him money. It lowered the value of his home. So, one persons rights infringed on another persons wallet. Some of those ordnances are there for a reason and they can't be applied subjectively.

BTW, I fought a similar one here that was around RVs and trailers so I'm not saying I support any of this. Just that I can certainly see why some of this happens.

Jim Nilsen
05-28-2010, 06:31 AM
I feel the pain for all you guys. I'm sure many of the people wanting to rebuild a car would be very neat and considerate of their neighbors. I've been in the same position, and had to make decisions based on the same local zoning issues.

One thing we should do, however, is to remember the other side of the coin. Here's an example. Had a friend who owned a house as an investment property in a neighborhood. Decided he wanted out of that business. Right next door was a guy that had 2 "under construction" cars in the driveway. It wasn't a junkyard, but it also wasn't a "neat" driveway. There were a few other homes for sale in the same development. My friends house wouldn't move - even after he lowered the asking price a bit. It was priced below the other similar homes in the same area. The realtor continued to say that buyers simply didn't like the clutter of the neighbors driveway, and they were worried that based on how it looked, maybe the guy worked on the car and made noise that they just didn't want. So, the house didn't sell. Fast forward 9 months - the guy with the car projects moves. So do the cars. The listing agent has the driveway pressure washed. No other change. All of the sudden, my friend is getting lots of interest in his house, and it sells within 60 days.

Point is that there are two sides. In my friends case, he's a car guy - but his neighbor having 2 cars being built in the driveway cost him money. It lowered the value of his home. So, one persons rights infringed on another persons wallet. Some of those ordnances are there for a reason and they can't be applied subjectively.

BTW, I fought a similar one here that was around RVs and trailers so I'm not saying I support any of this. Just that I can certainly see why some of this happens.

One more scenario that worked for me.

I drove around and saw all the cars in drives and covered up with car covers in garages along with hearing the loud bikes and was told about the fireworks and parties they have in my neighborhood. It didn't take me long to figure I fit right in. I am very glad I live where I live but many people would hate it and be constantly calling the police.

When I started my car up for the 1st time it was after 10pm and noone ever complained and a few said they were routing for me and happy to hear it run.

So drive around and look for the right neighborhood. The one your looking for won't be the cleanest or have neighbors with all new cars but you can have a nice place with no problems if you look and the plus side is that those places usually have cheaper taxes too.

Good luck finding a good place to build a car.

ModernMuseum
06-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Just took a look at this thread. In any decent neighborhood you can't re-build a car in a friggin' driveway. If you want to do that, move to the ghetto. The problem is, it's hard for laws to be defined and reinforced that segregate cars being re-built and cars that are inoperable for good. If you want to re-build a hot rod, I'd think you wouldn't want all the elements attacking it while you're trying to build it up anyway.

My take: if you want to restore a car, do it in a garage. It's the smart move anyway. If I saw someone re-building a car, I probably wouldn't call him in although it would be an eyesore for a while. A busted, broken down POS? Yeah, I'd probably call that in.

Jarcaines
06-16-2010, 12:35 PM
... well tell you what, when I'm not selling my house I want the darn property values low... it lowers my taxes. Exactly how often are you selling your house anyways?

Wow, remind me never to buy a house next door to this guy.

Jarcaines
06-16-2010, 12:45 PM
yeah that's true about the oppinions of what's acceptable and what's not, but there has to be a better way to set up the laws so that people can actually USE their property rather than just having a spotless yard all the time so that the old lady next door isn't offended.

It seems like saying "vehicles in your driveway need to be registered and operational" is a far cry from "your yard must be spotless all the time". I mean, come on.

