PDA

View Full Version : The Real Thing or just a Cheap Imitation

NVR2L8
01-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Howdie All,
Been cruisin several On-Line sites, gathering all intel I can and figured it was time to say, "Hello."
A little background history.
Got the 1st gen Bug back in High School. I compare it to Herpes. Once you have it, it never really goes away and there is no known cure. Had a 69 Rag Top, spent more time and money on it than I will ever admit to and like a Bone Head, I sold it. That was about 8 or 9 years ago and life came along to occupy my time and money else where.
Never loosing the desire to own another 69 Rag Top, I recently purchased one and so the Restoration process begins again.
Here's an interesting fact. The first 69 Rag Top, I purchased in 1992 for $1,700.00. A plain Jane, all matching 327, PG. Needing a complete resto and I do mean COMPLETE. Tail panel, Trunk pan, full floors, Dash panel, 2 full quarters, inner and outer rear wheel wells, it was a mess.
The one I just purchased in Dec. 08. Ran me $17,000.00. How's that for inflation.
This one is another Rag Top. MOSTLY done. Just Love those 69 Rag Tops. In need of paint and an interior. Dynacorn body, all new sheet metal present, primed for paint, complete but not original drive train. Set up as a 4sp car.
Considering todays cost, I felt that $17,000.00 was not a bad price. I didn't steal it but I did save quite a bit.

Here's a few questions for the group.
The seller, purchased a Donor car to help complete the Dynacorn shell. He removed the VIN and Cowl Tag from the donor car and has tranfered them along with the Title over to the Dynacorn shell.
My Wife and I have had several long debates on whether or not, this can be called a restored original. If I restore it, (build) it to match the Trim Tag, is it an original or a fake? At what point is a car no longer an original? That is to ask, "At what point, does a car loose the ability to be called an original restored car?"
My wife, is of the opinion that it will be a knock-off and in no way an original. I honestly don't know what to think.
My first 69 had just about the entire shell replaced The frame rails were the only portion salvaged. The Sub and drive train were also true original parts.
Thanks Marc

77thor
01-02-2009, 11:59 AM
It's a fake. Once you use a new Dynacorn shell, it's basically a new car (not original).

NVR2L8
01-10-2009, 02:50 PM
It's a fake. Once you use a new Dynacorn shell, it's basically a new car (not original).

OK, so how far does one take that?
Lets say You replace the Floors, Front and Back, Full Quarters, Tail Panel, Sail Panel, Trunk Pan, Dash Panel, Rocker Arms and Pillar Posts. How far does one go before it longer becomes original? Forget about, "Stock" Numbers perfect. I'm talking, "Original" What amount of "Original", "Sheet metal" is required to consider it original from 1969?

200horse
01-10-2009, 08:46 PM
OK, so how far does one take that?
Lets say You replace the Floors, Front and Back, Full Quarters, Tail Panel, Sail Panel, Trunk Pan, Dash Panel, Rocker Arms and Pillar Posts. How far does one go before it longer becomes original? Forget about, "Stock" Numbers perfect. I'm talking, "Original" What amount of "Original", "Sheet metal" is required to consider it original from 1969?

well said i agree a bunch of friends and i have had this talk many times and still is up in the air

fantasygoat
01-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Maybe once you've replaced more than 50%?

MonzaRacer
02-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Dynacorn is a GM authorized replacement part so its a retoration but with out the proper numbers punched in firewall, etc.
Build it drive it and have fun, insure it as it would take to replace and have fun, forget trying to pass it off as completely original.

justasquid
04-06-2009, 01:54 AM
I'd have to say its no longer orginal, as its not. the tag is the only thing that is.. and quite honestly, should not even be legal in my mind. How can you take vin tag from one car, and put it on another complete car?

as far as at what point is it no longer orignal. I would say as soon as you replace any metal. If you patch an existing panel is one thing. But the moment you replace complete panels, in my mind, it is no longer original. It may be the same car, but a far cry from an orignal example.

I cant see someone stated a car is all original and having the car have rust repair on it. To me, thats is restored, but not original.

there is a reason a true original car is worth so much money.