PDA

View Full Version : FEB '09 PHR, Di ck Harrell COPO

John McIntire
12-20-2008, 10:57 AM
anyone see this in the last issue of PHR? Nice car, but that stupid rear spoiler on top of the trunk??? C'mon! Are you serious? What were you thinking?
Sorry I don't have a pic to post, and its not up on PHR's site yet, but those of us that subscribe will see.

John McIntire
12-20-2008, 10:58 AM
thats funny! Dicks name was censored!

bbcc
12-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Ya, it looks kinda lame. In the article Paul Zazarine explains that it was put on when the car when it was originaly bought. Or at least thats how it came off. Guess bad taste has been around for a while.

"The spoiler was installed to make the car distinctive," Dave said. "It was a real eye greabber!" Uh..sure :hmm:

Rybar
12-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Is it just me or has PHR started to tank? I'm not liking my last 6-7 issues. Have been thinking about cancelling my subscription.

No offence to disco era or drag only cars, I just dont care much to read about them every single issue.

BossaNova
12-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Somebody plz post pics so we'll all know what you're taling about.
Thanks.

Van B
12-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Is it just me or has PHR started to tank? I'm not liking my last 6-7 issues. Have been thinking about cancelling my subscription.

No offence to disco era or drag only cars, I just dont care much to read about them every single issue.

I was told that Hunkins was getting pressure to do more drag style stuff because it sold more copies of the mag. I guess you do what pays the bills.

cmraman
12-21-2008, 09:19 AM
anyone see this in the last issue of PHR? Nice car, but that stupid rear spoiler on top of the trunk??? C'mon! Are you serious? What were you thinking?
Sorry I don't have a pic to post, and its not up on PHR's site yet, but those of us that subscribe will see.

Hey man, that's how that car came from Harrell. That car is on the 5th owner, it's the Only silver COPO that Harrell did. This car was put back exactly how it came from Harrell in 69. Plus did you really read the story? That car has an amazing history.

John McIntire
12-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I read the story, but didnt fully understand if it was original to the car or not. I didnt even know "rice" existed back in 69. Usually you see the same thing on Honda's!

Gordz32
12-21-2008, 10:02 AM

Agreed, and its not just you. I laughed at the tech articles this month... They're just riveting!:smoke:( Sarcasm included ) Used to be my Favorite Magazine

Mr.VENGEANCE
12-21-2008, 02:24 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

mikey
12-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Harrell used to build some bad as* stuff before his untimely death. His shop was about 2 miles from my parents house. He rivaled Yenko ect. but was more on a regional scale.

Part Time
12-26-2008, 09:30 AM
[quote=Mr.VENGEANCE;472790]https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Sour Puss?

Dude... You're crazy! But I think you already knew that!

Pepsi out of your nose burns!

TonyHuntimer
12-26-2008, 09:42 AM

I guess if you want to see more Pro-Touring Camaros and less disco era cars...you've got to susbcribe to Camaro Performers Magazine.
:)

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

TonyL
12-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Rest assured that PHR will fix itself. They're just trying to sell magazines. Problem is, they listen to market surveys and focus groups about what will sell them. There's only so much of "off the wall" type projects (disco camaro, the talledega project) that the buying public will tolerate. Sooner or later they'll get back to what works. That, or something will have to give.

vintageracer
12-26-2008, 10:12 AM

YES, it has tanked in my opinion! How many engine and head modification stories, disoc drag cars and UGLY A$$ Talledega builds can you do every month.

I liked the mag 3 years ago however I must have been in the minority as Rupp indicated it did not sell as well when PT was the focus. The changes to add drag and engine stories must have increased their circulation as they continue to run that crap. I especially DESPISE the repeated crate motor comparison stories. I guess free engines must really get the editors attention. ALL the magazines have beat the crate motor comparisons to death!

Oh well, my multi year subscription to PHR is up so I'm not going to renew. They will get back down to the $10.00 subscription offers in the near future and then I may reconsider. At this point PHR is NOT worth $19.97/year. $10.00 maybe or a least I will reconsider!

Just go ahead and call me cheap!!!

Tony_SS
12-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Well if all else fails... just add girls.. hot sexy young booty. Everyone loves girls.. who cares about the cars anyway.

Bow Tie 67
12-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Hey man, that's how that car came from Harrell. That car is on the 5th owner, it's the Only silver COPO that Harrell did. This car was put back exactly how it came from Harrell in 69. Plus did you really read the story? That car has an amazing history.

This article made the issue for me. The fact the car was within an hour of me had me dreaming. As far as the spoiler goes, I think it makes the car unique, and I for one can picture it cruising around back in the day.

Steve1968LS2
12-27-2008, 12:28 PM
YES, it has tanked in my opinion! How many engine and head modification stories, disoc drag cars and UGLY A$$ Talledega builds can you do every month.

I liked the mag 3 years ago however I must have been in the minority as Rupp indicated it did not sell as well when PT was the focus. The changes to add drag and engine stories must have increased their circulation as they continue to run that crap. I especially DESPISE the repeated crate motor comparison stories. I guess free engines must really get the editors attention. ALL the magazines have beat the crate motor comparisons to death!

