PDA

View Full Version : Im torn before I tear into it. Opinions?

kursed56
01-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Okay, first let me say that Ive never really been one for keeping cars original, Ive always liked to do my own thing. Not sure I can bring myself to stray far from the original car.

Its a 1974 Firebird Formula 400 4bbl thats all original. Borg Warner 4-speed, hurst shifter, rally gauge package and it even has the optional functional Ram Air hood (only 1478 that year). It is solid where it counts but needs rear quarters and tail panel. Floors are like new. It will start but the throw out bearing is shot. Hasnt been plated since 83!

So my question is should I not worry about keeping it original and do my own thing or should I try and sell it, make a few bucks and look for a PT project. I do love the 74 front end and the flat back window.

Just wondering what you guys thought.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/STA70075-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/STA70043-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/STA70034-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

icebird84
01-27-2009, 12:37 PM
nice project car for PT or rebuild

brownz
01-27-2009, 12:51 PM
yep, do that one.. looks like a good start.

kursed56
01-27-2009, 12:55 PM

blackbeast
01-27-2009, 01:04 PM
If you can make some money, and purchase a more solid less rare car than do it. You'll be money ahead in the end.

If there isn't that much money to be had, I wouldn't feel bad about customizing it. I've always liked those cars, lots of style so I don't forsee any body mods.

Bolt on suspension, minitubs, rims, and an updated interior..... I see nothing wrong.

CarlC
01-27-2009, 03:08 PM
An LS engine build using a functional Ram Air hood would be very unique. Unless money is a concern, or the car has something that will make it fiscally irresponsible to repair, I'd stick with it.

406 Q-ship
01-27-2009, 03:09 PM
That would be a tough call to cut or restore........you would be cutting up a piece of rare Pontiac history but it is still one of the less desirable years. Tough call to be sure.

I would probable sell it to someone who wanted to restore it to its past glory and take the cash and find a more standard car to cut for a PT, cause if I were to PT it the first thing that would go is the Pontiac engine. If the floors were just a bit rusty then I would say cut'er up.

Mossimo777
01-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Whatever you do its only original once. Some days I wish I would have left everything except suspension / drivetrain original.

dhutton
01-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Why don't you post it on the classifieds over on performanceyears.com? Those guys seems to go crazy for these cars. At least then you will know what you can get for it.

andrewb70
01-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Why don't you post it on the classifieds over on performanceyears.com? Those guys seems to go crazy for these cars. At least then you will know what you can get for it.

Agreed. See if anyone has a solid, less rare car to trade plus cash.

Andrew

BrianP
01-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Keep it and make Rockford proud.

kursed56
01-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Dont forget about Ponch.

I may post it over on performanceyears. Seems like theres a huge range on these cars.

Im not even sure what to ask for it. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input guys. Im going to order the PHS tomorrow to see all what it has.

dlrepmn
01-29-2009, 02:02 PM
That may as well be my 1st car I bought when I was 15 except it was a 75 400 two-barrel automatic awful faded yellow but clean.

That would seem to be a much more available car that would have the same result. An Esprit would be easy to find too. You would change the interior anyway right?

Would love to still have that car, but a "lady" made it impossible. She never looked and pulled right out. Put the front clip of a '73 on it, well sorta. It fit, sorta kinda. Well I was young. Should have fixed the '73.

Not sure if it would fit, but does anyone make a repro hood you could cut up on a '75?

Having an LS with a functional Ram Air on this car is brilliant.

http://www.motorera.com/firebird/firebird74.htm

I'm not the right person to ask about cutting up rare firebirds.

Have a great day!

MonzaRacer
01-30-2009, 08:48 PM
As for me I would get a full on Street Challenge kit from Air Ride Technologies, order up some wheels like the Bandits repop cars get, build a nasty torque monster 400 Indian with a cutdown 455 crank(ie stroker) keep the compression reasonable, add on some Edelbrock heads, port FI, possibly with E85 capabilities, swap in a 5 or 6 speed and upgrade to the biggest brakes that will squeeze in the wheel.
And have fun.
ya dont need to cut it, or loose all the good parts just make it yours. I love that color for some reason, maybe even have someone update (ie modernize) the graphics a little and make the interior sweet and simple and down to the point.

