PDA

View Full Version : 24hrs of Daytona

JEFFTATE
01-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Is anybody gonna' watch the 24hr of Daytona race ?

I am !

David Donohue ( Mark Donohues son ) has captured the pole position !
Here's a link :http://www.grand-am.com/rolex/news/index.cfm?cid=20443

I have gotten into Sportscar Roadracing in the past few years.
I can't wait to see the action !
There's just something about the high-speed roadrace cars and the whole endurance-race idea that adds a higher level of interest for me.

ProdigyCustoms
01-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Bill, Yancy, The Forgeline boys are all here with us. Heading over soon.

JEFFTATE
01-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Cool !
Wish I was there !

Gordz32
01-24-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm watching!

The Stickman
01-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I'll be watching it. There are also live streaming vid somewhere for when they are not on the TV. Maybe we could also use the pro-touring chat to talk during the race.

fishtail8
01-24-2009, 09:06 AM
If someone finds the stream let me know. I don't even have TV here!

The Stickman
01-24-2009, 10:34 AM
If someone finds the stream let me know. I don't even have TV here!

Try these.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/daytona-international-speedway-web-cam

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/trgs-rolex-24-hours-at-daytona-pit-cam

http://www.grand-am.com/rolex/multimedia/tv.cfm
And live timing and scoring
http://laptrax04.racersites-cluster.com/OrbitsServer/jsp/TimingWideView.jsp?sid=472&VNUM=69&SERIES=R&TEST=

JEFFTATE
01-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks Stickman !!

There are so many famous names in this Series !

David Donohue , Hurley Haywood , Alex Gurney , Penske !

It's cool to see the famous family names from Trans-am and Can-Am still going.

dropit69
01-24-2009, 12:11 PM
that would be cool to get to see live..i see Danica's racing in it too..and 6 cup drivers..

dropit69
01-24-2009, 12:34 PM
i found a feed that is delayed 30 seconds but works..some reason can't be live cause of speeds rights to it but here it is..
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/trg%27s-rolex-24-hours-at-daytona-pit-cam

JEFFTATE
01-24-2009, 12:40 PM
i found a feed that is delayed 30 seconds but works..some reason can't be live cause of speeds rights to it but here it is..
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/trg%27s-rolex-24-hours-at-daytona-pit-cam

cool !
Thanks Man !
I'm also watching a little bit on FOX TV too. ( From the customer lounge here at work )

Bill Howell
01-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Anyone that gets the chance should go to this event one year, nothing else like it anywhere IMO. 24 straight hours of racing. I used to go every year and have not been in a while so last minute Yancy and I decided to go this weekend. We left Daytona about 10AM this morning so we could get back home at a decent hour, but had a blast.

thedugan
01-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Went to watch them at Watkins Glen 2 years straight.

Great racing,

The Stickman
01-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Anyone that did not watch this race missed out on one hell of a race. The last 3-4 hours were just spectacular. The last hour was even more so. The race was 24 hours long and with an hour left there were still 4 cars duking it out for the top spot. David Donohue driving for Brumos racing put on one hell of a drive to beat Juan Pablo Montoya to win 40 years after his late father won the 24 hours of Daytona for Roger Penske.

ssdeuce
01-25-2009, 06:48 PM
I watched on TV. Speed had great coverage and it was a great race.

bingham72
01-25-2009, 07:24 PM
awesome event. Does anyone know why the ALMS cars don't run it anymore?

The Stickman
01-25-2009, 08:08 PM
awesome event. Does anyone know why the ALMS cars don't run it anymore?

The France family owns Daytona. They own the Grand-Am series. Therefore they set the rules. The France family saw what happened to IMSA in the early 90's and decided to try and do for Sportscars what they have done with NASCAR in their minds. To keep technology down and therefore costs down. ALMS is more of the old IMSA methodology where build whatever you can come up with and spend what you want. They are also pretty much on the same rule package as LeMans so in order to be the AmericanLeMansSeries they have to follow what France(not the family) says. In my opinion Grand-Am has better racing and ALMS has the technology.

MuscleRodz
01-25-2009, 09:44 PM
DP racing to me is the best racing on the planet since the demise of Trans Am. I watched most of it and loved every minute of it.

JEFFTATE
01-26-2009, 06:25 AM
Yeah !
I was glued to the TV watching all of the coverage.
The last 3 hours was intense !

I was sooo thrilled that David Donohue won.

I was , however , a little disappointed in his reaction to comments about his Dad.
The interviewer mentioned how great it was that David had started from pole and won on the 40th Anniversary of his Dad doing the same thing .
And David kinda' blew it off.
Maybe he's sensative about his Dad's memory.
Or he doesn't want to compared to his dad all the time.
Or he's just moved past it cause he's heard it so much over the years.

But he said ,"To Heck with all that , lets congratulate my crew and all these guys ".

I think I was more sentimental about it than David was.
I guess you never know what's going on in somebodys head unless you've been in their shoes.

The Stickman
01-26-2009, 09:41 AM
DP racing to me is the best racing on the planet since the demise of Trans Am. I watched most of it and loved every minute of it.

Trans-Am is back for 09 with tubeframe GT-1 and GT-2 machines. Not sure if any of it will be televised

The Stickman
01-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Yeah !

I was , however , a little disappointed in his reaction to comments about his Dad.
The interviewer mentioned how great it was that David had started from pole and won on the 40th Anniversary of his Dad doing the same thing .

But he said "To Heck with all that,lets congratulate my crew and all these guys ".

I guess you never know what's going on in somebodys head unless you've been in there shoes.

I agree with all that. Not sure why the reaction was what it was.. It may be any one of the things you mentioned. Could be he simply wasn't old enogh to remember his dad.

DJW32
01-26-2009, 09:50 AM
What a race! DP is some of the best racing out right now.

JEFFTATE
01-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Trans-Am is back for 09 with tubeframe GT-1 and GT-2 machines. Not sure if any of it will be televised

Cool !
I'll go see them !
I heard a few teams were gonna' run the new Camaro in the Koni Challenge.

Damn True
01-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah !

But he said ,"To Heck with all that , lets congratulate my crew and all these guys ".

I guess you never know what's going on in somebodys head unless you've been in their shoes.

The sense I got was the wanted to concentrate on the fact that the Brumos team (drivers, crew etc) won the race and THAT was the important bit. He, though of prestigious lineage, was only one part of that.

Though....holding off a seven time F1 race winner for 2hrs was pretty special.

69Nova
01-26-2009, 01:29 PM
I had a blast down there all weekend. Went Friday for a few hours and watched the Koni Challange. And then returned the next day for the Rolex 24 with a few friends. I had a blast walking pit road when all the cars were lined up before the race and talking to the small time guys, it was too annoying walking around the DP cars with all the people. But I think I might of had the best time walking the garage and watching the teams work at 4:00 in the mourning.

I'll stop my rambling now, I could write a small book with all the goings on that happened.

JEFFTATE
01-26-2009, 01:56 PM
The sense I got was the wanted to concentrate on the fact that the Brumos team (drivers, crew etc) won the race and THAT was the important bit. He, though of prestigious lineage, was only one part of that.

Though....holding off a seven time F1 race winner for 2hrs was pretty special.

Good Point.....