Oh well, my multi year subscription to PHR is up so I'm not going to renew. They will get back down to the $10.00 subscription offers in the near future and then I may reconsider. At this point PHR is NOT worth $19.97/year. $10.00 maybe or a least I will reconsider!

Just go ahead and call me cheap!!!

CHEAP! lol there.. I did it...

Actually the mag was doing pretty well when it focused on pro-touring.. it owned that nitch.

Steve1968LS2
12-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Agreed, and its not just you. I laughed at the tech articles this month... They're just riveting!:smoke:( Sarcasm included ) Used to be my Favorite Magazine

What? You didn't need to know how to paint a trunk? ;)

The COPO car was ran in the 07 issue of Camaro Performers, so we had it first. :woot:

vintageracer
12-27-2008, 01:10 PM
What? You didn't need to know how to paint a trunk? ;)

The COPO car was ran in the 07 issue of Camaro Performers, so we had it first. :woot:

There you go! PHR has stooped so low as to re-hash and rerun a car that was already featured in another magazine. How fresh and original is that?

So how does Camaro Performers mag do in comparison to PHR subsrciption growth and ad revenue wise? I know PHR got complaints about all the Camaro's in PHR when the focus was PT so they changed the focus of their mag. It seems to me that since they launched a mag directed solely to the Camaro there had to still be a lot of interest from the Camaro crowd. Even Hot Rod has changed again for the worse in the last year. Maybe Frieberger should get a little more credit than he did when he was there!

It seems to me that it's all about ad dollars or should I say the lack of ad dollars! How many of you out there click on the ads to the right of this post on PT.com? I guess I am old school because the ONLY time I have clicked on these ads is for their phone number to call the vendor. I personally want to talk with somebody instead of surfing a site looking for what I need. Let the poor SOB that works there do the work for me. There's that lazy and cheap thing again!

I still like to pick up a mag and go to the library (crapper) and read. Hard to do that with the laptop so for now I still want a real paper magazine.

The real question is just how long real paper magazines will continue to exist?

Steve1968LS2
12-27-2008, 01:23 PM
To be fair the story was written by someone else, in a different way, so it wasn't technically a "pick up" story. But, it was the same pictures and car.

As for the wing.. hey, it's how the car was made so I don't have a problem with it. It's a VERY rare car with a cool story behind it.

Steve1968LS2
12-27-2008, 01:29 PM
So how does Camaro Performers mag do in comparison to PHR subsrciption growth and ad revenue wise? I know PHR got complaints about all the Camaro's in PHR when the focus was PT so they changed the focus of their mag. It seems to me that since they launched a mag directed solely to the Camaro there had to still be a lot of interest from the Camaro crowd. Even Hot Rod has changed again for the worse in the last year. Maybe Frieberger should get a little more credit than he did when he was there!

1. Camaro Performes has been doing very well on the newsstand compared to PHR. Most months we sell more. However, PHR has been around a LONG time and has a huge subscription base. I don't remember the exact number but it's near 100,000. CP has only been selling subs for a few months. However, we are proud of how we've been doing on the newsstand compared to other magazines and feel our book keeps improving. If you like Camaros ;)

Paper mags will last until there's a sutible replacement. That replacement isn't the internet since computers haven't reached the portability and easy function of a magazine.

Also, there's still an allure about getting your car in print. How many threads do you see "HEY!! my car is on the internet!!!" as opposed to "Hey, I got a feature in XXX magazine".

So, magazines still have some life left in them, if they turn out a good and interesting product. :)

vintageracer
12-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Also, there's still an allure about getting your car in print. How many threads do you see "HEY!! my car is on the internet!!!" as opposed to "Hey, I got a feature in XXX magazine".:)

That's my goal also. To be featured in a triple X (XXX) magazine!

It would be nice if my car was also in the feature article.

I guess you have to be from the San Fernando Valley for that to happen!

Bow Tie 67
12-27-2008, 02:08 PM

It would be nice if my car was also in the feature article.

I guess you have to be from the San Fernando Valley for that to happen!

No just drive up there. LOL

shmoov69
12-27-2008, 02:29 PM
I still like to pick up a mag and go to the library (crapper) and read. Hard to do that with the laptop so for now I still want a real paper magazine.

I'm assuming you don't have an I-Phone!! Great to take to the "library" too!!

Hey, what does this have to do with PHR!?!?? I ain't got what it takes to be in one of them there mags!! LOL!

Tony_SS
12-27-2008, 08:48 PM
It seems to me that it's all about ad dollars or should I say the lack of ad dollars!
Well at least they aren't selling sex oil in a bottle.. oh wait.

As long as there are toilets.

nvr2fst
02-21-2009, 11:26 PM

I seen this car build come together as it was being assembled next to my torn apart camaro at Perfection Autosport. This car in person is beyond the pictures shown. I don't really care myself for the wing but back in 69 it was probably a pretty cool add on and gave the care distinction the same we try to give our cars distinction now.
I believe I have pictures of it prior to the restore and will post when I find them.

fantasygoat
02-24-2009, 12:41 PM
I think the only magazine I look forward to anymore is Car Craft.