PDA

View Full Version : TKO owners

69HuggrrrPT
03-04-2005, 05:25 AM
Anyone running the TKO 600 with .64 OD with 4.56 gears and 26" wheels. If so how are you liking this combo on the freeway, what real world rpm's say at 75mph?
I am swapping out a M20 so anything with OD is an improvement. Just wondering if maybe 3.73 would be worth the extra $. The car has a peppy 355 and is 60% street 30% freeway 10% strip. I think that adds up to 100% LOL!

Also would the Auto Meter sender(5291 I already have) shown here (http://hp.autometer.com/products/accessories/prog_speedo_sender/prog_speedo_sender.html) shown work with the TKO

Anyway just looking for any input/opinions.

Anyone in for yet another GP while we are up to about 15 the moment!! :lmao: Why stop now!
Seriously I will be getting a TKO in the next 3 months or less.

Dean

andrewb70
03-04-2005, 10:44 AM
You don't need a sender. THe TKO 600 has both a conventional speedo drive as well as a VSS.

I am sure someone else will chime in with the rest of the info.

Andrew

1976SR71
03-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Those TKO's have a deep first gear...
4:56's would kill first gear with that tire dia.
I think the gear swap will be needed...
Maybe even 3:55's
Play with the gearing calculator....
HERE (http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/gear_calculator.html) It compares the TKO600 to the M20

will69camaro
03-04-2005, 06:14 PM
A friend of mine just pulled the TKO500 out of his 99 Cobra because it couldn't handle a drag strip as well as his stock T45 was...He's plenty pissed. He's had the transmission in and out quite a few times in this past month (atleast 10times) trying to get everything in line and last i heard it was stuck in second on a trailer and he couldn't get it out. I'm pretty sure he's done with the TKO for now. He was running 4.56 reargears and a 28 inch et drag.

William

69HuggrrrPT
03-07-2005, 06:15 AM
Thanks guys, So what would I need to hook up my electric speedo to the TKO? Does Auto Meter make such an animal?

Dean

JayBird
03-09-2005, 05:30 AM
Here is what you would need for the TKO 600. This is what I have.
http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/images/tremec_transmissions/Electricspeedsensor.jpg

andrewb70
03-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Autometer makes all kinds of electronic speedo gauges.

Andrew

69HuggrrrPT
03-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Ok I see what is needed now, thanks. I was just trying to use the new sender I had bought for my M20. Looks like it may be for sale now.

Andrew,
I know Auto Meter sells lots of electric speedo's, I already have one.

Dean

shoe4hire
03-22-2005, 01:59 PM
I have just purchased a TKO 500 for my car and I am having problems with it grinding when I downsift. So far Tremac is not wanting to help in any way! I only have about 150 miles on the car. So buyer beware!

dennis68
03-22-2005, 10:21 PM
It's Tremec and grinding on downshifts is not one of the very few problems this box is known for. They are probably dragging their feet hopping you figure out what really is wrong before they have to tear a box down for no reason. I may be wrong, you may be the 1 in a million that got a bad box. i doubt it though, Tremec did a very good job with the TKO.

The list of things that could be wrong is huge, I would start from scratch and triple check everything from clutch adjustment to bellhousing alignment and driveline alignment. How about the driveline, did it not get shortened enough and maybe is binding the output shaft?

dhardison
03-23-2005, 05:16 AM
I agree w/Denny, definitely check the clutch adjustment and bellhousing alignment. Either of those being "off" could cause grinding downshifts. What type/brand fluid did you use in the trans?

dan

shoe4hire
03-23-2005, 01:45 PM
I have checked the clutch ajustment and it is perfect. I have gone thought every possible thing that I know of. I don't know what else to check.? It only grids going into 3rd gear no other gears.

It may be less expensive for me to have the transmition fixed loccally than to send it back to Tremac anyway. You could say I am very frustrated at this point! Travis

shoe4hire
03-23-2005, 01:47 PM
I used the GM syncromesh fluid that was suggested .

