PDA

View Full Version : Motor Options

JamesJ
03-03-2005, 04:17 PM
I am going to build a motor for a pro-touring car.

I want to use the standard SBC not a LSanything.

This motor will most likely be EFI www.electromotive-inc.com

Steel block / Aluminum heads

The goal is durability, reliability, no custom parts, and the ability to be rebuilt in the future, and must run all day on pump gas.

I think that a good number to shoot for is 600hp, what I mean is that if it cost $200 more for 2hp then I will stop there. I kinda want the most bang for the buck. But I am willing to spend about 8K or so, on the motor.
In a different post ProdigyCustoms said that he would not build a 383 and would build a “406 to 434, (costing about the same to build around $8000 or so and ProCharge it (D-1SC around $2500 or so)” Does anyone know how exactly he plans on doing this? What block would you use? I think 406 would be plenty but if you went up to 434 is that bore and stoke or just a bigger bore? Prodigy if you would comment I would be greatly appetitive. I would just like to know a little more of the details.

JamesJ
03-04-2005, 12:11 PM
I forgot to mention that this motor will be used 95% of the time on the street. With some track time and maybe a few trips to the strip but I am not much of a drag racing fan so it will be for fun only.

And I am looking for something that will be able to be shifted no sooner then 6500, not that a hard thing to do.

Ricoch3T
03-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Well hes not wrong, I was going to suggest a 400 myself. Good motor. I'm sure he was thinking since you have to get a crank and all the goodies to go in it you might as well build a 434. I dunno if i'd supercharge it b/c I tend to think n/a motors make plenty of power for the street. Depends on what you would like to run at the track whether i'd supercharge it or not. I'm not sure you'd be at 600hp, but you should be happy with it.
"Does anyone know how exactly he plans on doing this? What block would you use? I think 406 would be plenty but if you went up to 434 is that bore and stoke or just a bigger bore? Prodigy if you would comment I would be greatly appetitive. I would just like to know a little more of the details."
Does anyone know how he's going to build it for the same price? I explained it above, basically you have to buy everything anyway, thats how he's figuring the same price. 434 is more stroke. Basically a +.030 bore with a 4.00" stroke. I tend to only suggest the 406 though. Less work (for the builder) well usually, and it seems to make plenty of power for doing whatever you wanna do on the street. You can prolly go with whatever he suggest, I doubt he'd steer ya wrong :headbang:

ProdigyCustoms
03-05-2005, 04:58 AM
It is actually going to be cake to make only 600 HP. As my friend Ricoch stated, even N/A, just a 406 would make 600 HP. However, making 600 HP with a N/A motor 400 to 434 inches in a small block, with the head limitations of a small block, is going to make for a rumpty motor. I happen to run a N/A small block 404 pump gas 600 HP motor in a street racer. We cruise it a lot, but I am willing to put up with the fact it does not clear out until 4000 RPMs, if fact in this car I love it.
But for a cruiser, a car that is going to have some miles put on it, boost is best! Using a blower by a number of manufactures, or turbo (s), will make 600 by accident. We have a ProCharger on order right now for a 355 that we expect 650 out of with 10 LBS boost. It is a nice 355, but no real rocket science in it. Basically some decent heads and a nice combination of parts that work. i would guess the cost of the 355 was $6000 or so, maybe a tiny bit more? And p series blower is under $2500.
As far as my fast math $8000 + a blower, $11,000 budget. That is a real round number for a guy asking a very round question. Basically there are many crate engines available and just specking the right cam and blowing a few lbs of boost will easily exceed your goal of just 600 HP. With 400+ inches and the good parts these motor come with, you will have no problem making what you want for HP.
As far a specking out exact parts. When you are ready, ready, I will be happy to help you select parts. I can even provide parts if you so desire, or you can buy elsewhere.
http://www.primediapowerpages.com/cgi-bin/ePages7.filereader?4229aaa100993b28271dc0a80136064 8+EN/catalogs/103931&2D104451
There is a 415" motor in the catalog complete carb to pan for $7500 that makes 450 N/A. A slight cam change that should not be much more then a few dollars, and a ProCharger, and you are there.
If you are serious and ready to order, give me a call. We can call Bill Mitchell for you, spec out you order, set you up with the blower, and get it all sent to you.

protour_chevelle
03-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Build a nasty SB 408. In the future I think I'm gonna have to build one. I can't remember where but I watched a few videos of a 72 Chevelle with a worked 408 and it simply ripped!

