PDA

View Full Version : Bung placement for FI Regulator return line on stainless tank.

TT302Z28
01-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Hello to all:

I am in the process of installing the billet fuel filler and Rock Valley stainless fuel tank in my 68 Camaro. The only set back is that the tank is meant for Carb applications so it only has the 1/2"NPT bung for pick up but not a bung for a return line. I decided that before I fill the tank with fuel, I should add an additional bung for the future use of fuel injection.

I am getting mixed and different answers to a simple question, where should I put the bung? Over the years I have just welded them on towards the top of the tank maybe 1/4 of he way down. I have spoken with the following:

Aeromotive - 1/4 down as far from the pickup area as possible

Ricks Stainless - aimed towards the pickup.

DSE - 1/4 of the way down will work fine.

Rock Valley - You will need a "return tube" that deposits the fuel on the bottom of the tank so it isn't splashing into the tank on return. The splashing will cause static and could cause an explosion.

I appreciate being able to ask some of the greatest minds amoungst those who also have my sickness (cars) their oppinions.

camcojb
01-09-2009, 08:50 PM
mine usually enter up top, with an extension tube inside the tank to the bottom of the tank. I don't think I'd aim it towards the fuel pickup due to possible disruption to the inlet from turbulence. But definitely want it coming back under the fuel level, no splashing/bubble/aeration.

If you really want a bullet proof system run a surge tank too, but that's a whole 'nother topic..............

Jody