PDA

View Full Version : Subframe connectors and cage?

4MuscleMachines
03-04-2005, 01:33 PM
I am building a 67 RS/SS camaro. It is a true all original sheetmetal car with docs substantiating it is a true 396 big block. I have a ZZ502 for it. I want to keep any cutting or mods to a minimum but at the same time make it a PT machine. I have been told the subframe connectors and solid body mounts are good enough for the zz502. I might want to supercharge it and get about 700-750hp out of it. Would I need a cage? How many points? My builder says definitely. Remember, I will want to sell it in the future and reap the value of it being a true RS/SS car with a 396 option. I know its a fine line but with some creative thinking maybe it can be done?

Ricoch3T
03-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Well honestly I'd keep the original motor and drivetrain in the car. I *THINK thats where a lot of value comes from with the cars. Course if you want a PT car you could always find another camaro and give the ss/rs to me :)!

rocketrod
03-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Remember, I will want to sell it in the future and reap the value of it being a true RS/SS car with a 396 option. I know its a fine line but with some creative thinking maybe it can be done?

If the car is original and you want it to keep its value leave it alone and find another car, like posted previously.

Steve Chryssos
03-04-2005, 06:03 PM
An honest 750HP will require chassis reinforcement in the name of both performance and safety. You also have to consider chassis mods that will allow your car to get all that power to the ground. And proper chassis reinforcement/modifications will require welding.

You're gonna have to choose: Performance & Safety OR Originality.

Luckily, quality Pro-Touring cars are bringing good money these days. If your concern is resale value, don't worry so much. If you are feeling guilty about sacrificing an original, start with a different car or limit your build to bolt-on parts only.

MrQuick
03-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah I agree, but if you go PT you will have to go bolls out on the build to get a good price.
As for a cage, I don't think its needed unless you plan on going to the track offen. A cage can be built to be removed easily later.
I built a support cage for a 65 Chevy II that had a cross member hoop run up the side of the rear seat and across to the other side then had 4 bars running 2 front that tied into the subframe commecters and 2 down bars to the rear frame behind the rear leaf mount. It was totally invisible except from the trunk. It was a selling point for the car.
You will have to decide which way you are going. Finding good buildable cars is tough these days.

Steve Chryssos
03-04-2005, 08:47 PM
As for a cage, I don't think its needed unless you plan on going to the track offen. A cage can be built to be removed easily later.

750HP, yo! No reinforcement and he'll end up turnin that fine classic into a pretzel. Think what that'll do to the resale. Where's the mustard?

4MuscleMachines
03-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Its a hard choice for me. I found the car at a good price and no rust whatsoever. It was from Canada and had been in dry storage for the last 17yrs. I saved alot of cash from having to buy sheetmetal and panels, also the paint came out first class since it was so straight and the panels true. Thats why at this point I have a chance to either go PT or stay original. If I buy another Camaro, it will take just as much money to get the body, rust/sheetmetal, and paint up to snuff as this original is in (and have to settle for repro sheetmetal). Either way, I think I will take the advice and stay original. Anyone with a nice 69 Camaro body? I have a ton of Global West, Aeromotive, steeroids, Wilwood six piston, Vintage Air, GMPP ZZ502, ect (all new in the box)..for sale now.

MrQuick
03-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Steve I like mine with extra salt if you don't mind!
yeah but a full cage is what I meant. A 4 point won't do much more than a beefed up frame tie job can do. So a cage would be the way to go but 750 isn't that much right? Would it justify a full cage? For a street car? humm At the wheels would be a different story.
4 M&M man, If you have an alternative car to build by all means do it and save the jem for the jewler.
Thanks Steve now im got a jonesen for a pretzel :scared:

Steve Chryssos
03-05-2005, 04:32 AM
Yeah--If you've already painted the car you don't want to start fabricating.
Vince,
Hop it to NY. Good pretzel vender on the west side.

ProdigyCustoms
03-05-2005, 05:21 AM
As ussual my buddy Steve is dead on. If it were me, i would E bay the orginal car and go to the bank, and buy a noting car and do it right. All I can add is:
750HP and no cage? Death wish?

GetMore
09-11-2005, 06:43 AM
How about 750hp and keep the stock tires? No need for reinforcement then! :)

4MuscleMachines
09-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Nice suggestion! But wow, how quickly time changes plans...the car has been sold. It was too nice to twist up. Most of the parts are gone except to a few good suspension, steering, and brake items. I will post them up later this week.