PDA

View Full Version : 3-in-1 - lathe, mill, press

The WidowMaker
12-21-2008, 07:02 PM
anyone use one of these for their home? they can be had new for 1500-2k. i know im not looking at .0001 accuracy, but maybe .001-.003? i wouldnt mind a lathe and a mill, but id rather keep the size down with an all in one. id use the mill/drill much more often than the lathe, but i would make washers, body bushings, delrin bushings etc with the lathe.

any suggestions?

thanks, Tim

David Pozzi
01-09-2009, 10:32 PM
I haven't run one, - wonder if they really work that well...

A larger mill-only could double as a drill press, and do a much better job of milling AND drilling. Then I'd get a separate and bit larger lathe if you really want one. I think a tiny mill/drill/lathe like that would be tough to make larger stuff on, and body bushings would either be the limit, or over the limit, but I'm guessing here.

There is a magaine "The Home Machinest" and they have an internet forum you should check out.
David

shep
01-10-2009, 01:36 AM
My dad has one enco I think the Mill was not stable enough to use for what he was trying to do. It should be OK for .005-.010 accuracy. The Lathe will do up to around 7-8in diameter and about 2ft long. His is wore out after 5 years of use (probably 3-4 hours a day at least 6 days a week) its accuracy is now probably .005-.010.

The WidowMaker
01-10-2009, 03:31 PM
thanks for the replies. from my other research, they seem to be a waste of money. everyone agrees that a purpose built lathe and a purpose built mill is the best option.

John McIntire
01-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Do you have a link to the manufacturer of the device you're talking about?

Irnmike
01-15-2009, 02:38 AM
www.Smithy.com (http://www.Smithy.com)

This is the most common one. Just remember, these are pretty light duty.

Duesey2
02-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Shoptask makes the only 3 in 1 worth buying in my opinion. Digital readouts,power feeds, cnc upgradeable. Plus it's the only one with really usable dimensions. www.shoptask.com is the site. Not cheap but anything worth buying usually isn't.