Travis

shoe4hire
03-24-2005, 07:04 AM
I have talked with Jeff from Classic chevy 5 speed where I bought the transmition and he has been working with me to try to get it fixed. They are looking for a shop here in Texas so I don't have to ship it arcoss the country. Very good customer service!!

Travis

SDMAN
04-05-2005, 07:06 PM
I am very happy with my TKO-600. Firm, positive shifts, well spaced ratios and an overdrive that allows cruising at 85-90 mph spinning less than 2500 rpm. Very good piece for the money they charge.

Shoe4hire, did you check the bellhousing registration? Clutch adjustment can be good, but if the bellhousing isnt registered properly to the crank centerline your gonna have issues.

toxicz28
04-06-2005, 06:14 PM
....Anyone in for yet another GP while we are up to about 15 the moment!! :lmao: Why stop now!
Seriously I will be getting a TKO in the next 3 months or less.

Dean

What kind of GP are we talking about? Direct from Tremec, or from a vendor? I was planning on a T-56 for mine. Probably from Keisler.

69HuggrrrPT
04-07-2005, 04:39 AM
There's no GP going on at the moment that I know of. If you hear of one or start one let us know.

4MuscleMachines
04-08-2005, 08:06 PM
I also have a tko-600 with bad vibration problems since day one. I had to get it removed. When it was on, had a bad vibration, almost rotational. It happened all the time(in neutral, in neutral with clutch in, in gear) and worse when in gear. I got to support whatsoever. Its been two months and no returned calls from the Tremec vendor. Any clues to this? I was told that maybe the alignment is off and the input shaft bounces against the crank hole, then again I was told this is impossible since it is too tight inthere.

Hurst - Jeff
04-09-2005, 07:22 AM
Hello-
4MuscleMachinesMan,
I assume you have tried to work with the vendor who sold you your TKO or that you have tried to call a Tremec tech directly. If you have exhausted these sources, feel free to give me a call and I will do what I can to help.

Group Purchase Guys-
As it relates to a group purchase, if there is enough interest, we will try to get something going for you guys. It will be very simple and straight forward.

If you are interested, let us know and we will go from there.

Scott & Jeff
Classic Chevy 5-Speed
www.ClassicChevy5Speed.com
760-230-2045

rockdogz
04-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Guys, I would HIGHLY recommend you talk to Jeff at ClassicChevy5Speed. I bought my TKO from Keisler, and I have received more help from Jeff than from Keisler. I haven't even been able to give him any business myself yet and he still helps me out - a total stranger. He has been incredible - it can't hurt to give him a call even if you're just getting quotes. He's highly knowledgeable and has great connections. :cool: :cool:

Smoke'm
04-11-2005, 06:54 PM
I also have a tko-600 with bad vibration problems since day one. I had to get it removed. When it was on, had a bad vibration, almost rotational. It happened all the time(in neutral, in neutral with clutch in, in gear) and worse when in gear. I got to support whatsoever. Its been two months and no returned calls from the Tremec vendor. Any clues to this? I was told that maybe the alignment is off and the input shaft bounces against the crank hole, then again I was told this is impossible since it is too tight inthere.

sounds like the clutch and flyweel did not get zero balanced before install???? if your in neutral and reving and feal a serious wiggle....it is most likely your rotataing assembly no longer balanced.

Nova-Mann
04-11-2005, 08:00 PM
oops

4MuscleMachines
04-11-2005, 08:12 PM
flywheel is a 28oz imbalance for the cleveland. Doesn't the clutch and plate come zero balanced from the factory?? Since the trans is in a Ford, the dealer replaced the input shaft on the trans to a short input and sent a new clutch disc to match the new splines on the trans input shaft. The balancer on the front of the motor is 28.5oz and flywheel is 28oz, I was told by the builder that .5oz makes no difference..What do you guys think??