PDA

View Full Version : Starting on 1st gen front suspension

TravisLee
12-22-2008, 02:33 PM
I am about to pull the subframe out of my 68 camaro to complete the suspension, steering, and braking. I am on a budget so I cannot afford to buy a complete subframe so I will use the stock cleaned and powdercoated one.
I was looking at the CPP complete polyplus front end kit, the Hotchkis TVS system with bilstein shocks, subframe connectors, solid body mounts, and the Prodigy customs total g-machine braking system with 4 piston calipers all around. I will be using the stock control arms, as dictated by my budget, and replacing all the steering.
My question is, does this sound like a good comprimise between budget and performance for a big block weekend cruiser? Am I missing anything? Can you recomend any other bushing kits? I want to use all polyurethane and change everything that has deteriorated or worn out from age. Would it be wise to replace all the steering compnants regardless of ware? Centerlink, drag link, pitman arm, etc. while I am at it?
I know this is a lot of questions and I thank you for your time and input. I want to do it right the first time, and do not mind waiting to save up to buy parts that are a little more expensive. My goal is to have a great looking car I can drive to shows and do some of the power tour when completed. It will not be raced or open tracked.

Mkelcy
12-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Take a look at this thread, which has a pretty decent discussion on front suspension "solutions," particularly the second page: https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45932

1969CamaroRS
12-22-2008, 07:09 PM
If you are going to use the stock arms, I'd look into a tall ball joint or the Guildstrand mod:
http://www.pozziracing.com/first_gen_suspension_geome.htm#Re-located%20upper%20mount

Lots of good information on David Pozzi's site, I'd read up.

If you can swing it in the budget the AFX tall spindle makes the largest difference in handling of any of the mods.

AFX Spindle:
http://www.t56kit.com/FAQ/

I'd definately replace all the worn suspension components. I don't think the drag/center link is a wear component thou. As long as the taper is fine you can reuse it.

Also look into Delrin bushings at least as a replacement for the worn bushings in your stock arms.

Hope this helps!

cudaman
12-22-2008, 09:24 PM
If there is any one thing I would recommend you change in your parts list, it would be to toss the poly bushings in favor of delrin/aluminum bushings, preferably in a non-stock arm, if budget allows. Some will disgree, but I would personally go so far as to even have solid bushings before poly, even on a street car. Also, the Guldstrand Mod is stupid easy, absolutely free, and works wonders. I have pretty much all the other items mentioned and am very pleased.

Also, do yourself a favor and swap in an IROC steering box so you can actually feel the mods you're making. Money well spent. Best of luck.

camrat68
12-22-2008, 10:49 PM
I've got to second Cudaman on ditching the poly bushings. At the very least, make sure the poly bushings are greaseable. Mine aren't and they drive me nuts! The car sounds like a rust bucket or something. I used a tip for inflating a football to try to get some grease into the polygraphite bushing and that made it quieter for about a week. I've pretty much had it, so greaseable del-alums are going in next.