PDA

View Full Version : Convertible "Shimmy"

Marauder
12-23-2008, 04:42 AM
I apologize if this topic has been addressed before but I didn't find it in my search.

Just wondering if anyone knew how to minimize the shimmy that is inherent with the vert bodies, particularly the A-bodies like my goat. What suspension mods, if any, are more important for convertibles?

Marauder
12-25-2008, 05:55 AM
I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of frame X-brace but I have not seen them offered for A-bodies....It won't be getting a roll cage.

So far I've installed the Hotchkis "Trailing Arm Mount Braces". Upper (adjustable) and lower trailing arms and front and rear sway bars. That "shimmy" still annoys me though.

vintageracer
12-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Poly body mount bushings replacing the factory rubber bushings produce amazing results. It is also an easy upgrade.

If you have not made this conversion do this first and then see if you are satisfied with the results.

Marauder
12-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Poly body mount bushings replacing the factory rubber bushings produce amazing results. It is also an easy upgrade.

If you have not made this conversion do this first and then see if you are satisfied with the results.

Thanks for the suggestion, I recently purchased a new set of the rubber body bushings but haven't installed them yet, didn't know that poly was available. Do they make the ride rougher? Who provides them?

724tim
12-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I recently purchased a new set of the rubber body bushings but haven't installed them yet, didn't know that poly was available. Do they make the ride rougher? Who provides them?

Your ride will be a lot stiffer.
Energy Suspension Hyperflex Bushing Kits
part # 3-18112R Red Bushings or 3-18112G Black Bushings

Marauder
12-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Your ride will be a lot stiffer.
Energy Suspension Hyperflex Bushing Kits
part # 3-18112R Red Bushings or 3-18112G Black Bushings

Thanks, nice 442, did you use these bushings on that car? Is the ride stiff to the point of being harsh or just really firm? I plan to drive this car quite a bit and need to compromise between good handling while still being somewhat comfortable.

724tim
12-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks, nice 442, did you use these bushings on that car? Is the ride stiff to the point of being harsh or just really firm? I plan to drive this car quite a bit and need to compromise between good handling while still being somewhat comfortable.

Thanks,
I used those along with the body mounts they offer it can be a harsh ride on some back roads but most of the time its just really firm along with the bilstein shocks and eibach springs it makes for a nice handling ride.

vintageracer
12-25-2008, 06:26 PM
My experience is totally different!

I found the change alone to poly body mount bushings I have installed on my convertibles to make the car ride much better since the the body and chassis are more one unit instead of 2 pieces. I found NO increase in a rough or "harsh" ride. I thought the car rode and certainly drove much better. Remember that we are talking about convertibles in this thread.

The ride your car provides is a function of the suspension. Either how good or how poor you have your car setup. A car does not have to have a "harsh" ride to handle good. Just look at modern vehicles and the air ride cars.

Yes, Urethane bushings in the suspension pivot points can certainly make your car ride more harsh. Do you have urethane bushings in the rear-end bushings mounts where the rear upper arms bolt to the top of the rear-end? If you do, remove them and install rubber bushings or a johnny joint. There rear-end design in an A body will bind with hard/solid bushings at that top suspension point. This could make your car "shimmy" as you describe.

Once again I suggest you replace only the body mount bushings before you make any other change and see the difference at that point. This one change may be enough to make you happy!

Marauder
12-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Mike, did you use Energy Suspension body mount bushings or polys from another supplier?

vintageracer
12-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Black Energy Suspension Urethane Body Mount Bushings.

Make sure you get the kit for convertibles.

6'9"Witha69
12-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Make sure you get the kit for convertibles.x2 as Convertibles utilize more points on the frame.

Roadbuster
12-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Can the convertible kit be used on a coupe as well?

There was a thread here about making the body bushings out of derelin, but the thread starter had issues getting the manufacturing done.

I think the more solid the better, it will allow the suspension to do its job.

Jon

6'9"Witha69
12-26-2008, 02:55 PM
If going solid I would advise boxing the frame.

Marauder
12-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Well, my convertible frame is factory boxed...