PDA

View Full Version : looking for info, new to pro-touring.

shawn_s
12-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Hey, it’s my first time posing here but I have been looking around for a while. I’m looking into starting a pro-touring project, I don’t even have the car yet and I don’t plan on starting for about 8-12 months, just getting all the info I can, and I have a few questions. i plan on doing most of the work myself, I do have some experience, currently helping my dad restore a 67 Camaro RS.

First a few details,
The car: a 79-81 Trans Am t-top black with a gold bird and black and gold interior
The engine: a fuel injected LSx with a custom/functional shaker
Transmission: probably a T-56
Wheels: a larger version of the snowflake wheels (still looking for options)
Front Suspension: sway bar, tubular upper and lower control arms, coil-overs or lowering springs
Rear Suspension: still up in the air on this one, either performance/lowering leaf springs, or preferably, a rear sub frame with modern suspension.
I’m hoping to put down 400-450 hp

I want to make the car a daily driver, for the summer time anyways, so it needs to be reliable, decent on gas, replacement parts need to be easy to get and since I’m young and not loaded, try to keep a reasonable budget.

So now onto my questions
Is there a C5 brake conversion kit available for second gen. f-bodies?
Is there a newer, larger version of the snow flake wheels?
Where is the best place to get the engine wiring harness?
Where is the best place to get motor mounts/ new cross member/ headers for an LS swap?
Where can I find a fuel tank? The only ones I can find for a fuel injected F-body stop at 73
Are the benefits of upgrading the rear sub frame worth the cost over just putting in better leaf springs?
What sort of rear end should I use? 10 bolt? 12 bolt? Custom rear end?

I’m just looking for people’s opinions/ideas right now, I know when it comes down to it, it all depends on what I like, my budget etc.

I probably forgot some info so if anyone has any questions about what I’m trying to do, just ask.

shawn_s
12-31-2008, 06:32 PM
just realized i forgot something, I'm also looking into power rack and pinion steering, but the only kits i can find dont fit with an LS conversion. any ideas about that one?

Roadbuster
12-31-2008, 07:10 PM
Welcome! :cheers:
Sounds like a nice project!

Take a look at year one's bandit Trans Am. I think they have the snow flake wheels.

Everyone here runs something different, look and ask and you can work out what you want for your project.

Once again, welcome!

Jon

SLAMDIMPALA
12-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Look at Prodigy Customs empty nest for the wheels they look pretty close. Also talk to Blake at Speed Tech as they just did a ta. Hope this helps some

shawn_s
01-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Hey guys, I have looked at the year one car, empty nest and the speed tech car already. got a few ideas from them. ill keep looking and i'll have to remember to ask questions if I see something I like.
thanks
if anyone else has any answers to my questions or any input, id love to hear it

WS6
01-01-2009, 05:46 PM
if you go into the suspension and brake forums you'll find a lot of options and opinions, just do a search in the forum itself. The LSx forum is lower down. 450 rear wheel horse power is so very simple with these engines while achieving good gas mileage

basically, everything you want and then some is readily available and you have options with in each category. You're basically building a copy of my 79 only I'm not set on the color yet. Welcome to the site. Look around, search, and read there's a tremendous amount of info here.

opnwide
01-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Yeah, tons of options for your car. The lsx engines are real nice. I'll probably put one in my vette, but I couldn't do it to my TA. Start searching these forums, and you'll find all kind of info! Also checkout performanceyears.com and pontiaczone.com. I hope you checked out that Bandit going to SEMA link in this section. One Baddazz TA.