PDA

View Full Version : The kids want a dog...and I need advice. Calling all doggy people.

trapin
01-26-2009, 07:46 PM
My wife and I have been trying to dodge this bullet for 3 years but they've really been turning up the heat recently. We've come to the decision that we've put it off too long. So we're looking to get one in the Spring. We've nailed it down to three dogs....

1.) Yellow Lab
2.) Golden Retriever
3.) Beagle

My wife and I are pretty much settled on a Yellow Lab because they're easy to train and are decent at gaurding the home and alerting the family to strangers (although not as good as a Shep or Rot which we are NOT getting). I grew up with little dogs when I was a kid and I don't care to have another. I always wanted a big dog and damn it...this is my chance.

The kids have been debating over the three dogs and Beagle keeps coming up. But I hear those are hard to train and stubborn when trying to get them off a scent or get their attention. And although I know Lab's shed, I just have this feeling that the Retriever's shedding will be harder to deal with. Plus they are not as mindful of the home as a Lab is (too friendly) and I keep hearing that they have a boatload of potential medical issues like hip dysplasia.

So what do you guys think? I know there are a lot of dog people here. Anyone own one of those three dogs? Any do's and don'ts I should know about? Further input?

Thanks. As always I appreciate it.

Mkelcy
01-26-2009, 07:51 PM
My nephew had a beagle I nicknamed "Vishnu the Destroyer." I'd get the yellow lab and never look back.

If you get a puppy, crate train. With kids, I'd try to get an older dog/rescue.

Steve1968LS2
01-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Whippet

lol.. sorry.. I couldn't help it..

Whippets don't shed.. and they don't bark much.. and they aren't overbred..

Shedding is a pain so I say Beagle... and any dog can be trained if you put in the effort.

Taylor1969
01-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Those dogs are going to SHED like crazy. The beagle's I have been around around have always been really annoying - baying and barking all the time.

Look into the following:

Giant Schnauzer
Labradoodle

KevMc
01-26-2009, 08:07 PM
You're going to get a million opinions, so here's mine. Go to the local shelter and rescue a dog. I think your kids and the dog will appreciate the companionship that much more. Yeah I'm biased, we have three adopted dogs that were abandoned pups.

JMarsa
01-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Tony,

I encourage you to go to the pound and see what they got. Take the kids and see what kind of dogs they like. I've got a Beagle and he's great, but has some of the characteristics you mentioned. I really hate what has happened to some of the breeds. Got a family member with a cocker spaniel and it has more wrong with it than right. Training is the key though.

--JMarsa

WS6
01-26-2009, 08:10 PM
labradoodle and goldendoodles are great. Tony, your kids are young right? if so, do not get a Golden Retriever. They are at the top of the people bite list. It's not a numbers thing either. Goldens can just be thin skinned around kids. Kids are rough. I'd say Yellow Lab but you must train a lab. They have huge energy and you'll have to control them or they will get into everything. Good thing is they are easy to train. Labradoodle and Goldendoodles are basically hypoallergenic versions of Labs and Goldens. Yeah, they look different but they are great.

I third what's been said about going to the pound or local dog rescue places. No sense in spending hundreds or a thousand plus on a dog when you can get the same thing for free almost from a rescue.

dstryr
01-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Do not get a beagle.....they are cool dogs and all but their whine makes you want to cut your ears off....so annoying. What about a Boxer? Short haired active dog.

JV69z/28
01-26-2009, 08:18 PM
I don't think you could go wrong with the Lab or Golden but would pass on the Beagle. As I'm sure you are very well aware all pure breeds have potential health risks. If you are going this route the best advice I can give is to find the right breeder. That may not be that easy. I will say this any good breeder will interview YOU to see if you are worthy to raise one of their dogs. If the breeder doesn't do that then you might think twice about whether or not you want to do business with that breeder. You want to see where the dogs live. How they are treated. Are they members of the family or are they money producers. Picking out a puppy is a VERY emotional descision. That's when good judgement goes out the window. A good breeder will pick out the puppy that is best suited for your family. It short don't rush out to pick out what looks like the cutest puppy. Do your homework and take your time deciding who you want to do business with. Make no mistake at the prices for good dogs these days this is a business descision. Then on top of all that you still have a little luck in what you end up with or should we say fate.
PS - I have 2 Shar-pei. The are both from the same breeder from 2 different blood lines. They could not have more different personalities. Don't get me wrong they share some of the same breed qualities but that's where it stops. They are very typical Shar-pei in appearence but their body types are different. Their builds are different. Their idea of their "jobs" are different. What I'm getting at is no 2 dogs are the same (dare I say they are like people) while they have similar traits they are each unique in their own way.
Good Luck!

JV69z/28
01-26-2009, 08:27 PM
You know after 1st reading your post I came away thinking you had made up your mind and wanted a pure bread. You can try breed rescue also. I'm sure there is Lab rescue. These are dogs that for one reason or another (mostly due to there human) lost their home. They are forstered by a volunteer and in most cases that volunteer knows the dog inside and out. Many are very young. One of them will thank you every day for giving it a second chance. Ask me how I know.

shmoov69
01-26-2009, 08:32 PM
If you are going to buy one, my first pick would be a Lab. Get a runt of the litter, or the smaller breed ones. That way you don't have a twenty pound tail knocking you and everything else in the house down! They do chew and dig as puppies tho, so be prepared! I've had a yellow lab that was still SUPER active at 15 years old when she got hit by a car and splattered. I have a black one now that is about 4 along with a "bassador non-retrevier"............the neighbors had a full blooded lab and a full blooded basset, daddy was a basset.........figure that one out!! LOL!

eville
01-26-2009, 08:36 PM
I have always had labs. Love them to death, but be ready to lose your landscaping and anything else you care about in the back yard for the first two years. Hoses, lawn furniture, your lawn, plants, shrubs, rose bushes, etc.
They will destroy what they can.

Great dogs though.

Gordz32
01-26-2009, 08:44 PM
My vote is for the Golden but I'm biased. I'd shy away from the beagles as they can sometimes be difficult. As for health problems...Any large dog has the potential for hip problems. My Dog started with it about 6 years ago. Solution, keep there weight in check and give him a glucosemine pill every morning with breakfast. The shedding can be an issue but its not bad if you brush them everyday to get rif of the hair. It only takes a couple minutes. I personally have never heard of any golden biting anyone. I think it all depends on the dogs history and bloodline. Labs are great too, tend to be a bit larger than the goldens. Great dog, basically a shorthaired golden. But honestly-Jump online and check out your local pound. They'll usually have a list with pics of dogs that they have. I think theres something about rescue dogs that leads them to be wonderful pets. My dogs turning 12 this year and I'm not sure how much longer he's gonna be around. Here's a pic

parsonsj
01-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Rescue.

Find the local Pet Center and get the information about rescuing a dog.

We got our puppy in August. She came home weighing less than 8 lbs. She's now 39 lbs, tan and white with a purple tongue, and that's all I can tell you about her breed. A beautiful animal, and now part of the family.

Once you get it, ask Andrew Borodin about proper dog food.

