PDA

View Full Version : Some Good Torque Wrenchs??

muthstryker
12-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Hey guys getting ready to start on my suspension and was wondering what some good torque wrenchs are. I was looking at some snap on ones.. this one in particular...

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=68396&group_ID=17226&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Has anyone ever tried one of these?

Any other ideas on some would be great! thanks

slowcamaro
12-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Yes they work quite well and are probably the most popular beyond craftsman. You probably can go wrong with any of the big suppliers though...Mac, Matco...

gkring
12-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Watch ebay and pick one of these up instead.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=76643&group_ID=19918&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

I watched awhile and found one used very little with box, paperwork, etc for $250. If you are working on anything late model the automatic torque angle measuring is the cat's meow.

1969CamaroRS
12-24-2008, 09:32 PM
I have used the Tech wrenches at school and I love them. If I could I would use nothing else but the Snapon tech wrenches they are very accurate and easy to use and to see you coming up on the torque spec. Wish I had sprung for them rather than the older school click type.

muthstryker
12-25-2008, 09:08 PM
hmm, thanks guys. Was wondering if the max ft lbs. that they go up to (250ftlbs) is enough for suspension. im new to all this and dont know.

muthstryker
12-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Watch ebay and pick one of these up instead.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=76643&group_ID=19918&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

I watched awhile and found one used very little with box, paperwork, etc for $250. If you are working on anything late model the automatic torque angle measuring is the cat's meow.

what do you mean by the "automatic torque angle measuring"? im confused on the "angle measuring", whats the purpose of that? Sorry for the dumb questions just want to find as much as i can out befor i start bolting up suspension stuff!

justforfun
12-26-2008, 06:55 AM
Torque and angle (tighten to a lower torque then turn an additional angle like 90deg) is way more accurate than just a torque, but chances are not much you are working on will have a torque & angle spec. I have heard the LSX rocker bolts are torque + angle.

I like my snapon torque wrenches (but they are expensive) & have heard complaints about the click style craftsman wrenches breaking after about 2yrs & can't be returned.

slowcamaro
12-26-2008, 07:44 AM
yes 250ftlbs will be more than enough for most suspension applications.

when you start working on big trucks, school buses and such you then may run into problems. At that point though you'll probably invest in 3/4" and 1" drive tools.

muthstryker
12-26-2008, 11:28 AM
hmm thanks guys, and justforfun, thanks for clearing that up for me! going to keep an eye out on ebay for that torque wrench gkring posted.

Rallye455
01-03-2009, 03:09 PM
I have a couple Snap On and love them. I wouldnt own another brand torque wrench.

MonzaRacer
02-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Have the 3/8 Tech angle wrench, and hope to afford the 1/2 soon too but have changed jobs and had to pick up more tools, a lap top for work and such so money had to go elsewhere.

ProTouring442
02-08-2009, 04:48 AM
I have a couple Snap On and love them. I wouldnt own another brand torque wrench.

Why not? Many of the Snap On torque wrenches are made by Central Tools (NOT "Central Pneumatic!), with Snap On ratchet heads, and can usually be purchased at more reasonable prices.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

T_Raven
02-08-2009, 12:18 PM
I have a beef with the torque angle function on digital torque wrenches. I was using a snap on unit to torque head bolts on a 5.4l Ford. The problem I had was that when the bolts were getting tight, they stopped turning really smoothly and would "jump" slightly as I tightened them more. Well the torque wrench didn't pick up those jumps and didn't count that part of the movement into the angle. So basically if I kept turning to the required angle they would've been over tight. Maybe I should've done something to prevent the bolts from doing that, maybe I should've lubed them differently, but that's the problem I've had with them.

GBodyGMachine
02-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Whats a torque wrench? What happened to Good n Tight????

I use snap on wrench's exclusively. We have to have them calibrated every month as well. I have a set of Craftsman for home, and they actually cal better than the snap on wrench's. I'd use them at work, but the engineers have an issue with the less expensive tools.

1969CamaroRS
02-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Whats a torque wrench? What happened to Good n Tight????

I use snap on wrench's exclusively. We have to have them calibrated every month as well. I have a set of Craftsman for home, and they actually cal better than the snap on wrench's. I'd use them at work, but the engineers have an issue with the less expensive tools.

I dunno one of the demos the Snap-on guys did was calibrate one of their torque wrenches against a Sears (and other brands). It was scary how far off Sears was compared to the Snap-On one that was within about 0.01%.

GBodyGMachine
02-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I dunno one of the demos the Snap-on guys did was calibrate one of their torque wrenches against a Sears (and other brands). It was scary how far off Sears was compared to the Snap-On one that was within about 0.01%.

Thats a demo, not after months of use in a shop correct?

83hurstguy
02-10-2009, 08:46 AM
I have a 3/8" TechWrench... 5 years old, calibration was still dead on. And it's been used quite a bit. I really like it.

I also like the Snap-On Wrenches that use the torsion bar instead of the spring, or whatever it is... they have the side thumb knob rather than the rotating handle.