BulldawgMusclecars
02-27-2011, 07:57 PM
My first car rebuild was done mostly in my driveway (didn't do paint and bodywork there, but just about everything else), but fortunately that was many years ago, in a small town, where people mostly minded their own business. I don't really buy the "property values" argument anymore...everyone's property value has dropped into the gutter, and some guy wrenching on his car next door isn't going to make any difference.

jfreakofkorn
05-05-2011, 05:59 PM
I know the feeling with building a car out in the yard.
I just got back from Europe and they towed my 2000 Chevy crew cab 1 ton with a 8 ft bed out of the yard.
I was like shocked to see it gone and I couldn't do a thing.
They said if it didnt in 10 days, its going to get towed to the junk yard.
Tried my best to find someone to help, but it didn't work out....
And they did that here in Jefferson Parish in Louisiana
So I feel you on that =/

twosaturns
05-10-2011, 07:45 AM
old thread, I know...
looking back at stuff me and my brothers used to do it's amazing we got away with it. we lived in suburbia, Farmingdale, Long Island. basically from the late '70s to early '90's, there was ALWAYS a broken car in our yard and/or the STREET!
I drove a clapped out '65 malibu that I swapped a 4 speed into when I was 18. did it in the street, took 3 days.
years earlier, my brother pulled a 327 out of an impala wagon, did that in the street in front of our house too.
my other brothers 71 camaro was sitting on the side of our driveway undriven for years!

I know we drove our neighbor across the street crazy; he was the type that didn't want people parking in front of his house, and he had to look at all of our projects over the years.
we NEVER had a code inspector/violation, NOTHING. never heard of anyone ever complaining or saying it was illegal.

do a google map search on 25 2nd ave zip 11735 to see the house (my family hasn't been there in 17years)

but lots of people in our neighborhood did work on their own cars, and lots of boats and RV's in the yards too. but it wasn't a 'ghetto', it was, to me, normal suburbia.

NightDiver
08-29-2011, 06:17 PM
I dont know what the whole outcome of this original situation is, but for future problems like this I would suggest an additional option that may work. If you don't have the funds to build a garage suitable to work in, but cant leave the car in the open due to city ordinances, try something a friend of mine did... put up a 5 foot stockade privacy fence (with gate) around the section of driveway you want to keep the car... This basically serves the same function as your typical fast food restaurant and how they hide their garbage bins. As an alternative, a 10x15 cement slab (such as a small patio) can also be enclosed, thereby satisfying the "vehicles cannot be stored in any unpaved areas" section of the ordinance. Some cities have rules regarding construction of buildings such as garages or sheds over 100 sq ft, but fencing is seldom regulated other than maximum height (typically 5-6 feet).

Tony_SS
08-30-2011, 05:27 AM

I find it interesting that you're arguing that your friends neighbor should be forced to clean up his car project in the driveway, yet you fight for the right to park your RV and trailer on yours.

wmhjr
08-30-2011, 05:37 AM
I find it interesting that you're arguing that your friends neighbor should be forced to clean up his car project in the driveway, yet you fight for the right to park your RV and trailer on yours.

I find it interesting that you now bring up a post from almost a year and a half ago.

I also find it interesting that you carefully disregard the statement saying that "I'm not saying I support any of this. Just that I can certainly see why some of this happens". Do I somehow need to be more clear about that? Please show me exactly where I argued that my friends neighbor should have been forced to clean up his project? I kind of missed where I said that.

MrQuick
08-30-2011, 09:25 PM
i know this is old and i'd hate to break up the another great pisn match but you can't blame them....most don't want their neighborhood to be riddled with driveways like this one....

Tony_SS
08-31-2011, 04:24 AM
I find it interesting that you now bring up a post from almost a year and a half ago.

I also find it interesting that you carefully disregard the statement saying that "I'm not saying I support any of this. Just that I can certainly see why some of this happens". Do I somehow need to be more clear about that? Please show me exactly where I argued that my friends neighbor should have been forced to clean up his project? I kind of missed where I said that.

Someone else brought this thread back.. I just happened to read it and saw your post. I did see where you said you don't support it.. Sorry if I misjudged your position, I wasn't sure if you thought it was justified or not. Anyway, old thread is old... weve been down this road in the 'other' forum... but you weren't there to partake. ;)

Vince, does my Mopar collection offend you? lolz

68camotion
01-16-2012, 08:40 PM
City ordinances seem to help keep people from making a neighborhood look like a salvage yard, but for those that would keep their work orderly and low key it hurts them.