Good luck!

jp

wedgehead
01-26-2009, 10:10 PM
My family has three golden retrievers. One is about 13 yrs old and the other two are 2 years old. the older dog has been with us for the birth of all of my kids without a bite or anything close. She has let them ride her and anything else they could think of with never a bite or anything. They do dig and chew when young but they are the most fun and loving dogs I have ever been around. They oldest dog is getting around quite abit more slowly these days but will still play fetch til she can't walk anymore.

Steve1968LS2
01-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Either a rescue or a breeder that has extras from trying to breed show dogs.

Just NOT NOT a pet store.

class67
01-26-2009, 10:29 PM
LAB!!!

I have had two labs, a black one as a kid and now I have a yellow. They have the best temperment and are extremely loyal, gentle and great with kids. They do have a puppy stage that lasts about 2 years and they do like to chew but I've never had anything destroyed and most of all, neither of the labs I've had have been diggers....a big plus, lol.

I'm a Lab person for life, next one will be a chocolate.

icebird84
01-26-2009, 10:35 PM
3 movies dog and 3 hard chooses good luck to you
A.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
B.
or C.

BMF Machine
01-27-2009, 12:32 AM
My kids are 2 and 5, my mother and father in laws yellow lab is a bit too agressive.IMO When I was very young we had two golden retrievers; my brother and I used to ride them like horses, they were great with kids!

Munster
01-27-2009, 01:24 AM
I know its not on your list but....if you are willing to to go Beagle sized I'd go with a miniature Schnauzer. Not a real small dog but medium sized really. Very smart, non shedding, very loyal, good at acknoledging any intruders. Great with kids. We have been a very dog freindly family and have had lots and lots of dogs in the 20 plus years of kids growing up. The Schnauzer has been by far the best. Just don't rule them out till you check em out. We have had many and the females are usually the more docille.(sp)

CamaroB
01-27-2009, 03:41 AM
My kids are 2 and 5, my mother and father in laws yellow lab is a bit too agressive.IMO When I was very young we had two golden retrievers; my brother and I used to ride them like horses, they were great with kids!

So are mine (ones a purebred and the other is mixed). Have you ever thought about getting a Doberman? I grew up with one and it was the kindest dog I've ever had, very loyal and protective around kids.

Steve68
01-27-2009, 04:05 AM
Lab, have 2 right now 9 yr old and a 11 month old,

Crate train and be prepared for the hair, but there both great dogs, friendly, loving, I've had/been around Labs since I was about 9,

dhutton
01-27-2009, 04:20 AM
Your neighbors are going to hate you if you get a beagle. The baying and barking will drive them (and you) crazy. I grew up with Labs and they can get aggressive/territorial as they age. We had a couple of bite incidents. That was many years ago, no doubt we would be sued if if happened today. They will also destroy your backyard.

Another vote for a rescue dog. We have a collie mix and a welsh corgie, both rescue dogs.

DB Z28
01-27-2009, 04:20 AM
Get a Golden retriever, mine is 11 years old and still is flawless never runs away ,just loves kids we plan on getting another golden soon or a golden doodle by spring

BMF Machine
01-27-2009, 05:33 AM
A friend of mine just got a Dashund(HoT DoG). I lost two of my four Min PinS last year due to old age. My other two are a year behind them. It was very depressing to lose two, of my four, best friends. I found a new love with this Dashund. It is the friendliest, smartest, most playful little dog I have ever seen. Plus if a stranger is near He will bark, not overkill, he. BarkS until you look out and tell him it's OK.After a couple weeks of stopping by, he stopped barking at me, he just wags his tail and waits for KadO to let me in. His name is Charlie, but my two year old calls him George; because he looks like HundlY from the Curious GeorgE movies. Now he will only recognize you if you call him GeorgE...lolol I know it was not in your choices, but I swear they are the one of the best BreedS out there.

ResT in PeacE.... Mr. Jake and Daisy:angel::angel: GoD needeD two more best FriendS, and now he has them.

72nova
01-27-2009, 06:16 AM
I have 2 labs, 1 black 1 yellow. The best dogs ever. They do shed but it's worth it because they are so friendly and good. If someone visits they are well behaved. I rescued both of mine and crate trained them with no problems. Neither dog has chewed up anything like couch or shoes. I guess we got lucky. Also if you dont have a fenced yard get the invisable fence. Go to home depot and do it yourself for a 1/3 of the cost to have it done. I had a beagle when I was a kid and it barked so much my mom got rid of it.

trapin
01-27-2009, 06:36 AM
Thanks for all the great input everyone. I really appreciate it. I knew I would get some good stuff from this site because I remember Steve Rupp's thread about his dog being put down and was amazed at how many people jumped in there. Looking more and more like it's going to be a Lab. Which is good. I do have one question though....what is "crate training"?

Cometose
01-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Whatever you end up getting, get a book on the breed to familiarize yourself with the characteristics and watch the Dog Whisperer(Natl Geographic Ch)! I don't watch much TV but when we got a pup we started watching the show and learned a lot of good basic info about dog behavior and how the owner's behavior over time can create dog "issues". Helped us a lot!! Be calm and assertive:)

BTW we adopted from the SPCA, a Jack Russell/mini Pinscher/Chihuahua(??!)mutt. They told us to expect him to be 14 lbs...he's 35+ at almost 3 yrs and all muscle.

JEFFTATE
01-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Tony ,
My dog is a Golden Retriever / Australian Shepherd mix.
He acts just like a Golden , but is the colors of an Aussie.
He's great.
Best dog I ever had.
He was an abandoned stray and I brought him home.
Somebody had dumped his litter on a dead-end gravel road.
Yes , he does shed ( A LOT )
But , the hair is clean. I don't mind it. He's my Baby.
Anyway , I would pick a Rescued Golden Retriever if it was me.
They are so well behaved and smart.
You'll never have problem.

JohnnyGMachine
01-27-2009, 07:41 AM
WS6, Not sure where you got Goldens being on the top of the "BITE LIST"??? Never heard of that. Goldens are named one of the most popular family dogs of all time. I know many people that have kids that have Goldens and they are phenominal around children. They are very eager to please their master, and one of the easiest dogs to train.
We also recently bought a Golden Retriever about 7 months ago at the age of 14 weeks old, a pure bred from a known local breeder. They had both the mother and father Goldens on hand which was a plus so I could see what the dogs were like. The females will be smaller in size averaging around 65-75 lbs. Males can get up to 100 lbs!
Copper has been a blessing to the family, she's definately a big part of the family. She's great with our 8 year old daughter who is the only one that gets a face licked on command. Copper has a specail bond with each of us. You will need to spend a lot of time with a dog, training is VERY important. The more time you spend with the dog, the better they will learn and listen. Copper hasn't chewed on anything other than her toys and an occassional sock (darn it!) that I accidentally left on the floor LOL! She's been the absolute best pet experience I've ever had. Super smart dog, almost human.

Best advice I can give when getting a new dog, just pretend it's like raising a new child. It's very much the same.

Any questions, PM me.

Here's pics from the last few months...

