PDA

View Full Version : Gear set for Vette Dana 44

68ls1
08-22-2004, 02:22 AM
Does anyone know a vender for a 3.90 or 4.10 ring and pinion set for an 86 vette Dana 44 IRS? Preferably someone who also supplies the installation kit, shims and the like. Has anyone here with IRS experience ever done this swap on their own, or is it a rearend shop deal.

Thanks for the help.

Chill, Noel.

69Myway
08-22-2004, 02:45 AM
The good folks at http://www.tpis.com/ have had gear sets in the past. I don't see them on the site right now, but you might just want to give them a call. They have sold the 4.09 sets in the past as a complete unit.

I installed a Richomd 3.75 in my last Vette Dana 44. Had to get the bearings, shims, etc. seperate.

The housing for the Vette and Viper are almost identical. You can install Viper gear sets with a minimal mod to the casing for clearance. Many guys go that route as well since you can get more aggressive gear ratio kits direct from Dodge for the Viper. Then simply install the set in your Vette housing.

Good luck!

Tiger
09-09-2004, 01:13 AM
Hi Noel,

I have bought the Viper 4,10/4,11 gearset from BMR in Florida, Ask for Frank, he will for sure remember those two crazy norwegians :seizure:
I was told by a vette guy (USA ZR1 Clint) that the Dodge parts are stronger than than Richmond parts.
I got an installation kit from Ecklers.
My parts are still in the box and wont be installed for a while so I dont know the details about that but I guess i'll heat the housing a bit in an oven (to make the aluminum expand) to put more shims at the ends of the posi.

André

MrQuick
09-09-2004, 06:55 AM
can you sub a Viper housing and install one in place of a Vette? The Viper unit looks alot beefier. Also what mods are needed with the viper gear into vette housing swap? TIA

Tiger
09-10-2004, 12:13 AM
This I dont know, sorry.

as for the mods to fit the viper gearset to the vette housing, I have been told that it fits without mods at all, but I'll know more once I get to it.

André