PDA

View Full Version : Speedtech body mounts VS. DSE body mounts...

Flyboy
03-03-2005, 02:04 AM
Ok, here's the deal... myself and another individual are trying to figure out which body mount kit we should invest in. DSE claims that their body mounts are hard coated to prevent corrosion that can occur between two dissimilar metals. But Speedtech's kit looks to be constructed just as well as the DSE mounts, they actually COME with the hardware (whereas you have to invest another $60 in a stainless hardware kit for DSE's), and are cheaper altogether... but they are simply anodized.

The question we really need answered is... is there really THAT big of a risk of corrosion with using solid body mounts that are ONLY anodized? I live in the desert. Not a lot of rain/water on the streets, no salt on the roads in the winter... you get the idea.

Input/opinions? :help:

69 Blackwidow
03-03-2005, 05:38 AM
hey flyboy i have the speedtech body mounts, its a nice kit for the price. as for the corrosion. i don`t think you will have a problem. is the frame in good shape, sometimes rust from old rubber mounts would dish out the frame and hold water. mike

Flyboy
03-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Can't speak for the other person, but my frame is in pretty good shape. 99.5% rust free. When I get back from Kuwait, I plan on cleaning it up and hitting it with some POR15, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you were to do it all over again, knowing what you know now, would you still buy the Speedtech kit, or try DSE's?

67rsssls
03-03-2005, 11:33 AM
I have the Speedtech mounts on my car. They are very nice quality and considerably less expensive than the DSE. I am using weld in subframe connectors so corrosion between the mounts does not concern me very much since they will be there to stay.

69 Blackwidow
03-03-2005, 05:04 PM
for the price yes i would get the speedtech again. mike

69Lowbird
03-03-2005, 06:23 PM
I spoke with Todd from speedtech a while back and he was talking about having his stuff hardcoated. You might want to call and see if it can be done. From what I understand it is accomplished by having it anodized more than one time.

f-body
03-08-2005, 09:45 AM
You could always spray the mounts with POR 15 or paint before install. If you were really concerned spray the area under the body bushings with POR 15 let it dry overnight, install the bushings and then give it a quick spray again over the top of everything. If POR 15 is a little extreme Some rust preventative paint might do ok.
I cleaned, prepped, and blasted the entire subframe and the underside of the body on my 74 Z28 then coated with POR 15 and TopCoat Gloss Black. It was a lot of work but it looks great.
I also just installed my Global West subframe bushings on my 74 Camaro and I painted them before I installed them with flat black Rustolem just for a little extra protection and painted the body area and then painted after install. This car is stock for now with redone fron suspension using GW stuff. The Anodized blue looks great but I was also concerened about corrosion since its driven often in all kinds of weather.

Steve68
03-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Speedtech here, I think there very nice, I used antisease on the mating surfaces, so I can get them apart, Steve

RSSS391
03-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Annodizing and hardcoat annodizing are similar but primarily different due to the much thicker hardcoat oxidation treatment. The thicker hardcoat better resists corrosion and scratching (I believe its almost as hard as sapphire!). But is that very important in our situation....I seroiusly doubt it. I have had polished aluminum brackets bolted to my iron block for over 10 years now and I have never seen it oxidize next to the block any faster than the rest of the bracket (at least significantly).
Check out: http://www.fortwayneanodizing.com/01_Pages/hard_coat.htm
Another note is that with the DSE GP discount right now cost is almost identical to the Speedtech and although the DSE bushings don't come with the bolts they do come with the cool looking stainless washers.