13 weeks old
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/Copper5-1.jpg

On the trip home next to me...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/Copper4-1.jpg

Me and Copper on the floor...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/CopperandDaddy-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/NewCollar-1.jpg

Copper and her customized pillow...about 11 months old here at 62 lbs.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/YummyPillow-1.jpg

Here's me and Copper graduating the training class at Pet Smart
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/MeandCopper-1.jpg

John

Steve Firebird
01-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Raise the dog with love and respect, train it when is young and ANY dog can be a joy. My nephew has a black lab and its a great dog. We have a border collie / beagle from the pound as a puppy and its a very smart tough dog thats a nice size for kids and freaking LOVES everyone and every one loves her.

thedugan
01-27-2009, 08:01 AM
get any dog you want. and then hire.....

blackbeast
01-27-2009, 08:02 AM
My vote is a rescue dog too. Most will be great animals, will already be spayed / neutered, and be current on shots. In my experience they make greats pets, they seems to "know" that you rescued it.

Your local petco / petsmart will probably also have rescue events.

If you really want to have a specific kind of dog, lab or whatever you can also search online for rescue groups that handle just those dogs. It may cost you a bit of money (certainly cheaper than from a breeder), but you will get the satisfaction of saving a dog.

01-27-2009, 08:03 AM
11-y.o. Golden following a 15-y.o. lab......great dogs, no bites - just smart & friendly.

Good luck.

BTW, a lot of great dogs are @ the pound.

D

blackbeast
01-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Couple of links if you want to consider adoption:

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/secondchancelabrescue.html

http://labs4rescue.com/index.shtml

http://www.grrow.org/

http://www.beagles-on-the-web.com/adopt/

andrewb70
01-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Rescue.

Find the local Pet Center and get the information about rescuing a dog.

We got our puppy in August. She came home weighing less than 8 lbs. She's now 39 lbs, tan and white with a purple tongue, and that's all I can tell you about her breed. A beautiful animal, and now part of the family.

Once you get it, ask Andrew Borodin about proper dog food.

Good luck!

jp

Tony,

I really like John's idea of getting a dog from the shelter. There are so many beautiful animals that are just being discarded like trash and it just breaks my heart. While the idea of a pure bred might sound great, the gene diversity of a mutt generally offers more robust health, without some of the issues that certain breed exhibit.

I also strongly suggest getting a dog with a temperament that fits your lifestyle. The size of the dog is also important. When you have a family with 3 kids all of a sudden adding an 80 pound dog to the mix can get rather interesting. A big dog will also need a ton of exercise to stay in good health. Let's face it, while it is the kids that are driving your decision, in the end you know exactly who's dog this will be. YOURS! Kids loose attention faster than a dude in a hot rod shop or a strip club.

I would stay with a smaller dog. Under 40 pounds. With a good nature and a friendly demeanor. As for food, I have found nothing better than making my food at home. I use a mix from a company called Sojourner's Farm (http://www.sojos.com). Basically it is a mix of grain and dried vegetables that you mix with raw meat. I use ground chicken or turkey. It's inexpensive and simple. Before the 1950s there was no such thing as "dog food." In the evolving world of factory farming the meat industry wanted to maximize profits. The concept of "rendered protein" make to be. God only knows what that crap is, but I am not giving any of it to my best buddy. Making fresh food also makes him immune to all the recent recalls of dog food and might spare your companions life. Fresh dog food also completely eliminates doggy breath. The last time I had Toby at the Vet, he asked me how often I brush his teeth. He about fell over when I told him "never." I don't ever recall a wolf taking time after eating a deer to brush his teeth. LOL

Good luck!

Andrew

P.S. For reference, my Toby is just under 30 pounds.

JayR
01-27-2009, 08:25 AM
You're going to get a million opinions, so here's mine. Go to the local shelter and rescue a dog. I think your kids and the dog will appreciate the companionship that much more. Yeah I'm biased, we have three adopted dogs that were abandoned pups.

X2!! Best advice because you are saving a dog and they know it. Ours are so damn grateful they would lick your face off even 5 years later and you don't have to worry about all the inbreeding that makes some purebreds irritable, retarded, and prone to serious expensive and heart wrenching health problems. I know people with popular purebred little dogs like labradoodles and those dumb little ones with the smashed in noses and they are obnoxious, ill-tempered and stupid! I'm biased but if it isn't over 20 pounds, just get a cat because they won't bark every time a leaf blows down the street.

Our dogs actually came from non-profit no-kill shelters where the dogs are treated really well before they're adopted.

Make sure you have time for an active young breed and you owe it to that dog to walk it and play with it and if that isn't in the cards, get an older dog that is grateful to chill on a pillow.

Check these sweet little mutts out! They did this all day long and were grateful for the opportunity.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/Snowdogs-1.jpg

John's dog looks like one of the really good ones! Beautiful dog, John!

hdesign
01-27-2009, 08:51 AM
I've had dogs (mostly purebred) my whole life. My father owned/showed a champion Akita back in the 70s and since then we've had 2 more Akitas, (2) cocka-poos (Cocker spaniel/poodle), A Rottie/Shepard mix, (2) Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and my wife and I got a Golden back in 04 before my daughter was born.

There are so many things to consider when getting a dog that most people don't think of. Too many people grab a dog because it "looks cool" and that can result in a nightmare.

You really can't go wrong with a Lab or Golden and that's why they're so popular. They have a ton of energy until their later years so be ready for exercise and obedience training, trust me. Females can get very needy and overly affectionate but I cannot think of a better breed for small kids. Labs are more hyper than goldens. Sheding is absolutely insane by the way!! I brush Hailey 2-3 times per week and we're constantly vac'ing.

Beagles have great personalities but the howling can get annoying REALLY FAST.

If you really want to go with a pure bred dog, PLEASE PLEASE don't buy one from a pet shop, they are complete junk and come from puppy mills where living conditions are awful. Go to the www.AKC.org (http://www.AKC.org) website for a "Puppy Referral" of reputable breeders. Backyard (hobby) breeders have the best of intentions but often use subpar breeding stock with inherent health problems. And with Goldens/Labs you have to worry about dysplastic hips, bad elbows, eye and ear problems and the #1 killer, cancer. Make sure the puppies are health certified for as much of that as possible or you'll have a nightmare with vet bills.

There are now over 150 registered breeds with the AKC and there are more "designer" (mongrel/mixes) popping up all the time. The problem with pure bred dogs is locking in inherent health issues, they're at some degree inbred, that's why there's a standarxized look and temperment for each breed. Please Google "Pedigree dogs exposed", an hour long BBC documentary covering the problems with purebred dogs. It's worth the watch.

Here's Hailey:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/haileydec08a_1-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/haileydec08_1-1.jpg

JMarsa
01-27-2009, 09:26 AM
You also have to take into consideration the dogs instinctive traits that were bred into it. For example, my beagle was made to find things with his nose and boy does he! He's all about food and game. Working dogs are more sight oriented.

And crate training is when you teach the dog (usually from a pup) to either sleep or rest in a dog crate. It's their "inside dog house" that's "theirs" and is taught to be a comfortable place that they enjoy, rather than locked-up. It helps by reducing the time to house training and can help keep them off the furniture.