-Matt

yody
03-06-2005, 11:42 AM
what prodigy suggested would make for a nice motor, but it will cost what 10,000$!!!!! i would not suggest buying a motor already built. a 434 with a set of afr 227CNC heads a dart single plane and a mild street solid roller with all quality parts would probaby put you at about 650hp and can be done for around $7000, will be lighter without the supercharger and easier to tune. The key to making the car streetable will be the cam. And wiht a solid roller on the street you need to get a cam with very gentle mild lobes.

ProdigyCustoms
03-06-2005, 05:15 PM
He is refering back to a post asking what to build with a $11,000 budget, hence the $11,000 cost of my proposed set up. The 434 would do it, but will not be the mild mannered motor the blower motor is of the wow pedal. There are a lot of ways to skin this one as he has plenty of budget.

yody
03-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Oh, didn't see that. Yes a blower motor would be nice! IF it was me, i would try to build an all aluminum BBC NA but tht might cost just a little more. Nothing beats Forced induction!!(actually many things do, but it just sounded good!)

JamesJ
03-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks for all the great replies. I really want to run a pro-charger since this build I am allowing myself to incorporate more wants then what is just the smartest or cheapest choice. The one thing that I think about is bore vs stroke. I am one of those people who likes more bore then stoke but I don’t have any idea at what bore the head gasket gets to thin between cylinder walls for a completely reliable seal.
Are there different blocks that are better designed, In keeping with the “off the shelf parts” idea I don’t want a block that puts the cam up higher so then I have to get weird pushrod lengths and that kind of stuff. My original plan was to do a nice 383 with blower and set it up so it was just over 600hp for normal use. I probably would not be using the blower to its max but the idea was like you said, It would be very treatable with that low of a hp #
Prodigy in the near future I would like to talk to you more about this and get some more details. I would like to build the motor in 6-8 months since that is when the car will be close to that point in the build.

ProdigyCustoms
03-08-2005, 06:06 AM
No problem, well hook you up when it is time.

WELTERRACER
03-08-2005, 09:16 AM
The motor Frank from prodogy speaks of is mine..

THe entire motor with SC will have set me back less than $6000

Rebuilt short block $1450 (stock crank forged pistons stock crank ARP BOLTS)
Pro 1 heads $1150
HOlley carb $ 425
Dart cool can intake$150 NEW ON EBAY
PSC-1 procharger $2300
Holley fuel pump $65

69boo307
03-08-2005, 09:23 AM
you want N/A power, or forced induction? A nicely built 350 with a supercharger should make 600 at the crank, no problem.

JamesJ
03-08-2005, 02:12 PM
I want to go forced induction. I really don’t want to run a turbo even thou It would be cool to be able to control the amount of boost and all that jaz. My HP number is just what I need, so if I go over by a 100 or so its fine I just don’t want some 900hp motor. I may be the first one to admit it but I think that’s a little too much, at least in a street car that you want to drive.

Ricoch3T
03-08-2005, 02:49 PM
I want to go forced induction. I really don’t want to run a turbo even thou It would be cool to be able to control the amount of boost and all that jaz. My HP number is just what I need, so if I go over by a 100 or so its fine I just don’t want some 900hp motor. I may be the first one to admit it but I think that’s a little too much, at least in a street car that you want to drive.

You're not the only one, I say so too and saying I'm running a 1000hp+ motor in my street car sounds cool, what happens when a little +-500hp motor blows your doors off b/c your just spinning your wheels? Anyway, not trying to start something, only that I agree with your comment! :bananna2: