PDA

View Full Version : Build your own racetrack! Ebay find.

TonyHuntimer
12-08-2008, 11:10 AM
This is just like when you were a kid...well not really. :)

I was looking around Ebay and found this racetrack kit for sale.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Concrete-and-Steel-Race-Barriers-San-Jose-Grand-Prix_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a570Q7c66Q3a4 Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3 a1Q7c294Q3a200QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZite m230312328549QQitemZ230312328549QQptZLHQ5fDefaultD omainQ5f0QQsalenotsupported

You can sell anything on Ebay!

:)
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

derekf
12-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Pretty sure I saw some of the barriers stacked up from the old Dallas Grand Prix last week, too. Wierd.

TonyHuntimer
12-08-2008, 01:57 PM
The San Jose Grand Prix was run for 3 years. On the 4th year it was "supposed to" run itself for another few years. At the end of the 3rd year, it was obvious that it wouldn't run itself, so they gave up the rights to have it here on the city streets. Now it's at Leguna Seca...which is a pain in the arse to get in and out of on huge events like this. So I got to see it for 3 years, and I probably won't see it again. It was nice. 5 minutes on the light rail train and I was at the race. Now it will be about an hour to get to within 5 miles of the track and about 2 hours to go the last 5 miles. Forget about it!

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

HarleyR
12-08-2008, 02:52 PM
If I was going to build a track it WOULDNT have walls... so when I run out of tallent theres nothing for me hit....

The Stickman
12-08-2008, 05:02 PM
The San Jose Grand Prix was run for 3 years. On the 4th year it was "supposed to" run itself for another few years. At the end of the 3rd year, it was obvious that it wouldn't run itself, so they gave up the rights to have it here on the city streets. Now it's at Leguna Seca...which is a pain in the arse to get in and out of on huge events like this. So I got to see it for 3 years, and I probably won't see it again. It was nice. 5 minutes on the light rail train and I was at the race. Now it will be about an hour to get to within 5 miles of the track and about 2 hours to go the last 5 miles. Forget about it!

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Actually none of that is quite right. The promoter pitched it to the city saying no public money would ever be asked for. Then after the first race was run the promoter went to the mayor and vice mayor asking for money. They didn't spring it on the city council till months later, and said that if they didn't grant the funds at that time the event would end. the city council granted millions that would be for many years. After the third year(second after the money) the event ended. The event never went to laguna Seca. All three events were with Champ car. Champ Car went under and was merged/absorbed by Indycar earlier this year.

TonyHuntimer
12-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Actually none of that is quite right. The promoter pitched it to the city saying no public money would ever be asked for. Then after the first race was run the promoter went to the mayor and vice mayor asking for money. They didn't spring it on the city council till months later, and said that if they didn't grant the funds at that time the event would end. the city council granted millions that would be for many years. After the third year(second after the money) the event ended. The event never went to laguna Seca. All three events were with Champ car. Champ Car went under and was merged/absorbed by Indycar earlier this year.

Hey Stickman,

I don't see how you can say that none of it is quite right... I don't see how this could be wrong when I wrote:

So I got to see it for 3 years, and I probably won't see it again. It was nice. 5 minutes on the light rail train and I was at the race.

And I got this right at the end when I wrote...

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

The Stickman
12-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Hey Stickman,

I don't see how you can say that none of it is quite right... I don't see how this could be wrong when I wrote:

And I got this right at the end when I wrote...

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Well I said quite right. Not completely wrong