--JMarsa

6'9"Witha69
01-27-2009, 09:57 AM
And crate training is when you teach the dog (usually from a pup) to either sleep or rest in a dog crate. It's their "inside dog house" that's "theirs" and is taught to be a comfortable place that they enjoy, rather than locked-up. It helps by reducing the time to house training and can help keep them off the furniture.
Yes. Dogs have an instinct to 'den'. By providing this you provide them an area where they always feel tucked away and safe. A place the kids can't get at them and they can have their chew toys or take a nap in peace.

parsonsj
01-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Right. Our dog is crate-trained. Every night (and sometimes during the day) she puts herself to bed.

She's easier than my human children.

jp

Steve Firebird
01-27-2009, 10:16 AM
One more comment about the dog we got from the pound/ humane soc. It was for my sons 6th birthday. Juile and I went with out Clayton and looked at what was available. We picked one out that we thought would be a nice dog. We took Clayton back the next day and he went right to the cage were Lucky was and she ran right up to him and it was love at first site for them both. Lucky was the dog we had picked out the day before. Funny how things work out!

Young Gun
01-27-2009, 10:38 AM
I have two black labs, we got the first one when I was about 6 and never had a problem... I love labs so im gonna have to go with Lab

Vegas69
01-27-2009, 11:37 AM
I've had two female Labs. I currently have a 5 year old yellow lab. My first was a hunting dog back home. Both awesome dogs. We took my current yellow to Petsmart and had her potty trained pretty quick. I'd describe her as nearly human. We go on vacation for a week and leave her in the house roaming free. My girlfriends dad comes over twice a day to feed her. Never a mess or one thing moved out of place. We also crate trained her as a puppy. While she was being trained to not chew and so on we would put here in the pet porter while we were gone. It was and still is her punishment spot when shes bad which is rare. She snores like a horse and sheds certain times of the year. She also likes to be around you. I have her trained so well she stays in the front yard with no fence while I work on the car. Dogs can walk by on the othersie and she won't leave the yard. She will only bark when she should. Some are prone to allergies which she does have. I bought her local from a guy with a male and female at his house. AKC
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/IMG_0741-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/1212105_IMG-1.jpg

Steve Chryssos
01-27-2009, 12:11 PM
I love doggies. All dogs. But I set some rules before selecting our current dog.

No Shedding: Last dog was a Dalmation. It had spear like hair that not only sheds, but digs its way into cloth furniture and cannot be vacuumed. Had to be removed with duct tape. Drove me nuts.

Big Dog Big, Poop: By limiting dog size to 50 lbs, poop volume came in line.

No Rescues: I know that sux. But after three rescues, we had enough. The last dog was so messed up--diagnosed pscitsophrenic--that the dog had to be put down in my arms. The doc was so scared of this dog, I had to hold him. I want my family to be the only source of training.

Monks Make Good Trainers: Buy one or more books by the Monks of New Skete. Do it long before you pick up a dog.

http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/

bwhinnen
01-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I grew up with German Shepards, great dogs, very loyal, but too much in-breeding within the breed now. You will find most (reputable) breeders will refund or replace a dog that gets diagnosed with hip problems as well.

We currently own three dogs, a border collie, jack russell / maltese cross (she picked up the barking trait from the jack russell unfortunately) and a jack russell / mini foxie cross (adoption from the pound), he picked up the escapism trait from the jack russell...

The border collie is great with kids, she loves our son, even though she's been with us for about 7 years (son is 3.5). She is also a bundle of energy as you would expect from a working dog. Heavy maintenance with hair though.

The jack / mini foxie cross is a people dog, although he doesn't really like kids too much. Just likes to be close to people, he is about 8. Still loves to escape as often as possible, just to go and meet new people, he loves people, although he tends to end up at the same house in the neighbourhood these days.

The jack / maltese is just a handful. She barks, a leaf falls, she barks, a wallaby runs through the bush at the back, she barks, the clouds move, she barks. The problem is that it is hard to tell her off for barking when we aren't there, but I do when we are there. The other dogs learnt early that if we are home and we are awake that one bark is enough, the same at night, they bark until we come out. Not this one though, but that is a jack russell trait.

Our next door neighbour has 2 labs, one is about 16 and the other about 3. Great dogs, friendly when you know them, intimidating when you don't. But boy oh boy can they bark up a storm when no one is home and they feel someone is encroaching on their turf. The younger lab is great with kids though, my son adores him and plays with him whenever he is over there. For a big dog they are exceptional with kids, much better than the German Shepards we owned were, they were a bit stand-offish of other kids, even ones that were over all the time.

The other dog that is great with kids and people and also very loyal is the Australian Cattle Dog (blue or red heeler), another working dog so they can get bored and destructive if they aren't walked at least every other day. But they are a great dog, loyal, friendly, playful and fearless.

If you are going to adopt from the pound, I'd suggest you really look at the history of the dog, if it is a pup better, if it is more mature really find out how it was treated. Specially with your kids about, some people can be just downright cruel to animals, and they remember...

Rag-Rat
01-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Got my dog from the local Humane Society. The way she came to the fence and greeted me was what made me adopt her. Don't pick a dog just by breed, mutts are great. I've had her 5 great years. She only cost $60. By the way she is a Rott/Shephard mix and people compliment me on how gentle she is. Save a dog, adopt/rescue.

77thor
01-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Get a lab.... they're great with kids. Easy to train.

JohnnyGMachine
01-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Yeah, crate training is a must. Unless you like your stuff chewed up or the chance of them going potty on the floor when they are young. When we start putting our coats on the dog goes right in the crate all by herself at only 11 months old. If she's crowding the door when I'm going to let her out I say "excuse me" and she backs right up and waits. Gotta spend the time with 'em no matter what ya choose but man it is really rewarding.
Good luck to you in whatever you choose and like Steve said above - train 'em while they;re young. Atleast go to a beginners training course. Cost about $100 at Pet Smart and you go once a week for about 8 weeks.Worth every penny, I learned a lot.

teamplex65
01-27-2009, 04:35 PM
I love our beagle to death but she is a stubborn one. She listens great to me but the thought of taking her for walks or even outside without a leash is not considered. She may stick around for awhile but the second she gets a scent or sees another dog she is gone. Beagles need alot of exercise to stay happy. Our doesnt bark much unless she sees another dog walk by our place and she is inside, she just wants to play. Like I said, I love her to death but I envy the Lab owners who walk the block without a leash and let them roam the yard while the work outside.

lt1chevelle
01-27-2009, 04:50 PM
we have 2 black labs one 9years old and the other 9 months old both F. the 9 year old follows my dad around everywhere and she is very protective of the house and the family. the 9month old is a hunter in traning. labs are very smart and very good with little kids so i vote for lab!
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/Picture022-2.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/Picture028-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/Picture024-2.jpg

XLexusTech
01-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Love dogs: Train dogs: Rescue dogs (a few a year) so I have two thoughts. Get a dog from a reputable rescue:
Secondly if avial get somthing with Lab in it: like this one
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2564715030102100986DklPHw

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2163344350102100986IVmHOr

and BTW Beagle's howl like hell...

Tony_SS
01-27-2009, 06:25 PM
One thing about dogs... I never understood why people choose to get them and leave them at home all day by themselves while the owner(s) are off to work... I know its not a perfect world, but no dog IMO deserves to be ignored all day.

