PDA

View Full Version : Hinges w/ Fiberglass hood?

sonicblue70
03-02-2005, 12:29 PM
I have a '70 camaro and have just put a fiberglass hood on and the problem I am having is that it seems that the back of the hood isn't heavy enough to set the back of the hood all the way down. I have the light weight springs on but for some reason the back of the hinge wont go all the way down unless I push down on the backside of the hood. :help!:

Travis B
03-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Will it go down without the low tension springs on it??????????????????

sonicblue70
03-02-2005, 01:05 PM
I asked the guy doing the body work and he says it does it with or without the low tension springs

gmachinz
03-02-2005, 01:40 PM
I'd put some nice "made in Taiwan" hood pins on it for the ricer look. :poke: Heh-what's up, Corey?

sonicblue70
03-02-2005, 01:46 PM
I'd put some nice "made in Taiwan" hood pins on it for the ricer look. :poke: Heh-what's up, Corey?

That may work for Monte Carlo Owners :spank2:

Travis B
03-02-2005, 02:27 PM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Did it go down with the factory Hood! Did you try some lubrication??

sonicblue70
03-02-2005, 02:50 PM
I thought about some wd but it is going for paint here in a couple weeks and dont want any petrolium out and about. Withe the factory hood it did go down all the way but I did have the hinges powder coated and it may be just enough to hang up the hood. I just figured I would post this to see if it was a common problem or something withe the hinges.

Corey :firefire:

Travis B
03-02-2005, 07:14 PM
YEs it is especialy after powder coat! Get all the paint work done then try the wd or maybe a strategically placed shim or 2! Good luck! :dunno:

gmachinz
03-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Ahhhh, SNAP! That hurt...... :injured: I can't wait to see it painted! Did you ever find out anything about the door reveal rivets? -Jabin

sonicblue70
03-03-2005, 04:56 AM
Ahhhh, SNAP! That hurt...... :injured: I can't wait to see it painted! Did you ever find out anything about the door reveal rivets? -Jabin

Yes and no, The company I was going to buy them from D&R classics has a $20 min order. I only need 10 screw so that is like $4.00. So I have another post on nastyz28.com to see if anyone live in Warrenville, Illinois where D&R is located to pick them up and send them to me.

Corey

MrQuick
03-03-2005, 08:03 AM
sounds like your hinges are out of adjustment, or your hnges are binding.. Try to lower the rear slot and raise the front a hair. Is your motor in? I like to fit the hood by loosening the hinge bolts ,shutting the hood and get it square, then slowly tighten all bolts.

scogin918
03-03-2005, 10:32 AM
is that minimum there so they will pay the shipping. offer to pay the shipping and see if they will sell it to you.

sonicblue70
03-03-2005, 10:38 AM
MRQUICK I will give that a shot as soon as I get some paint on it.

is that minimum there so they will pay the shipping. offer to pay the shipping and see if they will sell it to you.

I tried and they just said with all ORDERS the is a $20 min but if I wanted to come up to their store I could by however many I needed.

camrat68
03-07-2005, 11:08 AM
I had that same problem on my '68 Camaro after installing a fiberglass hood with low tension hinge springs. All I had to do was loosen the three hood hinge to fender bolts and close the hood. Then have a helper lift the hood very carefully just far enough to tighten the bolt just enough to prevent movement. It took three tries to get it just right. Then I tightened the bolts.

sonicblue70
03-07-2005, 11:15 AM
I had that same problem on my '68 Camaro after installing a fiberglass hood with low tension hinge springs. All I had to do was loosen the three hood hinge to fender bolts and close the hood. Then have a helper lift the hood very carefully just far enough to tighten the bolt just enough to prevent movement. It took three tries to get it just right. Then I tightened the bolts.

Cool...... Thanks for the info that is what I was wondering. :bananna2:

qwik1320
03-07-2005, 06:18 PM
My 73 had the same problem, the fresh paint on the hinges was binding up.

sonicblue70
03-08-2005, 06:19 AM
My 73 had the same problem, the fresh paint on the hinges was binding up.

What did you do to correct the problem?

qwik1320
03-08-2005, 04:32 PM
I worked the hinges about a hundred times and sprayed with some silicone. Every once in a while the one side still sticks up about 1/8" and I have to push it down...we had a hell of a time getting the hood to fit well in the first place though, the thing was bowed in the center, especially on that side. :banghead: Don't buy from Unlimited Products.

sonicblue70
03-09-2005, 05:57 AM
Yeah after I thought about it for a while that is what I was kinda thinking I was going to do but I want to wait until after its painted to start spraying them down with chemicals and sh....tuff. Thank for the help as soon as this gets some paint on it I will try these things out.

BEEBE
03-09-2005, 07:41 AM
What I did was - eliminate the springs , and install a lightweight prop rod from a sunfire or cavi . This eliminated the hood bulge and a few #'s :)

indyjps
03-10-2005, 03:44 PM
i eliminated the hood hinges, just opened the hood and drilled a hole thru the hinges, used a small pin to lock the hinge. this was on a strip car though, dont know how detailed your car is.