PDA

View Full Version : Frame: repair or build from scratch?

PT Goat
03-02-2005, 08:32 AM
I am finally getting started on my PT project, and I am truly starting from almost nothing. My plan is to build a 1964 Pontiac LeMans or Tempest, though I have not found a nice enough body to start with yet. I may even use a VFN fiberglass body, but that is a whole 'nother thread.

Back to my point...I do have several 1964-5 A-body parts cars to pick parts from, one of which is a convertible with a boxed frame. I had planned on using the boxed frame as the basis for my PT project. It has some rust and will need moderate repair and a complete restoration, as it sat under a rusting convertible which was parked in the mud for 27 years. My question is, given the cost/time/effort of restoration, would I be better off having a frame built from scratch? I know that's a very difficult question to answer, but what price range am I looking at for a custom frame? What is the upside of having a custom frame over a factory boxed frame?

wally8
03-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Good choice MWRitter. I'm staring at the same frame in my shop (not boxed though)

I'm not sure what it would cost to have a new one built but you see advertisements for rollers for other cars in the 6K to 9K range. I couldn't guess what the frame alone would cost.

What do you ultimately want the car to do? Just how bad is the frame you're thinking of using? The front corners can rust themselves beyond repair which would force your decision.

I've contemplated the same thing although my decision was whether or not to fab it myself. I'm going with the original frame for a variety of factors (cost, time, overall use).

Wally

PT Goat
03-03-2005, 06:38 AM
Wally - thanks for the reply. One of the problems is that I am not exactly sure how bad the frame is...because it is still under the car. Therefore I am looking at a significant time investment just to get a good look at it. I have given it the best inspection I can, and found only one bad spot under the passenger door. It looks fine behind the front wheels, where there is usually trouble.