PDA

View Full Version : Baer disc brake squeeking, how do you get rid of it?

4MuscleMachines
03-04-2005, 12:26 PM
I have the Baer 13" in my 71 Boss 351 and the front and rear discs squeek alot...drives me crazy! Makes my pristine $45k car sound like an old rust bucket. I have driven the car for about 20 miles. Maybe my mechanic forgot to install/lube or do something to prevent the Baers from squeeking? Is there any fix or is that the way they all are?

TonyL
03-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Iv'e never heard of anyone saying they squeaked before. but I do know there are lots of "goos" that you smear on the back of the pads on the market that help.

4MuscleMachines
03-04-2005, 01:01 PM
They squeek when driving and stop making noise when I apply the brakes. The noise comes and goes and the wheels turn. Sounds like an old wooden wagon wheel when you turn it...

72SSAbody
03-04-2005, 01:54 PM
How many miles do you have on the pads? There are metal tabs that will rub on the rotors to remind you when your pads are getting thin (time to change).

Take a wheel off and start looking around for something rubbing.

4MuscleMachines
03-04-2005, 03:17 PM
The pads are brand new less than 20 miles, so is the rest of the disc brake system.

in2protour
03-04-2005, 03:24 PM
did you follow instructions to break them in? something like 3 quick stops from 30 mph without locking up the brakes, let them cool down a while, then do the same thing, this time around 50 mph. I had the same problem, what I did on accident was drive while my emergency brake was on for about a mile. I smell something burning and looked down, the emergency brakes were on. After the incident, no more noise.

LTorres
03-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Get rid of the squeaks, Oh that's easy get rid of the Baer Brakes.....Totally kidding lol. Really though something as simple as a pad shim or spring clip just loose enough to vibrate will cause your sound. The reason it goes away when you apply the brakes is your stopping whatever is vibrating by applying the brakes. Take a good look for anything that looks loose, that when the brakes are applied would seize all movement!! If it's brake shims on the pad backing or spring clips fore and aft the pad then appliy some type of Moly-lube or even (anti-sieze by perma-tex). This will solve your problemo!! If not then taking measures as to chamfering the leading and trailing edges of the pads so they contact the rotor at different angles would be my next approach...

protour_chevelle
03-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Could be were you put your washer for shimming... I know that in the instructions it says to shim the caliper as needed. Well I got it wrong the first time. The basket was hitting my rotor causing a brutal sounding noise, it was a squeel type sound. Managed to save the rotor!

-Matt