Having said that, I know you said NOT a Rottweiler, but in my experience, they are the most gentle creatures ever. Very playful, loving, protective, but NOT aggressive. I'd suggest more research on the breed and possibly reconsidering. If we ever get another dog, it will be a Rottweiler that's an extra one breed for show. I would trust bringing in an 8-10 week old puppy and raising it around my 2 youngsters.

x2 on No Rescue. Sucks.. but chances are you might get a problem to solve which might not be best suited with the kids.

tones2SS
01-27-2009, 06:59 PM
I know its not on your list but....if you are willing to to go Beagle sized I'd go with a miniature Schnauzer. Not a real small dog but medium sized really. Very smart, non shedding, very loyal, good at acknoledging any intruders. Great with kids. We have been a very dog freindly family and have had lots and lots of dogs in the 20 plus years of kids growing up. The Schnauzer has been by far the best. Just don't rule them out till you check em out. We have had many and the females are usually the more docille.(sp)

I am a BIG dog fan. LOVE' EM!!!
I have a mini Schnauzer as well. Actually, my 2nd one. VERY smart dogs and very easy to train and very loyal. Good watch dog and loves kids. AND, they do not shed at all.
I grew up with German Shepherds & my parents used to breed them when I was younger. In my opinion, you cannot get a better all around dog than a German Shepherd. They will protect your home, family and be a loyal, lovable pet. I will get one hopefully soon.
Good luck and let us know what you come up with!!!

trapin
01-27-2009, 07:01 PM
First off, thanks again for the fantastic advice everyone. We ought to make this a sticky in here, even though it has nothing to do with cars. LOL!!

OK…here is the latest development.

Today on my lunch I called around to a number of Lab breeders here in Michigan. I got a list from the Huron River Labrador retriever Club http://www.huronriverlrc.com/ which is the only one of its kind here in Michigan. They have very strict guidelines for membership so these are supposedly the best ones in the state. The one that impressed me the most was a place called Honadore Labradors http://www.honadorelabradors.com/ They are located only a stones throw from me in St. Clair Shores. I spoke with a Kathy Wiecha who is the owner (and also happens to be the secretary for the HRLRC) and she told me she has been breeding Labrador Retrievers since 1978 (31 years). This lady had a wealth of knowledge on the Labrador Retriever that was beyond comprehension. She threw out so much technical jargon, I could tell she really knew her sh*t when it came to these dogs. She was also very eager to talk with me and help me out and spent a good 45 minutes on the phone with me. I really got a good vibe listening to her. She said she is expecting a litter in the beginning of May and we talked about price. $900. Wow. But these dogs have an impeccable bloodline that she guards with her life (her words). When I kinda bulked at the price she threw out this little offer that I wanted to run by you guys to see what you think. 6 months ago a fellow breeder had a litter of puppies that her male dog was the stud for. She got the pick of the litter and selected a yellow female with the intentions of showing the dog and breeding it. However, at about 4 months the dog was playing in the back yard and somehow fractured its hind leg. The dog required surgery to reset the leg and she went ahead and paid for it in hopes of saving the dogs show/breeding career. When it was finally healed up enough a local judge came out to examine the dog and told her that it was never going to have any kind of show career because as a result of the fracture the dog has a very slight gimp in it’s step that probably you or I couldn’t detect but a trained judge would spot immediately. She is 6 months old, has had all her shots, thorough examinations, and was given a clean bill of health with the doc saying he sees no evidence of any future health concerns down the road. She offered the dog to me free of charge pending a standard interview of me and my wife. She invited me to come out and visit with the dog this weekend. She says the dog is full of energy and is already sprinting around in the yard like new again. It is also potty trained. She says that if I decide to take it she would be happy to pay for a complete examination of the dog if I chose to do so.

What do you guys think? I mean…technically I would be rescuing a dog (although not from certain death). But man….free vs. $900 and its only 6 months old. The wife and kids seem to be all for it. I also think a person who has been in the business for 31 years and sits on the board of a reputable dog club wouldn't purposely send me off with a dog that she knows I'm going to have all kinds of problems with. Why would someone in her position risk her reputation?

Thoughts?

6'9"Witha69
01-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Sounds like a hell of a deal Tony.

jjump59
01-27-2009, 08:00 PM
I had a simular deal on a Mastiff. Breader couldn't sell her with a bad leg and it seemed like he didn't want her around for prospective buyers of the other pups. He was planning on putting her to sleep but said we could have her. I took her to my vet, he looked her over and gave us a couple of options to fix the leg. Six weeks later shes running around like nothing was ever wrong. Now two years later she is one of the best dogs we've ever had. I say go for it!

jh96ss
01-27-2009, 08:08 PM
get'em a pit bull very good dogs nothing like an 80lbs lap dog with a whip for a tail

JV69z/28
01-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Well let me say this. As I said I have two Shar-pei. The 2nd Shar-pei was a breeder's dog also. She was suppose to be a show dog but she didn't have the personality. That was decided after about 6+ months of extensive training. My other (the one I had 1st) was a Christmas gift for my daughter from Santa. She was only 5 weeks old when Santa bought her to us on Christmas Eve (too young but it was Christmas) so she had to go back to her mother and get a little bit bigger before she could stay with us for good. When we took the puppy back to her Mom after Christmas the breeder said "you can't go home without a dog for your daughter". "Take Annie home till Kiara is ready to go." Well that was 7+ years ago. Annie has been with us ever since. She cost a litter of puppies. I didn't pay for her she was bread by the breeder and the breeder did all the work. All we had to do was bring her back when she was in season and return her just before she gave birth. After she welped the pups she was home for good. I don't have to tell you this dog thanks me every morning for giving her "a second chance". Everyday for for the last 7+ years starts with a morning kiss. That's more than I get from any other member of the family. As far as the money goes just about any pure bread with a strong pedigree is going to be 1K or better. It's not the money it's about giving a very good dog the kind of home it deserves. If you give this dog a good home it will thank you everyday. Go for it.

yzfrider2
01-27-2009, 08:24 PM
i have a lab and a mini shcnauzer, both are great dogs, though the mini does not shed....cant go wrong with a good ol lab.....read marley and me!

monza
01-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Lots of great advice, that sounds like a great deal and should be a great dog if that's the dog you want!! Love those dogs, but they shed a bit much for me.

craigs73
01-27-2009, 08:39 PM
i vote for boxer i know its not on you list but they are great with kids they are just hiper dogs.mine's not all that hiper only when the boy starts playing with her or when shes been in her cage for awile.
did i mention there very qute and loyal. here is libby at about 10 weeks shes 12 weeks now and about 16 pounds.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/libby008-1.jpg

Vegas69
01-27-2009, 09:36 PM
I'd pack the kids up and take a visit. Sounds like a top notch breeder. I will say that my Dad has had two labs sense I left home. Between us 4. The absolute worst dog was a champion blood line show dog he has now. I doubt he did much homework. You don't want a robot for a dog either. A trip to meet the dog will tell the tale. Hope it works out!

novanutcase
01-27-2009, 09:37 PM
I've always had dogs around me but my favorites have been the 2 rescues I had. One was, I think, a pure bred pit and the other was a pit/chow mix. When my son was small he would beat on these dogs relentlessly(Not beat as in beat up but beat as in Tail pulling, Ear pulling, Tackling, etc. You know! What little kids do to dogs! LOL!) I never once saw them ever show him an iota of aggression. I rescued each one within a span of 4 weeks between the two.

