PDA

View Full Version : ? About A-body LCA mount locations.

airrj1
03-03-2005, 08:49 AM
I haven't been able to find this in any of my reading to date. Why are the inner mounts of the LCA angled inward (plan view) on A-bodies? And is this called anything? I know that the UCA mounts are angled slightly (side view) and this is Anti-dive. What if anything does this do the front suspension geoetry? It seems that when the LCA pivots the LBJ would both rotate inward towards the CL of the car and also it would move slightly towards the rear of the car. Would this reduce the amount of positive caster? Also, why would GM design this into the car? Packaging, benifit to the geometry, ride quality?

This is just one of those things that has been bouncing around in my mind for a while and I need to ask.

Thanks.

Salt Racer
03-03-2005, 01:18 PM
I normally call it skew. I think it was done to induce roll understeer.

You're right that it indeed decrease + caster on bumptravel, which isn't desirable. GM Rear steer cars have skew in the other direction, which increases + caster on bump.

Most late models don't have this skew. Roll steer is induced by bumpsteer curve with steering turned (easy to do w/ front steer R&P), using different bushing durometer front to back, shape of A-arms (to control how bushings get loaded), etc. And I'm almost certain reduced scrub radius made some of these stuff possible.

Some are facts, some are my wild-azz guesses. I use spehrical bearings on my cars so I don't normally worry about compliance, therefore I don't know much about this subject :)