PDA

View Full Version : Aeromotive fuel filters: how to tell them apart?

parsonsj
01-25-2009, 07:53 PM
I've got two Aeromotive fuel filters on my car; one before the pump and one after.

Aeromotive says to run a 100 micron filter (Aeromotive pn 12304) before the pump and a 10 micron filter (pn 12301) after the pump. It turns out that a common mistake is to use a 10 micron filter before the pump which can lead to fuel pump vapor lock.

Today, I had the vapor lock problem (again, and it was the same thing that happened to me in Pigeon Forge). I really can't remember which filter I put where... and I can't tell which is which by looking at them.

Anybody know how to tell them apart without taking them apart?

jp

Blown353
01-25-2009, 08:42 PM
John, AFAIK there is no external difference, but it's been awhile since I've had any Aeromotive filters apart... The 100 micron filter uses the stainless mesh element and the 10 micron is the paper element.

I'd just take one apart (whichever is easiest) and then you'll know if you need to switch them.

parsonsj
01-26-2009, 05:52 AM
Yeah, that's what I'll do today. Of course I just filled the tank, so this is going to be one of those "wet" jobs.

I hate wet jobs. :)

jp

gkring
01-26-2009, 03:19 PM
No external difference. Same housing, just different element inside. I would take apart the suction side since you are afraid it has the higher restriction paper element and is causing problems.

parsonsj
01-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, here's an update.

I had the right filters in the right place. The suction side element (100 micron ss) looks brand new. No problems there at all.

The pressure side element, on the other hand, is black, and chunks of my old Russell 10 AN SS hose (replaced with hard line last spring) were inside. It's hard to believe, but my fuel pump problems seem to just be a dirty fuel filter.

Another question: is a 10 micron filter really necessary? Maybe put a 100 micron filter on the pressure side of the pump? Thoughts?

jp

Blown353
01-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Without knowing what particle size an injector can "safely" pass without damage I can't say... but it goes without saying that larger particles have the possibility of doing more damage in terms of clogging or abrasive wear.

Injectors have a little screen on the inlet side; I'd want my pre-injector fuel filter to be at least as fine, preferably a bit finer than that-- thus any particles that make it through the pre-injector filter will pass right through the inlet screens on the injector. It's much easier to change a filter element than sending your injectors out to be cleaned.

Well, here's an update.

I had the right filters in the right place. The suction side element (100 micron ss) looks brand new. No problems there at all.

The pressure side element, on the other hand, is black, and chunks of my old Russell 10 AN SS hose (replaced with hard line last spring) were inside. It's hard to believe, but my fuel pump problems seem to just be a dirty fuel filter.

Another question: is a 10 micron filter really necessary? Maybe put a 100 micron filter on the pressure side of the pump? Thoughts?

jp

parsonsj
02-01-2009, 10:47 AM
I've posted in the other threads about this, but the new elements made a big big difference.

The 10 micron is fine.. plenty of gas gets to the fuel rails now.

jp

WS6
06-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Sorry to dig this back up but I'm curious to know how you like the Aeromotive filters John or anyone else. I need an inline after pump filter for my TA. I was not at all happy with the Earl's filter that had 6AN fittings. It leaked around the different sections even after tightening. I know Aeromotive is good but so is Earl's. Any other options out there I should look at. I just need a quality filter that has 6AN fittings on it so I can hook everything up correctly.

Thanks

Doug F
06-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Just get a $6 TPI filter and buy the saginaw to -6 fittings if you have less than 500-600 HP.

I ran that on my 600HP BBC no problems.

parsonsj
06-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Trey, I've no complaints about the Aeromotive filters. They are rock solid (o-ring construction, so no leaks), and flow lotsa gas. Expensive, but worth it.

jp

DeltaT
06-24-2009, 11:28 AM
I believe Summit now sells their own version that uses the same internal filters and costs a lot less. Based on past experience, a side-by-side comparison usually shows that they are made by the same company (Aeromotive or Earl's, or whoever makes theirs). But sometime Summit puts huge logos on theirs and you have to turn them downwards to hide it.

Jim

WS6
06-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks John, Doug, and Jim.

Doug, where can i find these adapters you speak of? I'm on a tight budget and my LT1 is stock for now.

Jim. The Trick Flow filters and Summit filters are the same since TFS is owned by Summit. I'm not sure who makes them beyond that though