PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a rear shock

funbnme
12-27-2008, 06:21 PM
I bought a shock cross-member kit from BRP.
http://www.brphotrods.com/Bolt%20in%201st%20gen%20shock%20relocation%20kit.h tml

The kit calls for a shock that's 11" collapsed and 18" extended with a 1/2" tolerance allowed.

Well, I got shocks that are right within those specs...BUT I forgot that my car is lowered, so when I put the shocks on the car, they don't work. The shock is bottomed amount on the driver side and only has about 1/4" travel on the passenger side.

Right now, with the car on the ground, my shock length (from eyelet to eyelet) is 11 1/2" long ( I guess that's called the neutral position ).

I think I need to have at least 2" of shock travel...please confirm that?

If I'm right about the shock travel needed, then here's what I think I need to try to find:

Need a shock that's about 9 1/2" collapsed and 13 1/2 (or more) extended.

Need to have mounting eyelets on both ends. 5/8" inch mounting holes.

Don't really need a super hi-performance or multi-adjustable shock. It's a mostly street driven car.

Please point me in the right direction or tell me who to call to get the shock I need.

funbnme
12-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Can anyone think of a reason why I couldn't run this shock?

Product Name: QA1 75 SERIES STEEL SMALL BODY SHOCK - 190 LB COMPRESSION / REBOUND - 1-5/8" O.D., 1-3/16" BORE, 1/2" ID BEARING MOUNTS, 3.97" STROKE 9.12" COMPRESSED LENGTH

I think this would give me an extended length of almost 13". That would be a bit over 2" of compression travel and a bit under 2" of extended travel.

Product ID: QA17543
Inventory Status: In Stock

At $100 each, it's pricey...but I need something really short.

I have no idea how this compared in term of the compression rates of the standard shocks.

68BNUT
01-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Hey if you get those shocks let me know how it works. I have the relocation kit but havent put it in yet due to that problem.

funbnme
01-07-2009, 04:47 AM
The shock I wound up getting is a front shock for a 1944 Chrysler Royale. I think it fits up to the early 50's of that car. I'll dig up the part number tonight.

I had to go with such a short shock because my rear was lowered. The ride is firm compared to the stock replacement shock I had, but it's not too rough. I wouldn't call it "truck like", but you do feel more bumps in the road than before.

I also had to modify the bar from the BRP relocation kit because I had about an inch before the rear-end housing would hit the bar. So we cut out the center and welded in a bent tube that would clear the housing.

Before you install the bar, try to put it in there and put the car down on the ground and see if you have to modify the bar.