PDA

View Full Version : Global west cross shaft problem

Dougs67camaro
12-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Hey guys. Just getting around to reinstalling my front suspension on my 67 Camaro and ran into a problem. I rebuilt the control arms with global west del-a-lum bushings, Afco low friction ball joints and global west offset cross shafts. I installed the drivers side upper control arm with no problems. I went to install the passenger upper arm and found that the cross shaft is hitting the frame perch in the rear just to the outside of the rear shaft bolt. I took the control arms back off and noticed that the perch is a little longer on the passenger side in the rear and thats why it's hitting. Is it safe to notch that part of the perch to get the cross shaft to clear? If not, what do you think is my next step? Thanks. UPDTAE AND CORRECTION TO ABOVE:: I mentioned that the perch looked wider on the passenger side, i just looked again and see that the bolts holes are just drilled more forward than the drivers side. Is this normail for the holes to be drilled in different spots than the drivers side? Here is apicture off where the shaft is hitting the frame perch. Sorry about the quality of the picture, it came from my phone. You can see where it's hitting though. I think i should be able to notch the frame right there and have no problems. I don't think it will cause any structural problems? I added a picture of a frame i found online and indicated with a arrow and a white circle where i would notch the frame. Is this ok to do?

jerome
12-16-2008, 02:42 AM
See if putting a couple of washers in will fix it

sik68
12-16-2008, 07:16 AM
That's where the alignment shims go. It sounds like it will be ok if you throw a couple in.

Dougs67camaro
12-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys. I called Global west and they said with the offset cross shafts that i would need atleast that much shim in the rear anyway, so i am fine.