The pure bred died of congestive heart failure after 8 years and the mix is still going strong. Best dogs I've ever owned!

My vote is to find a rescue! You'll feel better and the dog will love you for life!

My girl Lula!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/07/PICT00013-1.jpg

John

Declawed69
01-27-2009, 10:22 PM
1.) Yellow Lab
2.) Golden Retriever
3.) Beagle

None of the above get a bagel hound (beagle basset cross)

I got mine from a shelter for $80 2 years ago, he looks small but is 55lbs and has a pretty damn long reach on his hind legs. Very patient, good with kids, but they can wear him out after long periods.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/edjumacation-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/undercover-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/pansydog-1.jpg

Pretty quite for a hound... I dont think he knew how to bark until I took him to the dog park and a beagle was howling its head off at everything that moved.

I'm a big believer in shelter dogs too, this is my second. My first was unfortunately killed by my a$$hole neighbor's pits(they've killed several of my rabbits on my property, animal control is worthless) who grabbed him 20 feet from our front door when going for a walk. I beat them off and got him to a vet but he didn't survive the night. He was a terrier mix. The pound said terripoo but I dont see any poodle, he was a guard dog, always knew when something was out of place or someone was on the property.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/DSC_0019-1.jpg

Whatever the dog, training and patience is key.

also careful with some lab puppies(most puppies in general), I a few people who have lab puppies that chew everything from the wall to the garage door and have done a lot of damage. I was floored when I saw a gaping hole all the way through the dry wall, mostly chewed furniture, they can destroy those hard rubber congs.

dachshunds are cool too...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/hotdog1-1.jpg

with grilled onions and dijon mustard:yum:

Nicks67GTO
01-27-2009, 10:52 PM
I may be late on this but heres my advice.

1. Do not get the Beagle. My wife has a beagle at her parents house and I hate this dog. Hes the most annoying, howling, yapping jealous ass of a dog ive ever met. He is REALLY bad, jumps up on stuff, eats shoes, hes bit me before. Hes the only dog i can say I 100% hate. WOW I hate that dog.

2. Labs are great. I wouldnt hesitate to own one.

3. I personally went with a Welsh Corgi recently. Coolest dog ever. I highly recommend one....we named ours "Fonzy"

hdesign
01-28-2009, 05:20 AM
Tony, $900 seems like a fair price for a pet-quality Lab. Show quality dogs usually run well over $1000 and come with a lot of strings attached as far as expectations to compete in point shows. Our Golden was $850 and came from rock solid lines. Her father was ranked #5 and mother was #17 at the age of 2 in AKC confirmation shows. (Both are currently champions.) We went with her for many of the same reasons you are. However, both the parents were her dog so we were able to see them both...a huge plus. It was actually and accidental breeding...oops!

Good breeders are not looking to rake in profits when selling these dogs. Pet-quality dogs are a byproduct of their work to improve the breed. They want to cover their breeding expenses though.

That free female sounds nice but depending on the location and extent of the fracture, she may get arthritis or other bone problems later in life. If the vet is confident in her recovery, you'll most likely end up with a fantastic dog for many years. Good luck!

Here are some other breeders recommended by the AKC in your area:
www.lor-allabs.com (http://www.lor-allabs.com/)
www.HuntmorLabradors.com (http://www.huntmorlabradors.com/)
www.kelrobin.com (http://www.kelrobin.com/)
www.dnrlabradorretrievers.com (http://www.dnrlabradorretrievers.com/)

Here is an email address you can try to find out about any filed complaints on breeders you are interested in.
[email protected]

tones2SS
01-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Like Ben said, 900 is a good price for a "GOOD" AKC dog. I paid 1,000 for my mini Schnauzer and would have paid more for her. She an awesome dog with AMAZING markings that are symmetrical.
Just be careful about the dog with the broken leg. As long as your vet/the owner's vet can give you a GUARANTEE that it wouldn't be a bad idea in the long run. Sometimes these injuries can come back to haunt you/the dog. The dog could be out playing with your kids running around and re-injure itself a lot more easily with a previous break, therefore causing you a visit to the vet's for some medicine/an office visit.
Believe me, I am not trying to deter you from a free dog, just wanting to give some sound advice. It sounds like a great deal though.
GOOD LUCK & keep us posted on what you decide on. WE WANT PICS!!

TT302Z28
01-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Rescue a mutt. Pure breeds have their place but a mutt doesn't often have the genetic issues that the pure breed have.

Besides, pure breed puppies always find a home, the pound kills off the unwanted. I have a yellow lab mix who has been with me for 12 years and a great friend.

Bigblue73
01-28-2009, 08:19 AM
I vote a boxer, since I've had two. My first one was a mix with what seemed to be schnauzer. Wire have and all, He was a great dog that passed away of just old age. We now have another boxer, a female, this time, non-papered, again a kid friendly dog that needs space to run. She runs like the wind of a hurricane and sleeps with my kids at night. Great dog.

hdesign
01-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Rescue a mutt. Pure breeds have their place but a mutt doesn't often have the genetic issues that the pure breed have.

Besides, pure breed puppies always find a home, the pound kills off the unwanted. I have a yellow lab mix who has been with me for 12 years and a great friend.

I tend to agree with this more all the time, especially after watching that "Pedigree Dogs Exposed" documentary from the BBC. The only real reason to buy a pure bred is because you know exactly what the dog will look like and act like (within reason) when it's an adult. The best dog I had was the Rottie/Shepard mix, smart, easy to train, affectionate, steady and predictable temperment, highly tolerant of kids and not hyper as hell when people came to the house. I lost him way too quick due to a spleen tumor common in Shepards.

As far as boxers-awesome dogs in almost every way! Way, way too many health issues like cancer, seizures, hip displasia, skin, nasal and eye problems. (Their heads are like a mutation.) And they don't tolerate extreme temps too well. It's a shame because a healthy one is very difficult to beat. I've read 2-3 books on them because I wanted one for a pal for Hailey.

tones2SS
01-29-2009, 06:42 AM
I tend to agree with this more all the time, especially after watching that "Pedigree Dogs Exposed" documentary from the BBC. The only real reason to buy a pure bred is because you know exactly what the dog will look like and act like (within reason) when it's an adult. The best dog I had was the Rottie/Shepard mix, smart, easy to train, affectionate, steady and predictable temperment, highly tolerant of kids and not hyper as hell when people came to the house. I lost him way too quick due to a spleen tumor common in Shepards.

As far as boxers-awesome dogs in almost every way! Way, way too many health issues like cancer, seizures, hip displasia, skin, nasal and eye problems. (Their heads are like a mutation.) And they don't tolerate extreme temps too well. It's a shame because a healthy one is very difficult to beat. I've read 2-3 books on them because I wanted one for a pal for Hailey.