T_Raven
01-30-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm a die hard Firebird guy, but I'm not all that into "chalk mark" restorations. I do appreciate the nostalgia of original looking old cars but the reality is that they were crappy cars by todays standards and who wants to drive 40 year old technology?

I'd say at least try to see if you can get a good amount out of the formula. If you do then find a base model and modify that one. If you like the looks of the formula you can easily get a Formula hood and throw it on a base model.

T_Raven
01-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Man.....I just looked at the pictures again. I love the rust on the wheels and the quarter. I don't know why but I just love worn out old cars. Maybe it's like how girls love to be with A-holes because subconsciously the feel a need to fix them. My nurturing side gets all emotional for cars that need some TLC lol.

venturabeachpup
01-31-2009, 11:38 AM
There's a lot of bolt-ons you can do without hurting the car. Besides, what's to say the next guy wont cut it up? If the issue is "the money" then do what you have to. You have the rite car. Follow your heart. Build it like YOU want it. Life is too short and when you're gone nobody will give a poop anyway!! Stop fighting yourself... you'll never win! LOL:enguard:

68Formula
01-31-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm agreement with a couple others here. Take advantage of it's rarity by selling it and find a lesser variant, but more solid, to start with. You'll be way ahead in the long run. You can always make a pro-touring "copy" version of what that one would have been, for much less money. And maybe the new owner will restore that to it's original glory. And if they don't... well you're still ahead.

icebird84
01-31-2009, 01:50 PM
or you can tell the classic and collector clubs people
ssC77hapv0g
it is your Formula 400 and if you want to put in it Ls7 455 ,t56, Suspension and Brakes from Z06 IT IS YOUR CAR

sorry guys I´m devil advocate :)

b-man
01-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Sell your rusty Formula to a restorer and take the cash and buy a solid 'plain-jane' Firebird Espirit to start your project with.

You'll have $$$ left over to get further ahead on your project.

Rust repair is very expensive if you can't do it yourself. That in itself is the decision-maker in my eyes, finding a rust-free car to start with is imperative. When you see rust like that in the rear quarters the rear framerails are sure to be shot as well, $$$$$.

The '70 -'75 Formula hoods look really nice but they're heavier than a steel hood. Most of them are warped and almost impossible to repair correctly, something you'll probably find out if you keep the car and try to get it in paint.

Bjkadron
01-31-2009, 04:48 PM
I'd see if you can get a nice price for it first like the other people suggested. A base model of the same car would be cheaper and you wouldn't have to worry about cutting it up! one of these years would be a really cool project! I also want to mention that you don't have to cut a car up for it to be pro-touring. I would build it up with almost no body mods some nice bolt on suspension. a torque focused build on the engine. a 5- or 6- speed. some big brakes and nice wheels. and a even a mostly stock interior. That would be awesome!

kursed56
02-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys for the ideas and thoughts.

I may just put it up for sale and see what happens. Ive ordered the PHS paper work and Ill just let it sit in the garage for a little while until I decide. I need to finish up a motorcycle project anyways before I can start on a car.

Thanks again

Nicks67GTO
02-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Screw it man. I know pontiac guys are all into "original pontiac" stuff but in reality who cares? Its a car. The over inflated prices of musclecars have got everyone scared to swap in a motor that isnt original. As long as you dont hack up the shell you could allways change it back should you want to sell it. I just got my hands on a real 67' GTO H.O. car and i have no intentions of putting the original automatic or the 400 in it. Ill have them on hand and im not going to cut the car up, not one bit because its worth a pile of cash. It may end up with a LS motor and a 5 speed, 17" wheels with big brakes and all the suspension goodies. Who knows, i do know that for some reason its a HUGE pontiac sin to put somthing in a GTO that wasnt original. I say who cares, build your firebird and enjoy, if anyone gives you flack tell them to worry about their own car.

T_Raven
02-08-2009, 01:33 AM
^^I think most of has have been agreeing with the above, but financially speaking it's smart to at least see if he can get a good price out of it. Then find you a solid base model, find a running 400 or 455 for $600 if that's what you want and be way ahead.