PDA

View Full Version : Horsepower per pound of boost?

FMG CAMARO
12-12-2008, 04:11 PM
this may be a stupid question but would a twin turbo set up (t3/t4 turbos) at 8lbs boost make more power than a procharger p1sc at the same boost level. Also is there a rule of thumb for horsepower added by pound of boost? I want add forced induction to my car and am limited to the amount of boost due to 10:1 compression. I would like to get the most bang for my buck. thanks in advance!

Frank

camcojb
12-12-2008, 07:18 PM
this may be a stupid question but would a twin turbo set up (t3/t4 turbos) at 8lbs boost make more power than a procharger p1sc at the same boost level. Also is there a rule of thumb for horsepower added by pound of boost? I want add forced induction to my car and am limited to the amount of boost due to 10:1 compression. I would like to get the most bang for my buck. thanks in advance!

Frank
yes, turbos will make more power. 8 pounds should be a 50% increase or so, but that can vary quite a bit depending on blower/turbo type and size, engine combo, air temps, etc.

Jody

Procharmo
12-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Correct, turbos will give more power for the same boost level. However a P1SC/D1SC carbed blowthru will allow more boost before detionation in the 10:1 CR senario. (Cooler/denser aircharge).
If your car is a street car in the 500 - 1000bhp range the power will be more controllable in the supercharged application as opposed to the turbo.
A Procharged conversion will IMHO be slightly cheaper and easier to convert than twin turbo with EFI and electronics controllers.

14lbs boost = 1 atomsphere = 100% power increase - losses.
7lbs = 50% power increase - losses.
If your motor makes 300 hp N/A and you boost to 7lbs.
That will give 450hp not including losses.
7lbsboost = 150hp therefore 1lbs boost = 21hp in that application
This calculation is appoximate as losses can be complicated to estimate.
Theres a whole lot more old and new technology on this subject. I think its best to pick someone whose done the same as you want to do to your car and copy them! After that you can experiment and break barriers.