PDA

View Full Version : 69 Camaro LS1-in the home stretch now!

69Myway
03-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Still shooting to have this done by Goodguys in Columbus, Ohio July 05.

See it all here:

http://mcspeed.homestead.com/69_Camaro_Resurrection.html

Couple of quick highlights.

My freakmode hidden brake system has finally come to fruition (sp?). I build my own 90 degree roller bearing mount and put the 1988 S10 manual brake m/c in the driver cowl. It is hooked to a 1981 Vette prop valve and runs to C5 front brakes and 12" LS1 F body brakes in the rear. The hidden wiper system is fully fuctional using the 1985 VW motor hooked to a 1981 Vette steering column with 1996 Caprice column mounted wiper and cruise. The vintage A/C is all tucked under the fender routed down around and through the passenger inner fender.

The washer tank is hidden in the fender and the overflow tank the same. Intake is routed through a ram air behind the passenger headlight.

I am now fitting the body panels, waiting on my custom header, and getting ready to bust loose on the exterior body work.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/03/engine_bay_painted_1JPG-1.jpg

Nine Ball
03-03-2005, 03:47 PM
That car has come a long way! Engine bay looks very nice, the stripes on the firewall are a different look. Any plans on dressing up the engine itself?

Steve1968LS2
03-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Nice... the stripes on the firewall are very unique.. cool idea and it's nice to see people change it up a bit. :)

Nice color also..

69Myway
03-03-2005, 04:18 PM
That car has come a long way! Engine bay looks very nice, the stripes on the firewall are a different look. Any plans on dressing up the engine itself?

Thanks. Engine dress up? Actually my theme for this project is Complex Simplicity. The idea is that upon first glance the engine and components will appear to be the bear minimum and beyond basic and just clean. After you take a moment to realize what you are seeing, only then will you realize the amount of complex thought, engineering, and process that went into creating the overall cleanliness of the look. This car has full functional cruise and other cool items that are totally hidden from view.

In so much as the engine, I felt it would be really fresh to avoid the "bling bling" and hit you with something that looks fairly basic, yet is packing a set of SLP stage III heads, cam, 2,800 stall, etc. etc. etc.....

I can't decide however if I will put the Vette covers on the rails, or go with mounting the coils on the back of the heads and use more standard valve covers or mill these down. That is my only real style decision on the actual engine.

Nice... the stripes on the firewall are very unique.. cool idea and it's nice to see people change it up a bit. :)

Nice color also..

Actually your car has been a HUGE inspiration for me. I almost did the same mistake on my firewall as you did the first time with the WAY too thick bondo. I kept looking at your webpage and decided grinding it all out and starting over was the way to go.

I surfed the net and thought long and hard about this engine bay combo. The Xtreme smooth firewall, hidden brakes, wipers, relocated wire harness bulkhead, etc, was all part of a master plan to tie the stripes into the engine bay in a way that has not been done before (or at least I have not seen). Sometimes what I can't accomplish with raw dollars like the super awesome blown LS6 in Nine Ball's ride...I try to instead accomplish with creativity and tons of hard hours of labor. In the end I wish I could do both...have an engine like Nine Ball, ultra clean smooth body like Steve1969LS1 and a splash or two of my unique touches to the overall look.

69Myway
03-03-2005, 04:28 PM
BTW-Let me explain what I mean by "raw dollars."

I hvae had virtually NO actual budget for this car. I picked up the LS1 engine for $400 and the trans for $100. My buddy helped me rebuild the trans for free only adding the cost of the TCI converter. It was a natural at that point to blow a bit on the heads/cam, etc. All an all, I have less than $5K in engine/trans, harness, computer, etc.

Piet
03-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Looks great Chris!

Rybar
03-03-2005, 05:20 PM
I like the colour combo, and the motor combo. ;)

I'm building mine on a pretty tight budget as well.

Nice job, and keep us updated!

Piet
03-04-2005, 07:08 AM
Chris... do you have any pictures of the hidden brake setup? (other than the picture of it NOT there!)

Payton King
03-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Great car...What color is that?

litevette
03-04-2005, 09:40 AM
If it looks half as good as your vette when you're done it'll look killer!

69Myway
03-14-2005, 04:55 AM
Chris... do you have any pictures of the hidden brake setup? (other than the picture of it NOT there!)

Yes, but I have been too lazy to upload them. More or less, I went back and cleaned it all up, smoothed out the plenum area and sealed it up tight once I did the final assembly of the brake m/c and lines.

I mounted the windshield washer bottle and pump assembly on the service plate. When it comes time to check the fluid, I will snap the bottle off, remove three 1/4 x 20 bolts and slip the cover out. Then, I will have to stand on my head to view the level. Filling will be done with a hose and a BUNCH of towels to avoid drips on the paint.

Hey...if Hot Rodding was easy...everybody would do it!

I still reserve the ablity to go back to a standard m/c design if needed by simply punching out the center hole on the firewall where the rod goes through and mounting a stock brake pedal assembly.

Payton KingGreat car...What color is that?

It is actually a 1985/86 Renault red. I originally picked this color out as a kid the first time we painted the car. It was as close to a tripple stage candy color as I could find without the expense and hassle of tri stage paint.