You are right with boxers. My girlfriend's parents have 2 of them and they are GREAT dogs. They love the affection they get from humans.
BUT, there are the health issues that Ben mentioned here that you must be aware of. Both of their boxers had surgeries to remove cancer and one of them has an eye problem.
Other than that, they are great, friendly, and loyal, playful dogs.

trapin
01-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Just an update. We are going to visit the dog on Saturday. I'll keep you posted. Maybe I'll take the camera along but the lady warned me that she is still in the recovery process and still hasn't grown back the hair that was shaved fro the surgery. The breeder also said that she has had to isolate the dog from the other dogs and keep her weight down by about 5 or 6 pounds to ease her recovery. She is only being cautious because the dog is very active and wants to play constantly. She warned me I'll probably be licked to death. LOL!!

wmhjr
01-29-2009, 10:44 AM
I know it's not on your list also, but wanted to do my daily PR about this.

We've got a Rottie - our 2nd, and 5th of our family. Every single Rottie has been an absolutely wonderful dog. We've had German Shepherds, collies, toy collies, and others. Though they've all been great friends, the Rotties have been amazing.

One caveat - Rotties like people. They DON'T like to be chained outside by themselves. They are big, strong, durable and intelligent dogs that like company. They are not fighting dogs. They were bred to herd, work and pull carts. They absolutely adore kids. They just need to be socialized when raised. Our current family member is a 100lb 15 month old male who thinks he's a lap dog. He has never met a living creature that he doesn't like.

Like I said, just doing my public relations because there are so many bad stories out there giving this breed an unfair reputation.

The Puppy wearing his Steelers Collar!
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/DSC_0265-1.jpg

Playing in the water at about 7 months old
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/30March08452-1.jpg

The lap dog at about 10 months old
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/16Sept2008050-1.jpg

6'9"Witha69
01-29-2009, 11:21 AM
The only drawback, is that due to their reputation and size, Homeowners insurance premiums go up when you add a large dog 'on the list'.

vyking67
01-29-2009, 11:52 AM
i agree the rottweiler is the way i would go not much bigger than the lab and not as aloff .. i just lost my rottie of 13 years and by far one of the greatest dogs i have ever had in my life.. yes they have no idea how big they are , she never hurt anyone and was very protective of both my kids as they grew up with her.. 1 year before she passed we got a bull dog .. i love his to pieces but a completly diffrent animal .. boxers are good but can be hard to train if you dont stay on top of them.. labs are very easy to train and they want to be told what to do.. unlike to bulldog.. forget the beagle i had a beagle once and it was stolen out of my front yard when it was still a pup .. ( i was not sad about it )

Mkelcy
01-29-2009, 12:09 PM
I would avoid a show dog and a breeder who breeds primarily for shows like the plague. The AKC is only concerned with looks. As long as the dog behaves in the ring, they don't care about disposition, emotional stability, courage, drive or anything else that can't be seen. Show dog breeders will trade a healthier personality for better looks every day of the week and twice on Sunday, as long as the dog can be shown. Looks win championships, not disposition. Looks, however, just aren't that important for a family pet, but disposition is critical. Try doing a search on "AKC ruined breeds," and see what you get. (I got over 12,000 hits in Google, including a large number of breed clubs concerned about what getting AKC recognition would do to their breeds.)

Because you're looking at Labs, I'd be much more inclined to go to a breeder who breeds primarily working dogs - in this case dogs meant to hunt. In working dogs, the dog's personality is just as important as how it looks and the breeder may well have done some preliminary desensitizing. I got my German Shepherds from a breeder who was focussed on breeding working dogs. From birth and for the first seven weeks of their lives, they heard a continuous tape playing all sorts of sounds - trains, trucks, doors slamming, babies crying - you name it. Surprise, none of those things bother my dogs at all. They also have the ability to chnage their behavior depending on who they're around. With me they barge around and nearly knock me down serveral times a day; yet my one year old granddaughter spent a week here and was never even brushed hard, much less knocked down. If I have one of their Kongs in my hand they are jumping fools, trying to get it; yet my five year old grandaughter can wave that Kong around and they sit quietly waiting for it to be thrown. These are big, tough, protection trained dogs with incredibly solid personalities.

None of this is directed at the particular breeder you're working with. She may be great or she may not. But do concern yourself with the dog's disposition.

About six years ago we tried to rescue a German Shepherd while we had two other (old) dogs. We took our dogs to meet the GSD off site and everything seemed so okay that we took the new dog home. After a few days, the rescue dog settled in, decided she didn't like the other dogs around and nearly killed one of our old dogs. This wasn't a domination display (I've seen plenty of those) this was a grab the throat and try to rip it out attack. So, again, looks are nice, but disposition is what makes a great pet and companion.

wmhjr
01-29-2009, 12:58 PM
FWIW, insurance issues (and sizes) vary. My homeowners insurance is not affected whatsoever by my having a Rottie. Never has. Also, if properly cared for most Rotties are not larger than Labs. They're strong as all getout, but they're pretty similar in size!

Anyway, not trying to convince anyone of anything other than Rotties are not snarling, slobbering, vicious, tempermental dogs. Raised in a caring home, they're more like sometimes drooling, happy, intelligent and tongue happy oversized lap dogs.

I'll also echo that breeding needs to consider temperment, and that show dogs are not necessarily good family pets.

Tony, it seems like you may have a good option already. Hope this weekend works out well. No matter the breed, a good dog is hard to beat.

Huneycutt
01-29-2009, 04:36 PM
We have a yellow lab and love him. Of course, he lives outside and shedding isn't a concern.
This might have already been mentioned but I wasn't aware there is a British Lab and an American Lab. When my dog got a lot bigger than I expected, I checked with a more informed dog person than I am and he told me the British Lab is a bigger breed than the American version, which was bred to work well as a retreiver out of a canoe or other small boats. Herculese is 85 pounds (and not fat), where the labs I'm used to are in the 50-60 pound range. Don't know how much of that is really accurate, but it still might be worth checking on.

trex1270
01-29-2009, 05:18 PM
I agree with the rescue plan for a family pet, if you going to use the lab for hunting, then go get a one from a breeder. But, for a pet, help a dog out needing a home before it is too late...900 dollars for a pet seems high...I have a German Shorthair pointer (I am a bird hunter) that I paid 175 for. His father was a 2 time field trial champion. Buddy is almost 10 now and he has been the best dog ever. Words of wisdom, any dog that is breed for work, hunting, herding, etc need to have daily exercise or they can become destructive.....trust me......

trex1270
01-29-2009, 05:20 PM
here he be

hdesign
01-29-2009, 05:34 PM
I would avoid a show dog and a breeder who breeds primarily for shows like the plague. The AKC is only concerned with looks. As long as the dog behaves in the ring, they don't care about disposition, emotional stability, courage, drive or anything else that can't be seen. Show dog breeders will trade a healthier personality for better looks every day of the week and twice on Sunday, as long as the dog can be shown. Looks win championships, not disposition. Looks, however, just aren't that important for a family pet, but disposition is critical.

Everything else you said I pretty much agree with but this part is only true if you don't do your homework when finding a breeder.

Ethical breeders (that are recommended by AKC) will breed dogs to find the ideal representation of the breed standard. The breed standard is defined by the parent club of the breed. They clearly state what an ideal dog should look like and have for temperament. Ethical breeders work very hard to breed out temperament problems that may have plagued the breed during high-popularity booms. Unethical breeders will haphazardly mate any decent looking dogs together without consideration just to make a profit during such booms. Those breeders are blacklisted by the AKC immediately. This happened with Cocker Spaniels and Collies in the 50s/60's.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breeders are going through hell right now trying to breed out this awful disease called Syringomyelia that is actually killing my parents dogs right now.

Bottom line, (if you are interested in a pure-bred) do your homework on breeders and make sure you are happy with the temperment they aim for. Go to confirmation shows in your area and familiarize yourself with the breed and breeders. Speciality shows are a great place to compair your specific breed. That's how I met our breeder. It was a Golden Retreiver specialty show and of all that I saw, Hailey's father was exactly what we work looking for in every way.

As for the working dog/show dog comment, there is probably no greater visual difference than in Golden Retreivers. Look at the photos of Hailey I posted and compare them to John's dog Copper. As far as the breed standard goes, Hailey stays pretty close as far as heavy bone, broad head and thick golden coat. Copper is what is called a "Field Golden". They tend to be a darker red, thinner build and actually perform better out in the field from what I've heard. They both have the same awesome kid-friendly personalities.

trapin
01-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Good stuff guys.

Thats also a good point about doing your homework selecting a breeder. This lady has been at it for 31 years and sits on the board of a reputable Labrador Retriever Club. I also get a real good vibe just from talking to her on the phone. So far, I trust her. I'll know more when I meet her on Saturday and get a look at her digs and meet the dogs.

parsonsj
01-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Tony,

Don't take your kids to meet the dogs the first time. If you do, it will be all over! Hell, you'll have a hard time walking away without taking a puppy with you.

Good luck!

jp

trapin
01-30-2009, 03:46 AM
Oh the kids are staying home, trust me. LOL!! I ain't gettin' into that. I'd be asking for trouble.

My cousin is a big dog lover and has owned a few of them and she's going to go with me to give me her opinion.

68KMARO
02-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Sorry to chime in late,
My wife and I rescue dogs right off the street, not from shelters and then we take them to our vet and have them checked out before we bring them home. I would rescue a dog. There are so many that deserve a second chance on life. I have found rescue dogs, we have 5 pitbulls, 1 neopolitan mastiff, 1 rottweiller and 2 jack russell terriers, all are very protective of our family and our children. Its the green thing to do.

trapin
02-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Well it's official...she is coming home with us on the 11th. I went to meet the dog on Saturday and then took the family with me yesterday to meet her. She is a cheerful dog that is full of energy and she's a good looking dog too. My wife was really taken with her. She has a bit of a limp cause she's only 3 weeks out from her surgery which takes about 8 to 12 weeks to fully heal. We will be meeting the vet who did the surgery on the 11th as well so we can ask him any questions we might have. Right now we can't decide on a name but the front runners are Juno and Dora.

So far this has been working out beautifully (knock on wood). I'm getting the dog for free that has all her shots, is potty trained and past the nipping stage. The cage I'm getting is free from a friend of mines parents. AND...I won the 3rd quarter of our office Superbowl pool ($75). So I'm going to take that money up to the pet store on my lunch hour and get the dishes, leash, collar, and some chew toys.

We're pretty excited about it. Nervous a bit (because this is our first dog) but excited. Now I have a week and a half to get the house "puppy proofed" and make all the arrangements. Here's a few pics of the little girl. If you look closely at the last pic you can see the incision from the surgery on her right hind leg. It's still visible cause the hair hasn't grown back from when they shaved it. But boy...she doesn't let that stop her. She was sprintin' after toys and bouncing all over.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/02/3247377602_cb94e2e06d-1.jpg?v=0

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/02/3247380040_8acd5fb2f5-1.jpg?v=0

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/02/3246545939_fa91c13860-1.jpg?v=0

parsonsj
02-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Congratulations. Time to read the book "Marley and Me".

Good luck with her!

jp

hdesign
02-02-2009, 07:44 AM
Congrats Tony, she's beautiful! Good luck with her!

Vegas69
02-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Definitely a beautiful dog.

6'9"Witha69
02-02-2009, 08:54 AM
She's a beauty. Congrats!

dropit69
02-02-2009, 09:44 AM
great choice Tony..congrats on the new family member..just keep her away from the paint on the camaro...oh my vote for the name juno ..more fitting for a dog..

JEFFTATE
02-02-2009, 11:05 AM
That's a pretty dog Tony !
Congrats.

You gonna' take her riding in the Camaro ??
My dog ( Blue ) will not let me alone when he hears my car crank.
He wants to ride up front with me.
He won't even ride in the back of my pickup anymore. ( spoiled )

KevMc
02-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Great looking dog! Glad she found you.

02-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Good choice!

tones2SS
02-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Awesome Tony!!!
She is a good looking dog. You and your family are going to have a blast with her. The best is coming home from where-ever and they greet you at the door and it's an awesome feeling.
Now you'll know, once you have a dog, you'll always want a dog.
GOOD LUCK & ENJOY!!!:1st:

trapin
02-03-2009, 05:40 AM
Thanks guys. We're looking forward to it. Oh, and we finally settled on a name; Sam (short for Samantha).

parsonsj
02-03-2009, 05:43 AM
Cool. Her nickname will be Goddam Sam. Just kidding.

(I often refer to our little 40 lb Chihuahua as the "damn dog" when she does something she shouldn't. Which she does about once an hour)

jp

Tony_SS
02-04-2009, 05:30 AM
Goodluck Tony! She looks great.. hope she's working out so far.

John, I once heard a guy yelling.. hey 'sh!thead!'.. turns out he was calling his dog. LOL and the dog answered to that name too.

trapin
02-04-2009, 08:32 AM
John, the nickname the breeder gave the dog was Presto. It was derived from what was going to be the dogs show name which was Ambridge Magic's Night Out or something like that. The kids wanted to keep it but I told them there was no way I was going to call out for this dog by yelling, PRESTO! PRESTO!.

My neighbors would have thought I was doing magic tricks in the back yard.

6'9"Witha69
02-04-2009, 08:46 AM
John, the nickname the breeder gave the dog was Presto. It was derived from what was going to be the dogs show name which was Ambridge Magic's Night Out or something like that. The kids wanted to keep it but I told them there was no way I was going to call out for this dog by yelling, PRESTO! PRESTO!.

Not so bad. I knew a guy who named his dogs Marco and Polo. Imagine what that sounded like.

Ranaexcavating
02-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Tony

I have had 3 labs (one Yellow and two Chocolate) in my opinion they are the best dog for a family with children.

You'll find yourself having full conversations with your dog.......... and they don't give you any BS back!

Tony_SS
02-04-2009, 09:30 AM

Lol, you say that now but you will.

Surfer
02-06-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm a small dog type guy, have a psycho Min Pin, crazy Chihuahua, and a lunatic cat.